• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fenda Extenda installation

weird harold

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting ready to install a fenda extenda and I have a few questions.

1. do I need to remove the fender for the installation?

2. should it be attached using tape, contact adhesive, the supplied plastic "rivets", small SS bolts, or a combination of any of these?

Please let me know what has worked well for you guys. Thanks

Rich

You can install it while the fender is mounted, you just want to be careful when drilling the holes that you don't go right through the plastic and into the tire. I slid a couple of wood shims in between the tire and the fender while drilling.

Most kits include 3M tape on the extender. This assist in holding the extender in place while drilling and also provides some added stability for the installation.

Hope this helps.

Just about any way you can think of has been used. Some used only the included mounting stuff. Some have glued (epoxy) it. Some have riveted. Some including me have used small SS bolt, lock nut, and plastic washer under the bolt head.

I removed the fender. Not hard at all. Gave me a chance to clean it good as well. Stuck fenda extenda in place. Put down a piece of painters tape across fender and drilled two holes for some stainless 10/32 cap bolts with locking nuts to secure extenda. Took about 30 minutes.

I also put a bead of silicone on the seam under the fender to keep water and dirt from collecting between the "fenda" and the "extenda".

Last edited:
Yeah, just about any method can be used. I went with the tape and short stainless button head screws.

Just a couple suggestions. fit the extenda to the fender and check the alignment before you actually install it. I had originally planned to just bolt the two pieces together but when i tested the fit I found the tape was needed to space out the extenda so that it fit flush with the bikes fender. If you decide to use screws and nuts, be careful to avoid overtightening. The adhesive tape has some give to it and if you tighten the screws and nuts too much you'll end up dimpling the fender under the screw heads. If that happens, it won't be long before small cracks will develop around the screw holes. I used loctite on the nuts since I couldn't really tighten the bolts, but there are people who feel that using Locktite anywhere within 5 miles of the plastic fender and extender will destroy them. I installed the extenda over a year ago and everything is holding up well. At any rate if you can find nylock nuts that are thin enough to provide sufficient clearence between the tire and screw end, that would be the safest way to secure the screw. Of course you can always use pop rivets instead of threaded fasteners.

Hope that helps

Bob

I used 4 rivets, 2 medium on the top, and 1 small each side. What took the longest for the install was the multi layer paint matching and clear coat I put on it. Except for the line, it looks like its part of the motorcycle. I even painted over the rivets, and clear coated them too. So far after a season of riding, all has held up extremely well.

Just ABS/PVC cement here. Don't like drilling through the plastic. Took the fender off to do it. Same method I've used on three other bikes with plastic fenders.

Thanks for all of the ideas and Greg, I appreciate the link to the old posts. I think I'll go with some silicone seal and pop rivets and touch up the rivet heads with some black paint.

Question : did you guys that used pop rivets slip a small washer over the inside of the rivet before pulling? Also, is there much danger of cracking the fender with the rivet head. Finally, what is the best way to drill the holes for the rivets? Can a center punch be used or is it best to begin with a very small undersized bit to keep the bit from "walking".

Thanks for the help guys

Question : did you guys that used pop rivets slip a small washer over the inside of the rivet before pulling? Also, is there much danger of cracking the fender with the rivet head. Finally, what is the best way to drill the holes for the rivets? Can a center punch be used or is it best to begin with a very small undersized bit to keep the bit from "walking".

Thanks for the help guys

I used some small washers of the inside to insure the rivet didn't pull through the extenda. I used an air riveter will stainless rivets and it pulled nice a tight. I used masking tape on my fender to protect the finish then measured and marked with a marker. Use a small drill bit first then the correct one for the rivet being used. The masking tape will protect the fender in case you slip with the drill or riveter. Put a couple layers on.

Easiest done with the fender remove but be careful you don't loose the spacers in the fender.

Using plastic push rivets instead of metal rivets or screws

I installed my Fenda Extenda today. At first I was going to remove the fender to do the installation like I have with my previous bikes. But I decided to do the installation with the fender on the bike. I measured and marked the rear of the fender with painters tape, cleaned the inside surface with water first and then alcohol. Next I attached the Extenda with the tape supplied. Then I carefully drilled the first hole at the upper side position and inserted a plastic push rivet through the hole. I then drilled the opposite top side and pushed through another push river. Next I drilled and inserted 2 plastic push rivets at the bottom of the fender and the Extenda was firmly attached. And you don't have to be concerned with over-tightening these push rivets. It looks nice and clean with just black, flat, 3/8" round rivet heads showing on the outside of the fender. Plus being plastic no worry of rust or the need to reprint.
And it was no problem avoiding puncturing the tire with a wayward drill bit. Very quick, clean and simple installation.:rolleyes:

I installed my Fenda Extenda today. At first I was going to remove the fender to do the installation like I have with my previous bikes. But I decided to do the installation with the fender on the bike. I measured and marked the rear of the fender with painters tape, cleaned the inside surface with water first and then alcohol. Next I attached the Extenda with the tape supplied. Then I carefully drilled the first hole at the upper side position and inserted a plastic push rivet through the hole. I then drilled the opposite top side and pushed through another push river. Next I drilled and inserted 2 plastic push rivets at the bottom of the fender and the Extenda was firmly attached. And you don't have to be concerned with over-tightening these push rivets. It looks nice and clean with just black, flat, 3/8" round rivet heads showing on the outside of the fender. Plus being plastic no worry of rust or the need to reprint.
And it was no problem avoiding puncturing the tire with a wayward drill bit. Very quick, clean and simple installation.:rolleyes:
Pics or it didn't happen. [emoji41]

I checked youtube before I installed my Fenda Extenda-- really didnt like the plastic rivet/regular rivet/screw look so I just used the tape supplied plus a liberal amount of RTV adhesive sealant with some spring clamps overnite---no issues and a very clean installed look. Of course -- clean the heck out of the inside of the fender before attempting.

I also used a bead of silicone sealer inside the fender on the mating edges, to stop moisture seeping down between the two components.

Back