• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Geocaching and the NC700

I am also a member of Geocaching.com (since 2003, actually.) Gonna have to re-up my subscription (the app makes it worth it). I also use an iPhone app called MotionX GPS to get to the nitty-gritty of location.

One tip, however, on posting photos - try not to post exact locations of the caches, it is like posting the spoiler of a movie.

I am really gonna have to dust off my geocaching account and get started again. If you are on the site, search for me, Deckyon.

I am also a member of Geocaching.com (since 2003, actually.) Gonna have to re-up my subscription (the app makes it worth it). I also use an iPhone app called MotionX GPS to get to the nitty-gritty of location.

One tip, however, on posting photos - try not to post exact locations of the caches, it is like posting the spoiler of a movie.

I am really gonna have to dust off my geocaching account and get started again. If you are on the site, search for me, Deckyon.

Yea, I only posted those photos to give people an idea. There are only four NCX's around Little Rock. When I say around I don't mean Little Rock proper. Oldjeff and I live right near Little Rock. Bamamate lives about 40 minutes away. There is one other member that lives about 45 minutes North.

I have been geocaching since 2005. I have covered around 15 states now. Would love to grab some in Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii. I will eventually. I use only a cell phone and an app called c:geo. I grew up using a handheld GPS and printing out everything but theose days are long gone thank God. Wasted a lot of ink and paper in the beginning.

I prefer puzzle caches and am the owner of 35. I enjoy solving puzzles with ciphers, steganography, or something hidden somewhere in the source code or meta data of an image file.

It is a great way to combine the motorcycle with exploring although I have dropped the bike several times trying to negotiate dirt trails.

Just noticed today my Garmin Nuvi has a "geocoach" option when I select "where to"

Who woulda thought?

You need to check it out. You never know where that geocache will take you. Back in the "good ole days" they were only placed at "points of interest". Cool places and things to see. Like anything else people get competitive and it becomes a numbers game. Who can find the most. I have only found about 6000 over the years. There are people who have found over 100,000. They get placed on every other street corner nowadays. What I do when I enter a new area is get online and do a 30 mile radius search. Then you can sort by what is called a "favorite point". These are the caches that people really really enjoy. If I'm in an unfamiliar area I go after the local caches with the highest favorite points and that keeps you away from the boring finds and takes you to the cool local spots that most would have never seen.

I just found a very cool cache the other day. The coordinates put you smack dab in a narrow grassy patch with nothing there but the grass. WTH? Where could the cache be? Sometimes you have to think three dimensional. I was right next to the River Trail (water on one side) and what looked like some ruins on the other. I ventured over to the ruins and saw what looked like a cave going underground. In reality it was not a cave, it was an old flood water drainage system that had been forgotten and no longer used. Me and a friend (don’t do this type alone) climbed down into the bowels of the earth and entered this area armed with our cell phone flash lights. Some light was visible as the other end of the structure exited about 20’ from the river’s edge. At the midway point this old drainage system split into two compartments. One side was closed off and had filled with rock and dirt. There was a gentle rise to the debris and the cache was hidden amongst the rocks. This was great fun because you felt like you were on an adventure.

So again, you never know where you’ll end up. I can go on with stories like that all day long.

You need to check it out. You never know where that geocache will take you. Back in the "good ole days" they were only placed at "points of interest". Cool places and things to see. Like anything else people get competitive and it becomes a numbers game. Who can find the most. I have only found about 6000 over the years. There are people who have found over 100,000. They get placed on every other street corner nowadays. What I do when I enter a new area is get online and do a 30 mile radius search. Then you can sort by what is called a "favorite point". These are the caches that people really really enjoy. If I'm in an unfamiliar area I go after the local caches with the highest favorite points and that keeps you away from the boring finds and takes you to the cool local spots that most would have never seen.

I just found a very cool cache the other day. The coordinates put you smack dab in a narrow grassy patch with nothing there but the grass. WTH? Where could the cache be? Sometimes you have to think three dimensional. I was right next to the River Trail (water on one side) and what looked like some ruins on the other. I ventured over to the ruins and saw what looked like a cave going underground. In reality it was not a cave, it was an old flood water drainage system that had been forgotten and no longer used. Me and a friend (don’t do this type alone) climbed down into the bowels of the earth and entered this area armed with our cell phone flash lights. Some light was visible as the other end of the structure exited about 20’ from the river’s edge. At the midway point this old drainage system split into two compartments. One side was closed off and had filled with rock and dirt. There was a gentle rise to the debris and the cache was hidden amongst the rocks. This was great fun because you felt like you were on an adventure.

So again, you never know where you’ll end up. I can go on with stories like that all day long.
Indiana Jones may have some competition.

I occasionally write posts about my geocaching excursions while riding my bike. I replaced my rear tire on Saturday so used geocaching as an excuse to break in the tire. The nice thing about living in Arkansas is I have traffic free country roads right out my back door yet I still live near a huge city. I headed out north of a town called Searcy in the direction of Heber Springs and stop for a couple caches along the way. I took a couple pictures while I was out.

Howell Cemetery.jpg

Pangburn AR.jpg

I just logged in to my long abandon account. I see that my daughter and I found 6 geocaches back in the summer of 2008. I'm going to give it another try with my NC as my daughter (now 19) is just not interested in hanging out with me anymore. That's okay, my NC is a little less maintenance and a lot less drama.

Last edited:
I just logged in to my long abandon account. I see that my daughter and I found 6 geocaches back in the summer of 2008. I'm going to give it another try with my NC as my daughter (now 19) is just not interested in hanging out with me anymore. That's okay, my NC is a little less maintenance and a lot less drama.

Geocaching.com has updated their start page since you last cached. There are three specialized searches on the first page and one of them is called "Discover the best geocaches near you". When you click the "search now" link it will take you to a listing (database) of caches based off the number of favorite points the geocache has received. Click the word "Distance" and it will reorder the list from furthest away to closed to your "Home" location. You might think about starting back up that way instead of going after the ever popular street signs and fire hydrant type hides.

I enjoy geocaching on the motorcycle because it allows me to do two things I love at the same time. It is easier to find parking spots too! LOL

Looks like that us a feature only for premium users now. :(

Everything that is really usefull and makes it less of a paperwork nightmare has gone premium - which is why I havent done it in forever. became too much of a hassle to prepare everything first, then go out. then, when you are done, you have to search again and get more listed elsewhere since you cant take it with you in bulk...

Some things may have changed, but they got greedy.

Looks like that us a feature only for premium users now. :(

Dang, it looks like you are right. Jerks. I did not know they had done this. I have hidden 50ish puzzles caches and a few traditional. I do not believe in "premium member" caches. I understand the logic behind them (people that spend time and money on a container) but I still feel everyone should be allowed to find them.

Everything that is really usefull and makes it less of a paperwork nightmare has gone premium - which is why I havent done it in forever. became too much of a hassle to prepare everything first, then go out. then, when you are done, you have to search again and get more listed elsewhere since you cant take it with you in bulk...

Some things may have changed, but they got greedy.

I rarely go to the geocaching.com page. I do paperless caching with my phone. I no longer own a real GPS. My "go to" app is C:Geo. Found here. It is free and if your an Android user it is the best app out there. Unfortunately, they do not have an iOS version. Groundspeak has created a new app that is free. Found here. I've used it a few times. It's pretty good and they made an iOS version.

I've been a premium member since 2005 so I guess I have not paid much attention to the changes they have made reference "free members". It's only $30 a year but I agree with your comment. It seems that many things that start out as "not necessarily for profit" turn into a cash generating machine. There are groups out there making a killing off of geocaching to include Groundspeak.

Last edited:
Back