• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fifty-one Miles of Punishment

TN Thunder

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend and I took our bikes out for a day of riding in the Chuck Swan Forest, a Div. of the TN State Forest here in E. TN. The NC performed great. We ran 51 miles of crushed rock, gravel, sand, dirt, mud holes and forded the same stream at two different locations. Last one was about 18" deep. I bumped the bottom on a rock that was not visible. The NC does get a little skittish on very loose rock but that little dude is spunky. This was all in the mountains. Lots of up hill down hill and switchbacks to deal with. You could spend a week in that area and not ride all of the roads in the forest. Proud of the NC but boy is my rear end tired. Total mileage today was 184 and a lot of saddle time. I may need to postpone the saddle bags and go for the skid plate and engine guard instead.

I agree about the engine Guard. The exhaust system under the motor is very vulnerable as I found out to my cost.

Cool ride...I plan on being up that way in May. Plan on riding up river road, parson's branch, Easy stuff.

Last edited:
51 miles of on road, about 1 hours. 51 miles of off road, about a day. I have had to hammer my skid plate back into shape. Skid plate also covers your exhaust.

DrDudd, let me know when you'll be in the area and maybe we can hook up for a ride. I too, want to ride Parson's Branch. I've been over Rich Mountain on a Valkyrie and that wasn't fun on the switchbacks that were heavily rutted from rain run-off.

Unless the creek rises, I'll be in Stecoah, NC for a long weekend May 19. Camping at Kickstand lodge. Other NC's are supposed to be there.

That's about 2 hrs. from my house. I may try to ride over there that morning. If we meet, great. If not, will be a good ride anyway.

I've got a 320 mile loop planned for Saturday. Start and end near Suches, GA. Can't wait to ride the DCT in the mountains.

Saturday, , , the 12th of March or in May??

If you're talking about this coming weekend, , , I live in Dahlonega & would love to put a face to the Forum messages!! I had back surgery in January & still can't ride but if you're talking this weekend, , , tell me where & when & I'll meet you there!!

Alfred
Dahlonega, GA.

I've got a 320 mile loop planned for Saturday. Start and end near Suches, GA. Can't wait to ride the DCT in the mountains.

Saturday, , , the 12th of March or in May??

If you're talking about this coming weekend, , , I live in Dahlonega & would love to put a face to the Forum messages!! I had back surgery in January & still can't ride but if you're talking this weekend, , , tell me where & when & I'll meet you there!!

Alfred
Dahlonega, GA.
This weekend.

I'm staying near the Rock Pile @ 60/19 on Porter Springs Rd. I should be coming from Lula on 52 to 19 mid to late afternoon. Sometimes I come back into town Friday night and eat at a pizza place in Dahlonega. Perhaps we could meet there. I'll PM you my phone number.

Got your PM & replied!!

Pizza sounds good!!

This weekend.

I'm staying near the Rock Pile @ 60/19 on Porter Springs Rd. I should be coming from Lula on 52 to 19 mid to late afternoon. Sometimes I come back into town Friday night and eat at a pizza place in Dahlonega. Perhaps we could meet there. I'll PM you my phone number.

Last edited:
We had a burger and BBQ and had a good time talking for an hour or so. Always nice meeting fellow forum members.

thanks Dave for meeting up!! Like you I do enjoy meeting new friends & having a general "Bench Racing" session!!

I'll be back on a bike soon & if you get back to these parts this Summer I'll host a ride!!

We had a burger and BBQ and had a good time talking for an hour or so. Always nice meeting fellow forum members.

Back