• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Easy Hi-Contrast Tool Tray for Frunk?

BigGuppy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the little bit of wrenching I've done so far on the NC700x, the hardest part for me has been keeping track of the bits. Unlike my bicycle, where I can work in the apartment, the motorcycle gets its work done outside. I've been using the open frunk to gather things, but:

* the frunk interior is black
* the screws are black
* the zipties are black
* my screwdriver is black.

Lots of scrounging in the frunk. Not a high amount of visibility.

Someone somewhere wrote when they built their garage workshop the first thing they did was paint the entire cement floor red just so they could see things that dropped.

I spent a few minutes fashioning an easy high-visibility tooltray. It ain't fancy. It's just a Tyvek post-office mailer covered in red duct tape, but it does the job. Not the prettiest first version, but wow can I see stuff easily!

Ideas for improvement: taping a few flat magnets in the base to hold screws fast and so I can also rest it on my topcase rack and not have it blow away.

20170817_191418a.jpg

20170818_091301b.jpg

Better ways, earlier solutions?

I had some leftover butyl soundproofing material I put in my frunk that also lights up the interior.

Attachments

• P4172550.jpg
    P4172550.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 315
One of my first bikes was a '59 Triumph Tiger Cub. What with Lucas electrics, riding in the dark or rain was a maybe thing. So yeah, tools and a flashlight were standard equipment. Of course flashlights back then were spotty too.

Now I always carry a "Larry Light". LED's with a magnet and pocket clip it's just the thing for finding stuff at the bottom of your trunk/frunk, whatever. I have one in each bike and toolbox. Very tough too.

I just put in a battery operated LED strip. Lights up really good.

I have a couple of these I was going to install (one) then decided on the butyl that also may have changed
the bike sound by quieting any 'drum' effect from the frunk. Between that and the header decat I know it is different.

I've ordered 5 sq ft of soundproofing I'm going to line my 2nd gen NC frunk.

I completely gutted a 2010 Insight door panels included installed this stuff and sound deadening paint.
I also went to quiet Michelin tires from the OEM low rolling resistance (LRR) tires which were harsh riding.
The change was dramatic.

My helmet ( HJC IS-MaxII) barely fits as it is so any light will have to hide in the lid.

I removed the panel at the bottom in an attempt to get more room but I'm wondering- will that limit the weight I can store in the frunk? Did I see that the "limit" is only 4 pounds?

my NC's frunk is already lined with acoustical absorbents: most of the stuff i carry in it.

I have a lightbulb moment: What if you used PlastiDip to coat your frunk in white or any color you want?
When you want to sell it, you just peel it off without leaving any residue unlike the soundproofing material.

It's not scratchproof, but it does make an easy "high contrast" liner without messing everything up.

I have a lightbulb moment: What if you used PlastiDip to coat your frunk in white or any color you want?
When you want to sell it, you just peel it off without leaving any residue unlike the soundproofing material.

It's not scratchproof, but it does make an easy "high contrast" liner without messing everything up.

That'd be cool. It kind of fits the original visual thinking: a "surprise" color when you open the frunk. I thought Honda Red would be good, but my first try is a little overwhelming.

This thread got me thinking the same thing. But then why not just go with a spray paint for plastic? Kinda doubt you would lose the sale over a more visible interior.

my method of organizing the frunk and keeping its stuff from getting dinged is multicolored and covers the majority of the interior surface area anyway -- including where my LED flashlight is stored ; }

This thread got me thinking the same thing. But then why not just go with a spray paint for plastic? Kinda doubt you would lose the sale over a more visible interior.

If the paint gets scratched, it just doesn't look good. Also the heat from the engine and sun can heat up the paint, making it prone to cracking.
It's also more difficult to get nice even coats with paint than with plasti dip, because it runs less.

Husky Bucket Buddy

I was using the "one big bag" for awhile, but yesterday after having to dig around twice for little scissors, I decided I wanted compartmentalizatio.
Went to the hardware store and bought this:

20170923_182502a.jpg

20170923_182523a.jpg

I need to roadtest it for a bit. But hopeful. I figure to still keep big bag in the middle.

Back