• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Geting to the front sprocket

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having tried a general search using "front sprocket" "chain cleaning" etc, etc, and getting too many hits to properly search them...... can anyone steer me toward a site or provide some quick info on what needs to be removed to get to the front sprocket for cleaning/maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any info.

3 8mm or 10mm bolts to get the cover off enough to see behind it and do some cleaning. To get it all the way off you have to remove the shifter which is a 10mm? pinch bolt. There are wires running behind/to the side/above it that you need to make sure you don't pinch when reinstalling it. Also mark the shifter and spline so you can line it back up in the same position when reinstalling it.

Yep. That's what it takes. It's actually super quick and simple, though having to remove the shifter can throw you the first time.

Yep. That's what it takes. It's actually super quick and simple, though having to remove the shifter can throw you the first time.

Looking for this aforementioned shifter and not finding it is what will throw him, since he has a DCT.

Remove the lower cowl or at least the left side cowl fastener and pull the left side of the cowl away from the engine. The silver bolts are 8 mm and the lower left fastener is a 5 mm allen head. The lower left one will have been removed to remove the lower cowl.

BTW, it's been a while since I owned a manual transmission NCX but isn't there a dimple reference mark punched into the end of the shifter shaft that lines up with the split in the lever?

BTW, it's been a while since I owned a manual transmission NCX but isn't there a dimple reference mark punched into the end of the shifter shaft that lines up with the split in the lever?

There is a punch mark on the NC shifter shaft.

Thanks to all! That's just the info I was lookin for. I want to do some Spring cleaning on the bike and I also figured it would be good to know in advance how to do it before I need to change the sprocket.

I just cleaned my front Sprocket area after 2,000 miles and it had a bunch of dirt and oil built up in there. I'm going to clean that more frequently now.

take a quick photo of the shifter mount to note where the punch mark rests in relation to the "teeth". That way, you can reproduce the photo when you re-assemble. (good for those who are memory challenged.... like me.)

Back