• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting beat up while on the highway...why?

I've been using the 18.5" light tint VStream for the last couple of days. I commute 50 miles (2-way), peak speeds 80-90 mph on US 101 in California. I have not had an issue yet with buffeting, getting beat up, or anything else. I am 5ft 11". Last few days have been windy, but the bike has been super stable. One thing is that I mounted the windshield with a gap above the headlight, so that there is a vent (similar to what the CalSci shields website says is a good thing to do).

I've been using the 18.5" light tint VStream for the last couple of days. I commute 50 miles (2-way), peak speeds 80-90 mph on US 101 in California. I have not had an issue yet with buffeting, getting beat up, or anything else. I am 5ft 11". Last few days have been windy, but the bike has been super stable. One thing is that I mounted the windshield with a gap above the headlight, so that there is a vent (similar to what the CalSci shields website says is a good thing to do).

what about noise ... mainly hear engine ?

Yes. But I have a noisy helmet (Kali Nira CF full face), and a SENA bluetooth - so with the music or FM. I either hear that, or the engine. I like the shield, it really is better than stock for my commute.

I'm still running the small stock screen, the only time I get that is following trucks/trailers or sometimes a big pickup with the piperacks for construction type trucks. If I get away from them it's back to normal.
This may be interesting to someone other then me. Ref: I'm 6'2" 32" inseam so I sit pretty tall in the saddle. With the stock fly screen I got beat up pretty bad on the interstate so I moved it to the upper setting. It changed things completely. The buffeting stopped but, there is always a but, the wind now hits me about 3" under the chin. Very annoying. I feel like I'm going right off the back of the bike.
Anyway I'm fixing that with a touring windshield.

The trick to the MadStad windshield system, is the Positive air pressure under the shield.

The MadStad shield system uses a alum. plate under the shield to scoop up the air under it, this crates air under the shield that smooths the air Noise out and also reduces buffeting again by smoothing the air out and eliminating pressure pockets behind the shield.

I piece of alum. sheet, mounted to the stock shield mount, then four mounting standoffs that get the top see through shield to a 55 degree shield angle, you would need at least a 1"-2" spacing between the alum. plate and the see through shield, this would provide a much better shield comfort.

I have had several Madstad shield systems on several of my bikes, you could make something that is not adjustable but is at the 55 degree fixed position, that would much more quite, and comfortable with much less buffeting.

I would then ride you bike and feel with your hand how much air is coming up through the fork hole, and see if you are getting a blast up through there.

Try taking the bags off to see if you get the same effect.
Pulled the bags about three weeks ago and been riding since....

Amazing but the buffeting seems to be less intense. I have no idea why and I did give it a full three weeks on the same highway at the same time at the same speeds (my daily commute)...

The bags are (obviously) mounted behind me, yet the slamming from one side to the other that I've been experiencing on my helmet/body is noticeably less than it was a month ago....I'm not really sure what is going on....Anyway, the ride is improved with the bags off. My next experiment will be to put the bags back on and run the same route for a month and see what happens...

Back