• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

favorite helmet still at old price (pictures, links)

The positive thing there is that if you wear a hi-viz helmet, you will stand out even better.

Absolutely true. Only problem is for some reason the Hi-vis color is bad about fading. The two I had were turning white after a year. Most manufactures now put a warning on the box about fading to avoid complaints.

Another factor is solid color stands out best. Any pattern reduces the visibility.

Absolutely true. Only problem is for some reason the Hi-vis color is bad about fading. The two I had were turning white after a year. Most manufactures now put a warning on the box about fading to avoid complaints.

Another factor is solid color stands out best. Any pattern reduces the visibility.

Yes, I've seen the warnings about fading. However, my HJC CL16 Machine is holding up well.
image.jpg

I have specifically seen the warning on an HJC SyMax helmet that was solid color HI-Vis.

My fading was on Scorpion EXO 900 helmet. I complained to them within warranty and got a new free helmet. Just had to send a picture of fading and they mailed the helmet to me. It too soon faded. A friend got two free ones from them for fading. Good service from Scorpion but now their new ones have the warning on the box.

Full disclosure I was riding 30,000 miles per year at the time with much of it in hot Georgia sun.

Interesting. Thanks for the reference, ricksride. HJCs have always been among the worst headache producers for me. In fact, I bought an HJC which I thought was that model, but it didn't look quite like that, before buying my Profile about 6 years ago. Couldn't make it 20 minutes without a big headache.

Still want a Snell-certified modular that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. LS2 is supposed to have another out next year. Great find, OP!

i dont think you will ever find a snell- certified modular.

Read a study a couple years ago that verified a significant reduction in accidents with a rider wearing a white helmet vs a black helmet. The helmet is most visible thing as it is typically higher than cars around it.

not to forget the heat . black helmet will absorb more sun light and making you hotter. White reflect the light away.

I've been seriously considering a modular for my next lid, you can't beat that price. What's always held me back going modular is I've been concerned about giving up a little extra rigidity/safety to the swinging mechanism should I land on my chin... I need to do some more research on the matter though...

RE: Hi-Viz and fading. My current Shoei Qwest in Obnoxious Yellow has held up great. About once a month I'll put a coat of wax on it (Honda spray polish is quick and easy) to protect it from the sun's UV rays just like any other paint. 3 years and 45k miles of the Texas sun beating down on it, looks good as new to my eyes.

trey

Time to add a little to this helmet thread.
I know that the solid white is a good noticeable color to own.
But when the one you're looking at came in one color, black and the one size that fits you, you don't get picky... you buy-it-now.

So... I've found the solution to make it safer.
White D.O.T. tape.
CF7393CDCC535336235ED233CC0323D233C76ECD36D2CB635383D2A5939B7399CA23C97360CC3653CAA0CD.jpg

I can cut to size & shape.
It will definitely help.

The reflective tape finally got here on Sat.
Here is what I did tonight.
I failed art in high school so it's by no means perfect. You can't hide anything from the camera, though.
From a few feet away, it's not too bad.
Helmet front & back, untouched.
IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1167.jpg

Painters tape then cut to size with the reflective tape on the back side.
IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG_1164.jpg

On the helmet with & w/o flash.
IMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpgIMG_1169.jpgIMG_1170.jpg

Back