• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front brake caliper housing meets disc lock

totenfetch

Reaction score
Visit site
Leaving the house today I forgot my disc lock was in place. Dumb I know, but well here I am.

It looks what I would call the disc brake caliper assembly/housing broke free from the mounting bracket as a result of my error.

IMG_20180428_140731.jpg

I've done a forum search and not found where others have replaced the bracket sub-assembly, so I'm asking. While I do have experience with auto repair, this is my first repair on motorcycle. It looks like this is fairly involved in terms of steps required, but I am likely overthinking the job. So I'm curious if your have insights or suggestions that you would be willing to share.

Sorry you broke your brake. I don't know much about repairing bikes yet. I'm a newbie like you.

Did you have a reminder cable? I use disk locks on the front and the back wheels when parking my bike. I attach a bright orange reminder cable to the handle bars (front) and grab bar (back) whenever I leave the bike. When I come back if I see orange, it means take the locks off. It's not perfect but it helps. I've went so far as to start the bike (without paying attention) and realized that there was this strange orange cable attached to my throttle when I was about to take off. Prevented me from doing the same thing you did. If you don't have one, I'd suggest getting one for next time and get in the habit of using it every time.

Techrat

Last edited:
Perfectly valid question: I did have it, but lost it somehow. Never forgotten it in the past. I've got a new one coming and will work diligently to not lose the cable.

A new ABS Bracket looks like around $54 from Cheap Cycle Parts, maybe cheaper at Bike Bandit or other internet parts house......there are plenty. I believe the repair is strictly unbolting the old and re-bolting the new unit in its place. Not even sure if disconnecting the brake line (i.e. and then bleeding) is required. I'm not "up" on ABS stuff.........paging Greg (670cc) to the White Phone, please??

Looks to be a simple bolt on affair. You’d need to transfer the wheel speed sensor over to the new bracket. Being that it involves brakes, observe/measure torque on fasteners. I’ll look at mine later and post if I see anything noteworthy.

PS. When the caliper is pulled away from the disk while the bracket is being replaced, do not squeeze your brake lever, or else then you’ll need to retract the pistons to get the caliper back over the disk.

Last edited:
Ouch!! Sorry to hear that happened, i've often thought of getting one of those for my NC but i know i would do the same thing more then once....yikes! It sure looks like a simple fix though, from the picture. You may get lucky and have to simply replace the bracket and you're off and riding. Obviously check everything else out, and should be good to go! Oh, and welcome to the ride from IDAHO! :{)

A new ABS Bracket looks like around $54 from Cheap Cycle Parts, maybe cheaper at Bike Bandit or other internet parts house......there are plenty. I believe the repair is strictly unbolting the old and re-bolting the new unit in its place. Not even sure if disconnecting the brake line (i.e. and then bleeding) is required. I'm not "up" on ABS stuff.........paging Greg (670cc) to the White Phone, please??
Looks to be a simple bolt on affair. You’d need to transfer the wheel speed sensor over to the new bracket. Being that it involves brakes, observe/measure torque on fasteners. I’ll look at mine later and post if I see anything noteworthy.

PS. When the caliper is pulled away from the disk while the bracket is being replaced, do not squeeze your brake lever, or else then you’ll need to retract the pistons to get the caliper back over the disk.
Thank you! I do plan to use my torque wrench, but do very much appreciate the heads up. I've got the part on order, so I'm in a holding pattern. It looked like a bolt on process, likely IS a bolt on process, but fear of the unknown right? This is not covered in my copy of the shop manual.

Really appreciate the insight so far. I've been a lurker for about a year, learned much by reading, and have been impressed by the knowledge. And comforted by the kind responses to new folks.

Thanks. I'll keep listening. And will post as I complete the job -- likey next weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the same thing with replacing the part as a bolt on. My suggestion would be to examine the other parts for damage that may taken some impact like the pads. Good luck :)

I'm thinking the same thing with replacing the part as a bolt on. My suggestion would be to examine the other parts for damage that may taken some impact like the pads. Good luck :)

Yup, you might spot a crack or a bend that isn’t obvious..

I did the exact same thing with my ST1300 and went down in a motel parking space. I did not break or damage anything on the bike but I hurt my back trying to lift the bike in an adrenaline fueled rush. Like others noted, I then made a tether long enough to slip over the throttle grip which reminds me to remove the lock before starting the engine.

I did the exact same thing with my ST1300 and went down in a motel parking space. I did not break or damage anything on the bike but I hurt my back trying to lift the bike in an adrenaline fueled rush. Like others noted, I then made a tether long enough to slip over the throttle grip which reminds me to remove the lock before starting the engine.
Yep, if I lose the next cord I'll rig up something so I can keep a consistent check list. New lock with cable is also on order...

Yep, if I lose the next cord I'll rig up something so I can keep a consistent check list. New lock with cable is also on order...

I always use only the motorcycle key alone in the main key switch, never on a key ring with other keys. When I’ve locked the disk, I put the motorcycle key on the ring with the disk lock key. If I was to forget about the lock and insert the motorcycle key along with the disk lock key, it would be obvious something is wrong, since the motorcycle key is always to be used alone.

And figure on putting some kind of reminder there for the parking brake as well. I notice you have a DCT. My first (and last) episode of driving off with the brake on was no treat. I noticed the drag as I accelerated away from the curb where I was parked and immediately reached over and released the brake lever while still trying to accelerate.

BIG MISTAKE. The brake came off. The bike took off like a shot. My left hand went up in the air. Both feet left the pegs. And I was hanging on by the throttle looking like a rodeo rider and feeling like an idiot. Still don’t know how I lucked out and didn’t crash.

And of course it all went down right in front of a packed Starbucks. :mad:

NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM AGAIN. Sort of like the lesson with the disc lock.. :p

Last edited:
[...This is not covered in my copy of the shop manual...]

The book that comes with a new bike is called the Owner's Manual and only covers the controls and basic stuff.

The Service Manual shows the bracket in an exploded view drawing with torque specs for the fasterners. And by the way, replacing the caliper bracket is not a normal service operation!

[...This is not covered in my copy of the shop manual...]

The book that comes with a new bike is called the Owner's Manual and only covers the controls and basic stuff.

The Service Manual shows the bracket in an exploded view drawing with torque specs for the fasterners. And by the way, replacing the caliper bracket is not a normal service operation!

Sorry: I've always called the book that the service techs use for repairs "a shop manual." Something my Dad called the books and I guess it just carried forward. Apologies for the confusion. I picked up a paper copy of the service manual when I purchased the bike. Appreciate you clarifying.

Have never considered a disc lock for this very reason. I know I would forget about it. Also, this seems like one of those security measures that makes sure the people who aren't going to steal your bike dont steal your bike. It wouldn't provide me enough peace of mind to offset the very real possibility that I would ride off with it in place. In my mind, bike theft happens one of two ways.
1 - Random opportunity - Owner left the key in the ignition and walked away. Random douche walks by and decides to go for a joy ride.
2 - Professionals - two guys ride around in a small box truck with mattresses in the back. Stop. Open the door. Pick up the bike and toss it in. Close the door. Gone in 30 seconds. Cut the disc lock off in the comfort of their secret lair.

Im sure disc locks provide some measure of comfort to those that use them but, for me, it just seems like a false sense of security that would potentially do more harm than good.

People steal NCs ????

Why? Yes, that is a real question.

What exactly do they do with their new $3,500 or so prize?

Sell it for Bitcoins on the dark web?

"Chop" it and sell the parts on CL or Fleabay?

Drive a couple of states away and try to register it with fake documents?

Toss it in a shipping container with dozens more stolen bikes and ship them to Russia or???

Big Harleys, expensive BMWs and other luxo barges, and exotic sports bikes with expensive plastic I can understand, but it sounds like a lot of trouble to go through for a bike that is worth what? 3, maybe 4 grand tops???

Isn't comprehensive insurance pretty cheap and usually pays more than market value on a claim anyway?

Don't NCs have steering locks?

Just trying to understand the "business model" of stealing NCs and how it might work.

Last edited:
2 - Professionals - two guys ride around in a small box truck with mattresses in the back. Stop. Open the door. Pick up the bike and toss it in. Close the door. Gone in 30 seconds. Cut the disc lock off in the comfort of their secret lair.
In the case of my brother's Harley it was four guys. Police said they use two long metal pipes to slip between the spokes, one pipe in the front, one pipe in the rear. One guy on each corner and on one, two, three! they lift it and put it on a dolly or simply walked it up the ramp into the trailer, police weren't sure. We never saw the bike again :-(

"Kids" who steal bikes for joy rides don't really care what kind of bike it is.........it's more than they own when they steal it.......usually to be trashed in 1-2 days then left abandoned. :(

Back