• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

engineering help? please?

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Friends,
I bought a set of these:

bikemasterpeg.jpg

and the biggest bracket isn't big enough for an NC700x.
I'm disgusted with myself for not knowing what size to order or even how to tell what size the frame is so that I can buy a bracket at Home depot.
Help?
How can I attach these "freeway pegs" to my NC?
My own ingenuity fails.

restriction: NO drilling into the frame!

Wrap a tape measure around the frame to determine the circumference. Then go here and let it calculate the diameter for you.

Either that or get a cheap slide measure designed to give internal and external measurements. I got a plastic one for about a buck.

Wrap a tape measure around the frame to determine the circumference. Then go here and let it calculate the diameter for you.

Either that or get a cheap slide measure designed to give internal and external measurements. I got a plastic one for about a buck.

diameter times 3.1415927 = circumference
circumference devided by 3.1415927 = diameter

Strat,
Much as I hate spoiling everyone's fun with pi, according to my calipers the diameter of the frame tube behind the horn, I'm assuming that's the one you're asking about, is 1.4 inches or 35.5mm. Plus or minus .1mm, just to be on the safe side.

Bob

Ok... here's the problem I'm having... if I measure the circumference... I recall I get something like 4.5 (inches or centimeters... I will have to check that at lunch time).... now if I go to Home Depot looking for the correct sized clamp.... I should look for .... ????
I don't know..... I'm not sure how you buy these.
Math and I parted ways in 6th grade. We have not met or spoken to each other since.

Strat,
Much as I hate spoiling everyone's fun with pi, according to my calipers the diameter of the frame tube behind the horn, I'm assuming that's the one you're asking about, is 1.4 inches or 35.5mm. Plus or minus .1mm, just to be on the safe side.

Bob

I'll try to find a 1.5 inch bracket... if that's the one I need... I don't get why when I measure the thing and get 4.5 that translates into 1.5... should be obvious to me, I know but it's not. 1.5 it is then.

I think this is the item that will work, now .. the next engineering problem is ... is it strong enough to support 210lbs or less.
I don't expect to put all my weight on it, but I'd like to be able to.

Last edited:
I don't expect to put all my weight on it, but I'd like to be able to.

Why would you wanna do that, Strat???? I don't think you can even do it :)
In what situation do you see yourself standing on the highway pegs...???? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It looks like you would need something closer to 1 3/8 than 1 1/2. Also, if you think about how you will be mounting it I imagine the direction of force would apply a twisting movement to the cable clamp. If you mount the pegs using that, once you get it tight, push down on the peg and check for bending. My guess is the next step would be to pull up on the peg and try to straighten out the cable clamp enough to get the footpeg back out of it. Sorry to sound negative, but I doubt the clamp would be any where near strong enough to be safe.

Bob

Those would be iffy. They are cable/hose clamps and are not designed to hold significant weight. I used them for the tool tube but that is only a couple of pounds.

ok... i will do that... I just had the stupid idea that I would as you guys first.

I didn't mean that as brusque as it appears in text form.

I just meant that once you know the diameter of the frame then a clerk in the store should be able to help you pick out some suitable hardware, as he will (should?) be familiar with the various items and options available at that store.

Didn't mean to sound like I was giving you the brush off.

The reason 4.5 translates into 1.5 is that practically every home has a tape measure they can use to measure circumference while fewer homes have calipers or other suitable devices for measuring diameter. You need to know the diameter because that is how clamps are generally sold....by what range of diameters they can accommodate.

Last edited:
The reason 4.5 translates into 1.5 is that practically every home has a tape measure they can use to measure circumference while fewer homes have calipers or other suitable devices for measuring diameter. You need to know the diameter because that is how clamps are generally sold....by what range of diameters they can accommodate.

thank you. I get confused between diameter and circumference. 'remember radius pretty well. 'Got some clamps at the store.. They aren't pretty, but I think they'll work.
pictures will follow since folks always like to see those.

I'm wondering how the pegs mount on the new CTX models. The frame is likely very similar or maybe identical to the NCs? I'll need to drop by a shop to eyeball them but perhaps the NC's can use (some of) the stock CTX hardware. Probably the biggest con though would be cost since the plastics would need to be swapped also. Has anybody looked into this?

FAIL!

I couldn't make it work. After buying two sets of pegs, various brackets, and wasting about $60, nothing worked.
Sorry, there will be no pictures to show of that.

Back