• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extended warranty

przemekm

Reaction score
Visit site
Does someone have extended warranty via Honda Motorcycles Protection Plan - Honda Powersports ?

Last weekend I checked dealer nearby and my experience is awful. Dealer at Fremont, CA, pushed hard to other provider. I wanted to go with Honda then price went more than 25% to suggested retail on the webpage. Any experience with extended warranty? Is it worth to have?

I commute (almost) daily 30 miles (total) + some weekend short trips and around town. Honda NC700x 2015 since August 2016 (bought used one with 800mil on her). right now 4k on the odometer.

I don't have, never had, and never will purchase an extended warranty.

But, it was explained to me by a former Honda dealer that they make more money off the third party insurance contracts than they do with the Honda plan. That is probably why they pushed in that direction. I was also told that it's critical to find out whether the covered service can be performed by any dealer in the country, or if it needs to be taken back to the dealer that sold the warranty.

If you do your own service and repair, then obviously an extended warranty is a waste of money. If you get all your service done by dealers, the odds are still that the extended warranty is a bad deal. The pricing is structured to make the buyer lose and the company win, on average. However if the purchase of the warranty gives you peace of mind worth the price, then you'll have to decide.

We're now seeing NC700Xs running past 100,000 miles with no major service required.

Does someone have extended warranty via Honda Motorcycles Protection Plan - Honda Powersports ?
I do.

I have four years on top of the standard one year plan for a total of five years, with unlimited mileage. Paid about $435 for it. Inexpensive insurance, especially since I ride a LOT of miles and wanted piece of mind, especially since I have a DCT.

Is it worth to have? Well that depends on if you need an expensive repair (that is due to a defect in materials or workmanship) or not. I have not used mine, and hope I never have to, same with all my other insurance. All insurance on the planet it designed to make the company money and the customer lose, on average, otherwise they would be out of business in a year ;-)

My warranty is transferable to the next owner, which means selling the bike might be easier if I ever go that route.

Last edited:
I purchased it and I am at the end of the fourth year. I have only had three issues with the bike and the first two were within the first year. The only issue outside the first year was a leaking radiator and I consider that to be a freak occurrence. In 30 years of riding, I have never sprung a radiator leak on a Honda motorcycle. The person that repaired the radiator was 100 percent sure it was not caused by external damage.

There are two trains of thought. Better to have and not need or be willing to take your chances. If you like living on the edge and have a lot of faith in Honda products, go without. Your odds are pretty good you won't need it BUT, what if you do? Your call.

Back