• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

...GPS device that can actually be used in bright sunlight?

weird harold

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a new GPS receiver. I have tried using my iphone 5s and my 10 year old Nuvi 350 but both go completely blank in the sun both with and without sunglasses. Are the new bike specific Garmin receivers better. Let me hear your thoughts on the best bike navigators. Thanks

Rich

I have been able to use my Garmin 660LM in bright sunlight. It is much better than my TomTom in the sunlight, but still lacks as bright screen viewing as I would like. Usable though.

I've had my Garmin Zumo 600 for a few years now and it's still working great despite lots of rain. The screen works just fine for me in bright sunlight, although that is a rare occurrence here in the Pacific Northwest. ;) The touch screen also works with gloves on. This unit is made for motorcycle use and does that job well.

I found the same thing no matter what GPS I had mounted, so I changed where I mounted it. A little unorthodox but it sure works great and I have never not been able to see my screen since.

Attachments

• DSCF5526.jpg
    DSCF5526.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • DSCF5525.jpg
    DSCF5525.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 683
  • DSCF5527.jpg
    DSCF5527.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 589
I have the same holder as the above pic.but I put mine in the middle of the handle bar.I also have a tinted shield which helps.

Thanks for the info and pictures guys. I'll try some different mounts.

John Boy, How do you like that MadStad windshield? How does that bracket mount to the frunk? Is attached with screws/bolts or is it glued on?

Rich

I love the Madstad, have had a dozen bikes and this is by far the best windshield Ive had. I attached the bracket with Marine grade GOOP. Didn't like the idea of running screws into the Frunk, Marine GOOP does not let go once it has bonded and can be done neatly.

Garmin Zumo 220 is very bright - most of the time I have it turned down to 40% brightness. It's watreproof too
Mike

I am in the market for a new GPS receiver. I have tried using my iphone 5s and my 10 year old Nuvi 350 but both go completely blank in the sun both with and without sunglasses. Are the new bike specific Garmin receivers better. Let me hear your thoughts on the best bike navigators. Thanks
Rich

I have a TomTom, and the only solution I've come up with that worked was to make a shade. I used a piece of thin card board to make a box/tube about 5 inches long that has only three sides. It covers the left, top, and right sides leaving the bottom open so you can still touch the screen. I taped it to the back with blue tape. It's low cost and works fairly well.
The shades I see advertised for it look stupidly inadequate. I wanted something that would put my tomtom at the bottom of a long dark tube.
That works well except when you're riding with the sun aimed right down the tube!
I hope that may help some.

I find it helps to get gps more vertical. I also like gps more in my field of view next to instrument panel. Bought longer ram mount arm and mounted to steering clamp.

IMG_20140412_090753.jpg

IMG_20140412_090821.jpg

Attachments

• photo 2-2.jpg
    photo 2-2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 376
  • photo 1-2.jpg
    photo 1-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Back