• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front brake caliper housing meets disc lock

People steal NCs ????

Don't NCs have steering locks?

Before I bought my bike, I did a lot of research on bike thefts. In England, bike theft is very prevalent. Here in the states is not as bad. H-D are the number one bike stolen. Honda Goldwings are a close second. NCs are low on the list.
Steering locks can be broken there are several U-Tube videos showing this. Disc locks prevent a novice thief from taking off with your bike, they won't stop a pro or a group with a van but a pro or group isn't likely to steal an NC, not enough demand to be worth the risk.

Techrat.

Police will tell you that statically a lot of homes are burgled and vehicles stolen simply because doors or windows were left unlocked or keys were left in the ignition. I use a disc lock and a chain and the steering head lock just so it won’t look like an easy, cheap thrill. I’ll never stop a pro or someone determined to get MY bike - but if I can discourage the higher percentage of jackasses that are out there, it’s worth my while.

In the past when traveling with friends, we’d always run a chain or cable through the frames and lock our bikes to one another - these weren’t “cheap” NC’s. Would it really stop the high powered pro, probably not, but as for the average van and mattress guys, they’d probably take one look at that mess and say screw it, let’s go find an easy one.

Same reason I lock my house and don’t leave the keys in the car. Basic stuff.

Last edited:
As a coda:
The part is "45290-MKA-D81 BRACKET SUB-ASSY," and it indeed is simply a matter of removing the 12mm bolts and the 8mm bolts that hold the ABS sensor in place.
The interior brake pad was dislodged but I had to remove the caliper pin anyway so it was easy to re-seat the pads in the caliper.
Visual inspection of the rotor identified no defects or warps.

Application of front brake as I walked the bike, rode at 5, 10, and 15 MPH identified no squeak or rub.

All appears to be well. Happy to get back out there. Thanks for the support and suggestions.

Back