• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel tank capacity?

You can always wish for more ......but.......the true test is range............many manufactures try to attain the magic 200 mile range. The NC can do 200 + miles with no problem........( at least most of us can do 200 miles :p )

You can always wish for more ......but.......the true test is range............many manufactures try to attain the magic 200 mile range. The NC can do 200 + miles with no problem........( at least most of us can do 200 miles :p )

range is too small either for adventure bike. So far the only real world adventure configuration has xt660x tenere with 599 km range.
Besides when I ride harder my nc750x the mpg is no longer that good.

Some examples of range using Motorcycle Consumer News data: avg MPG with .7 gallons left in the tank

2015 Triumph Scrambler. 175 miles
2015 scrambler Ducati. 158 miles
2015 BMW R1200R. 174 miles
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 cc. 218 miles
2015 KTM 1290 Super ADV. 288 miles. $20,499
2015 Kaw Versys 1000. 211 miles
2015 KTM 390 Duke. 118 miles
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. 176 miles
2014 Multistrada. 184 miles
2014 Aprilia 1200. 212 miles
2014 BMW R nine T. 183 miles
2014 Yamaha SR400. 122.5 miles
2015 Yamaha FZ-07. 156 miles
2014 VFR800. 182 miles

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure. 212 miles
2014 BMW R1200 Adventure. 295 miles
2014 Vstrom 1000. 179 miles
2014 Tenere 203 miles. Avg 38.35 MPG usable fuel 5.3 gallons with .7 left Their best was 41.7 worst 35.6 mpg
2015 Suzuki DR650. 140 miles
2015 KLR 650. 232 miles.

2015 Harley XG750. 123 miles
2014 BMW S1000R. 136 miles

Last edited:
I find the bike runs best at 3k, and even lugging it isn't a problem. 4k on the highway is smooth as butter though. Well before redline I have already shifted and have yet to hit the limiter. Going by feel, I seem to shift under 5k without thinking about it.

Its all in riding style. My last bike was a ninja that red lined at 14,000 RPM. I hit the limiter on the NC700x test riding it within 1 minute (no b/s). At low 3k it feels like the bike is pulling. Thanks for the input.

Yes. Correct. I wish my display had a gear indicator as well.

Yeah that stinks. Can they refresh the dash to get this info? That was my understanding because the 2014's did not originally have the gear indicator either was what I was told by dealer anyway. Anyway you should be pretty safe at about 210 miles as I flog mine 95% of the time and still average 60 mpg with 70% city vs. 30% freeway.

Ran out of gas today! I knew it would be close. About a quarter mile push up a hill, and coast down to the gas station another quarter mile. Could have been worse: running out two miles earlier on the interstate.

Only managed to put 3.66 gallons in it, topping off a bit more than usual. Perhaps my technique is at fault. I always place it on an incline up at a pump on the centerstand to try to get the unused capacity at the back of the tank. Maybe I should be going the other way.

One bit of good news, bike started right up after filling. I had a PT Cruiser that really had difficulty if it ran out of gas, sometime requiring a jump because I cranked the battery dead. Also, it might be interesting to others that I ran out of gas 64 miles after the gauge started flashing empty. I use that point as an indicator, but doubt its reliability. Oh for the days when we had bikes with a switchable reserve. On those, it was find a station now!

MY 2016 NC700 has a digital reserve. When it gets low I lose my trip odometer and it starts counting the new miles.
I would never push it more than 20 miles before filling up, to be safe.
I now need to find out how to see the total number of miles on that tank of gas. Not sure how to see both added together.
I use my Trip B odometer to show the miles between chain lubes.

The 2015 starts counting up the amount of fuel used when the fuel gauge starts flashing. I can press the ‘A’ button (the left one) to switch the display back to the trip meter for miles.

JT

Yesterday after I filled up, when the reserve display was on. After filling up I started the bike and the trip odometer was showing what I think was the total miles I'd gone.
Not sure why I didn't see that the last time...

Last edited:
I did a 700 mile trip a few days ago on my 2018 and I filled up shortly after the bar started flashing. Each time, it took between 2.2 and 2.4 gallons to fill it, so it seems I have about 1.5 gallons remaining when the bar starts flashing. The manual says it should be .85 gallons so it seems my calibration is off. At 75 mph it was saying I was getting about 50mpg. I was kinda frustrated as I expected to go about 200 miles between fill-ups but I didn’t want to test my reserve range when I was quite a ways out from the next station. I guess I’ll have to bring a reserve container and try it out sometime but I’m thinking I should be good for another 50 miles at least once the last bar starts flashing.

I did a 700 mile trip a few days ago on my 2018 and I filled up shortly after the bar started flashing. Each time, it took between 2.2 and 2.4 gallons to fill it, so it seems I have about 1.5 gallons remaining when the bar starts flashing. The manual says it should be .85 gallons so it seems my calibration is off. At 75 mph it was saying I was getting about 50mpg. I was kinda frustrated as I expected to go about 200 miles between fill-ups but I didn’t want to test my reserve range when I was quite a ways out from the next station. I guess I’ll have to bring a reserve container and try it out sometime but I’m thinking I should be good for another 50 miles at least once the last bar starts flashing.

I’d guess there are variations from bike to bike as to when the flashing bar starts, but the other variable is how full the owner fills the tank. To maximize range, I fill up the tank until if I were to add any more fuel, it would likely spill over the filler neck. Honda does not necessarily recommend doing that, but I do it all the time on all my Hondas with no problems. Your stating that you add only 2.2-2.4 gallons at fill up makes we wonder how full is full when you fill.

In a hyper-mileage riding style, I have twice managed 300 miles on a tank and added 3.55 gallons, and once did 292 miles with plenty of fuel to spare.

Last edited:
I have no idea how you ride and the terrain but experience is the best indicator of fuel range. The tank is good for at least 3.6 gallons and the NC gets conservatively 60 mpg at highway speeds (Not 75 mph, that's more like 55 mpg). 3 gallons is good for 180 miles at 60 mpg, 195 miles at 65 mpg. Then count on .5 gallons left. If you run about 65 mph that should carry you 32.5 miles on top of the first 3 gallons. I track all my motorcycles on Fuelly for the first 10 to 15,000 miles and know what kind of mpg to expect. 200 per tank is easy staying under 70 mph in flat terrain and moderate temperatures. 70 mph to 200 is iffy though with little reserve, better preplan the gas stops and know where they are. Cold air negatively affects the NC700X a lot, as does headwinds and hills. A steady 80 mph in good conditions returns minimum 50 mpg on my DCT. I know, I've tested for a few thousand miles prior to doing 1000 and 1500 mile rides on fixed gas stop routes.

Not much to be done with the small fuel tank, but there’s a few things to do to get better fuel estimates. You can set the trip to reset when you fill up, and then track the gallons used from the tank (vs giving you mpg). Also once you hit the flashing reserve warning Trip A defaults to measuring distance since reserve started and amount of reserve fuel used.

I checked my records and I usually put in about 2.7 gallons of gas, sometimes just over 3 gallons. The pump will automatically shut off at around 2 gallons, but I always squeeze in more gas until I see the level go all the way up to where it just hits the metal "lip". This is with the bike on the sidestand.
Are you doing this?

Last edited:
I was checked my records and I usually put in about 2.7 gallons of gas, sometimes just over 3 gallons. The pump will automatically shut off at around 2 gallons, but I always squeeze in more gas until I see the level go all the way up to where it just hits the metal "lip". This is with the bike on the centerstand.
Are you doing this?

No, I don't have my centerstand installed yet (soon) and I stop fueling when it shuts off. I have about 1800 miles on the bike now and I think the most I've added is 2.7 gallons at any time. I guess I'll just have to try going for 200 miles and see how much it takes to fill it after that. I know these bikes can do it, it's just a little unnerving when the indication on the dash says you have less than a mile to go and you're about to pass a perfectly good gas station, especially when the next one is 50 miles away. I've just erred on the safe side so far but I definitely want to stretch it out longer. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I have no idea how you ride and the terrain but experience is the best indicator of fuel range. The tank is good for at least 3.6 gallons and the NC gets conservatively 60 mpg at highway speeds (Not 75 mph, that's more like 55 mpg). 3 gallons is good for 180 miles at 60 mpg, 195 miles at 65 mpg. Then count on .5 gallons left. If you run about 65 mph that should carry you 32.5 miles on top of the first 3 gallons. I track all my motorcycles on Fuelly for the first 10 to 15,000 miles and know what kind of mpg to expect. 200 per tank is easy staying under 70 mph in flat terrain and moderate temperatures. 70 mph to 200 is iffy though with little reserve, better preplan the gas stops and know where they are. Cold air negatively affects the NC700X a lot, as does headwinds and hills. A steady 80 mph in good conditions returns minimum 50 mpg on my DCT. I know, I've tested for a few thousand miles prior to doing 1000 and 1500 mile rides on fixed gas stop routes.

This recent trip was a lot of back roads, averaging about 50 mph, up to Lake Tahoe, CA, so definitely hills/inclines and was quite windy. The last leg back was mostly slab at 75 mph or so, also really windy. My mpg was all over the place. The indication on the instrument cluster was right around 50 mpg for most of the slab, between 70 -80. I began using fuelly and so far average over 60 mpg but a lot of that has been goofing around on backroads.

I think what I have to do is just ignore the flashing light, keep on trucking and fuel up around 180 miles and gauge it from there. Thanks for the feedback, as well as all of your other posts. You're definitely very helpful.

I’d guess there are variations from bike to bike as to when the flashing bar starts, but the other variable is how full the owner fills the tank. To maximize range, I fill up the tank until if I were to add any more fuel, it would likely spill over the filler neck. Honda does not necessarily recommend doing that, but I do it all the time on all my Hondas with no problems. Your stating that you add only 2.2-2.4 gallons at fill up makes we wonder how full is full when you fill.

In a hyper-mileage riding style, I have twice managed 300 miles on a tank and added 3.55 gallons, and once did 292 miles with plenty of fuel to spare.

Well, I fill it until it stops. Visually, it's right up near the top but not like what you do. I'll try that and see how much more I can get in there.

I think the issue with my bike is the calibration on the fuel gauge. It shouldn't say I'm on reserve when I have almost 1.5 gallons remaining when the manual says it should be .85. I'll just keep up with the math when I fill up and stretch it out to 180 - 200 miles and see what it take to fill it after that. (unless of course I had to walk the last 20 miles, lol). I know I don't have nerve to stretch it to 300 miles. Man, that's awesome you were able to do that.

Thanks for the feedback, as well as all of your other posts. You are also definitely a big help, especially to newer guys like me. I really appreciate it.

This is how I ran out of gas a month or so ago lol. First time I filled up as soon as gas light began flashing, it held 2.8 gallons, seemingly meaning there was .9 left in there, so i figured I'd be good for 40-50 miles, but I overestimated and ran out about 1-2 miles before the gas station I was going to stop at to refuel. Had 197 miles on that tank. Now I just bank on 175 solid miles per tank and try not to go over that. I probably run mine a bit harder than most so I have been averaging roughly 45-50mpg. Maybe even less at times of really riding hard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back