• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GoPro (or similar) users...where do you mount your camera

Helmet with clip, front cowling panel with suction cup, windscreen with suction cup, just behind passenger seat with suction cup.

I like on top my helmet because if I can look at it, can get a picture of it. Some folks worry about looking weird with Go Pro on top their helmet, I say "keep it weird", as a lot more fun that way! Everyone will have to ask you want that weird thing is on top your helmet.

I have had 4 versions of the GoPro over the years and the very best location, hands down (IMHO) is the top of the helmet.
I found that because of the wide angle lens, you can easily video scenery more than 90 degrees to the right or left of you by only turning your head about 30 degrees. This lets you record scenery to the sides while still being able to keep your eyes on the road ahead of you.
I found that with a bit of trial and error, it is very easy to also have your entire instrument panel in the bottom of the picture.
So far, I have not been able to find a better anti shock/vibration location than on the TOP of the helmet.
I use a 32gb card and run a thin bike powered cord up to the camera UNDER my jacket, that provides all the needed power to both run AND simultaneously charge the GoPro's battery. That way when you do finally get off the bike, the camera's battery will be fully charged and ready to go on a hike with you.

Last edited:
I have mount on the brake reserve and crash bar. Also done on the upper arm with a Velcro strap. I haven't tried the helmet yet. They all give different aspects.

I have had 4 versions of the GoPro over the years and the very best location, hands down (IMHO) is the top of the helmet.
I found that because of the wide angle lens, you can easily video scenery more than 90 degrees to the right or left of you by only turning your head about 30 degrees. This lets you record scenery to the sides while still being able to keep your eyes on the road ahead of you.
I found that with a bit of trial and error, it is very easy to also have your entire instrument panel in the bottom of the picture.
So far, I have not been able to find a better anti shock/vibration location than on the TOP of the helmet.
I use a 32gb card and run a thin bike powered cord up to the camera UNDER my jacket, that provides all the needed power to both run AND simultaneously charge the GoPro's battery. That way when you do finally get off the bike, the camera's battery will be fully charged and ready to go on a hike with you.
No argument that this is best location but what about those of us who prefer modular / flip up helmets?

I've got 2 mounts for my GoPro. One on the handlebar - about half way up the incline on the left side, and the second on top of my helmet. The handlebar mount is the best for me - it's the steadiest. It seems as though whenever I use the top-of-the-helmet mount, I get a lot of twitchiness as I ride that I haven't been able to get rid of. I haven't been able to figure out yet if it's some kind of buffeting that I can't otherwise feel from my CalSci windshield, or if it's just wobbly old me that's the cause of the twitching camera.

I have the mount on my modular Shoei Neotec helmet, and it's far enough back (barely) that there's no interference with the shield operation.

Garmin Virb GPS camera, support for tubular frames mounted in the GIVI crashbars. Amazing angles you can get.
Have one fix support on top of the frunk but too many noise vibration coming from the rubber damping in the frunk seal.
Will try in the handlebar after reading what people posted here.

Never tried in the helmet because suspect it will be uncomfortable at cruising/high speed and is too flashy here for the cops. Living in Africa, you want to be as low profile as possible.

I'm using Drift Ghost-S and its on the side of the helmet (Shoei Hornet DS)
youtube.com/fltatk if you want to see the footage. I also have Drift mount on the crashbars, maybe raw footage from that will be posted in near future. I'm planning to stick one of the mounts to topbox.

I've got 2 mounts for my GoPro. One on the handlebar - about half way up the incline on the left side, and the second on top of my helmet. The handlebar mount is the best for me - it's the steadiest. It seems as though whenever I use the top-of-the-helmet mount, I get a lot of twitchiness as I ride that I haven't been able to get rid of. I haven't been able to figure out yet if it's some kind of buffeting that I can't otherwise feel from my CalSci windshield, or if it's just wobbly old me that's the cause of the twitching camera.

I have the mount on my modular Shoei Neotec helmet, and it's far enough back (barely) that there's no interference with the shield operation.

How did you do the one on the helmet?

I'm using Drift Ghost-S and its on the side of the helmet (Shoei Hornet DS)
youtube.com/fltatk if you want to see the footage. I also have Drift mount on the crashbars, maybe raw footage from that will be posted in near future. I'm planning to stick one of the mounts to topbox.

Any picture of what the mount looks like ?

I dont recommend mounting camera on the helmet.

Helmet are safety item on our head, any location top or side not only create more wind noise and drag. it COULD also affect the safety. the helmet was design to absorb an impact and distribute the force along the whole helmet shelf, the vibration or force of the impact is to travel through the shelf and exit. a sticky mount might prevent this EVEN distribution.

will you risk your head???? am not. am already at risk riding. better find a way to attach the camera to the cycle, not your head.

none of these camera manufacturer has done any testing

here is a bit of info
Technical FAQ: Are helmet cams safe? - VeloNews.com

On the handle bar, on the left the side with the clutch !
See the photos, seems to work nicely vibration only an issue on rough pavement or unpaved roads, using a RAM mount and RAM Ball go pro attachment, seems to work nicely, used a a couple of times only added it last fall,
Hoping to use it more now that I am back riding. Ski injury from late spring keep me off the bike, got some great video from skiing but no bike in those shots ! Currently using a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition, IMG_0689.jpg

Happy Riding.
And remember no touching the camera keep those hands on the bars ~
brad

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,477
How did you do the one on the helmet?

It's mounted using one of the GoPro's sticky pad slightly curved bases, stuck right on the top middle of the helmet. The curve of the GoPro base pretty well matches the curve of the helmet right there - at least in my case...

It's mounted using one of the GoPro's sticky pad slightly curved bases, stuck right on the top middle of the helmet. The curve of the GoPro base pretty well matches the curve of the helmet right there - at least in my case...

I tried this but the wind resistance started hurting my neck. How have you coped?

I tried this but the wind resistance started hurting my neck. How have you coped?

A couple of years ago, I had to do a fair amount of physical therapy, some of which worked my neck. They helped strengthen my neck past the level it was before the therapy was needed, and the benefits haven't worn off (yet?). But besides that, I normally keep the camera on the handlebar mount - it's WAY steadier than the helmet mount for me.

Back