• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

guitar players on here??

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just started to learn to play the bass guitar again.
just for fun mind.
I was wondering if the marshal mb15 series which I bought years ago for my bass guitar..
will it sound OK if I try play a acoustic guitar 6 strings?
I've also got a bass guitar with piccolo strings and a tremolo fitted.
this guitar is based on a fender strat I think by acepro
only a cheap guitar I think I paid more for the tremolo and getting it fitted than the guitar cost!

to tell you the truth my fingers are on the stiff side so don't bend or stretch so easily.
I've always fancy in playing a guitar but never got around to till about 3 years ago.
I bought my 1st guitar a yamaha Bass and still have it .
I had tuition's for about 3 months but felt I wasn't getting any where.
nice man but every time I went the 1st half hours he was setting things up on his computer.
notes for me to take home. then the next half hour in between just twanging a way.
this would happened every two weeks.
in the end I gave up try as I might I just get my fingers to go where I wanted them to.
even when I practice for an hour or so before I went to work.
my fingers soon got hard skin of my finger tips to a point where it didn't hurt.
I know its not an easy instrument to play and it take time.
one thing I did notice you can'y buy a music book for bass like you can for a 6 string guitar.
if I wanted to play a particular tune ..no books but if for guitar plenty of books for them.
you them dot books you put your finger here ....
if I could play a decent tune even just one I'd be very happy.

Guitar player here: acoustic and electric (40+ years) and mostly self-taught. The Fender Bassman amp was popular with 6-string guitar players back in the day. Your acoustic, assuming it has a pickup in it, should sound fine through that amp and you can make some tonal adjustments on either the acoustic's pre-amp, the amp itself, or both.

When it comes time to finding music to play, are you aware of guitar/bass tabs which are not sheet music? I think you're calling that a "dot book". For example, A-Z Guitar Tabs - ( 200,000 TAB ARCHIVE )

I've built many stratocasters / telecasters from parts: soldering in the electric components one at a time. I've toured the Gibson factory in Memphis, TN as well as the Fender factory in Corona, California... oh... and the Taylor factory down near San Diego.

I spent about 3 years plus with different guitar teachers, and finally realized that (after all that time, study, and effort), I could play ... nothing.

I decided to change my hobby to... well motorcycles. That, I figured, was something I could actually do.
That is why I am "StratTuner" on this board. I can tune a Strat... I just CAN'T
play one.

Last edited:
I use to play in high school. I was obsessed with AC/DC, so when I had the cash for an electric I bought an Epiphone SG310 and some little washburn amp. Not the Gibson I wanted, but it had the look and the price. I haven't touched it in years. I have been thinking about picking up a copy of rocksmith for my xbox though and giving that a whirl. I was never big on guitar hero or rock band.

I have played in the bands for many years... Had 10 years of schooling in classical piano and some primary training on the guitar, which went pretty fast for me since I knew the music theory and stuff... and was taught by a very good guitar teacher. So, I played keys for a number of years as well as rhythm and lead guitar.

To your question - not sure about the amp, but you should definitely learn how to read Tabs, as mentioned above. There are literally thousands of songs that are tabbed out for bass lines, chords, leads, etc,...
You have to be a bit careful with tabs, because they do NOT depict the rhythmical signatures, so you kind of have to be familiar with the tune you are trying to play.
And don't worry, your fingers will loosen up with practice, you just need to develop the "brain - hands" coordination, like anyone else...

I am not sure how far your learning went as far as music theory and reading the sheet music, so I can't really gage...

I would say at this point in your life - don't bother with sheet music. Do the best you can to know the notes on the guitar neck (don't kill yourself over it though :). At least know which note is on each string when you play it open, and on the 3d, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th fret and you can then easily find the rest).

I hope you were taught the "chromatic scale" and understand that each fret adds 1/2 tone as you go up the neck ("up" actually means towards the pick ups, because the sound is getting higher in pitch).
Look up the C major scale on youtube. Find the one that explains the distance (intervals) between the notes in the C major scale, this will help you find any note on the guitar neck, especially if you memorise the ones I have mentioned above. (I'll try and depict it here):

Here are the "natural" notes in the C major scale: (and any Major scale has the same skeleton as far as the intervals between notes: 1-1-1/2-1-1-1-1/2)

C D E F G A B C
1t 1t 1/2t 1t 1t 1t 1/2t ("1t" means 1 whole tone, and "1/2t" is obviously 1/2 of the whole tone or what's known as a semi-tone)

If you look at the same scale chromatically (chromatic move is 1/2 tone up or down), you will see a more detail break down and notice that you have "in between" notes wherever the distance between adjacent notes is 1 whole tone.

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2

See, since the distance between E-F and B-C is only half a tone - there is no E# or B#. Got it? :) (To be precise, you can sometimes see E# or B# in the sheet music, but there is a specific reason for that, but for now there are none, OK?)

So, in practice for example - if you are on the 3d fret of your E bass string, which represents a "G" note, if you move up 1 fret to the 4th fret (1/2 tone) you get a G# (same as Ab (A flat)). Move up one more time (another 1/2 tone) and
you are on the "A" note. See?
Because G is 1 whole tone away from A. And each subsequent fret is 1/2 tone.
I think I have confused you enough for now :):):)

Let me know if you have any questions on that.

P.S.
I have seen that in Europe the notation may be a bit different than what we use.
Where European "H" = our "B" and European B = our Bb (B flat)

Last edited:
Damn, the Editor squeezed my text..... Is there a trick to make it keep the extra spaces I had entered?

Played guitar all my life but never got great at it in my opinion. But, I picked up an old upright Kay Bass and was able to pick up some great paying gigs for years. Still, not that great but I have fun at it.

I've built many stratocasters / telecasters from parts: soldering in the electric components one at a time. I've toured the Gibson factory in Memphis, TN as well as the Fender factory in Corona, California... oh... and the Taylor factory down near San Diego.

I spent about 3 years plus with different guitar teachers, and finally realized that (after all that time, study, and effort), I could play ... nothing.

I decided to change my hobby to... well motorcycles. That, I figured, was something I could actually do.
That is why I am "StratTuner" on this board. I can tune a Strat... I just play one.
That's funny Strat. But I can relate. My Dad bought me my first electric guitar back when I was about 14 and close to that age he got me a used one year old 1965 Honda S90. I've had a motorcycle in the garage every since and a couple more guitars, currently a Peavey electric and an Alvarez acoustic, but still can't play them.

thanks for the replies.
the problem is that I'm tone deaf,there are certain sounds that I can't hear clearly.
when some body whisper that is it I'm lost ,unless it is clear and and a strong tone I can't hear.
I can hear a teas spoon hitting the floor in another room but if my wife talk I can hear her but don't know what she is saying unless I'm looking at her.
it is the same on TV inc music, I love hearing music but most of the time I can't make out what they are singing.
I look on you tube for lyrics,example for years I thought the beach boys song cotton fields I thought it said space man in one of the lyrics..
so that is how difficult it is for me.
yes the guy was trying to teach me theory which my grey matter couldn't handle.
and I don't really want to go that far.just for fun thats all I wanted.
I would just love to play a musical instrument .even a mouth organ would do nicely but my lips get sore after a while.
when I was younger I could play a couple of easy tunes on a mouth organ.
an old war solder tought me those tunes where I used to work all those years ago.

recently I came across a cigar box guitar on the web ,I also knew that sea sick steve plays one but I thought that was his own being that he was a bum as you call them,here they are known as a tramp.
I didn't know that they existed.
I fancy having a go at one of them to ..3 strings shirely I could get my grey matter and fingers around that?;)
sorry if I seem to be wasting your time in writing etc. john

Been playing guitar for over 40 years and still play every Sunday at church. I love music but don't have much natural talent such as tone recognition and timing, but practice and passion for what you enjoy can take you to where you want to go. If I had to make my living at playing guitar I would probably starve, or least be very thin.

I would recommend you check out YouTube for lessons and for some particular songs you want to learn and play. I have learned a lot over the past few years from watching some good tutorials and song covers on YouTube. Just keep at it and enjoy yourself, don't get discouraged when you seem some 7 year old kid play something flawlessly that you could only play in your dreams. It's not about competition, but finding joy in the music.

Re: any guitar players out there?

I play a little. Well, I strum chords anyway. Took lessons for a little bit - they can be expensive. YouTube can be a good resource. I also recommend threechordguitar.com to learn some basic songs. Ultimate Guitar is good as well. For me, I am content playing along with songs I love or just strumming away at home. Good therapy - like a ride after work.

I recommend the Mel Bay basic guitar chord book. Shows finger position for each chord. Then find a style of music like "country music" that uses few chord changes. Youtube the song you want to learn so you can watch someone else play it and start practicing. Work on finger placement, then chord changes, and finally rhythm. The more you play, and expand your chord knowledge, the better you will get at changing chord position. Eventually, you will progress to more complicated chords, and then it's just practice, practice, practice.

Guitar Chords Book - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

Hope this helps you.

I would also recommend that if you could find a good instructor to help you in person when you get stuck every once in a while. I have been fortunate that I have had access to the guitarist that toured for years with Brooks & Dunn, Garth Brooks, and Reba, all native Oklahoma musicians. It certainly helps to have a pro around when you need one to help through those sticking points that we all eventually come to.

I wouldn't say the discussion is a wast of time, JohnAkay. It's an important subject.
As other's have already mentioned, youtube will help a lot.

About 15 or 20 years ago I got into guitars. It took me about 5 years to learn that I'd never be able to play one. I have absolutely no musical talent. Of course during that time I tried to fool myself into believing it was just the eqiupment, so I kept buying more and better instruments. I still have the collection, but it's been years since I took any of them out of the case. Gonna have to get around to selling them one of these days. Do you know of anyone looking for A Gibson Jimmy Paige Les Paul Or Gospel? I also have a custom shop Stratocaster and a couple telecasters along with a Paul Reed Smith CE22. There are also a couple Takamine acoustic electrics and a built up Mexican strat with active pick-ups and assorted other enhancements.
I really like guitars, just wish I could learn to play one.

Bob

here are my 3 guitars.
DSC02720_zpsf928ae3d.jpg

DSC02721_zpsfd464d53.jpg

the black one I bought that for my son years ago it is a auplause.
he has two other guitars so he gave that back to me.
I don't think I could ever play that one.
my son is self taught and he is good at it.
he tend to play heavy stuff like led zeplin stair way to heaven.
he doesn't play much now since he has bought his home and has a partner.

I quite like this tune..would it be difficult to learn the cigar box guitar with it only having 3 strings??

[video=youtube_share;wN7nVZbZue0]http://youtu.be/wN7nVZbZue0[/video]

I am a guitar player. I play bass, acoustic and electric.
Currently I play gospel songs for my church (eg; Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin songs).
I am basically self-taught but I attended some courses for E-guitar during my younger days.
I cannot read notes but chords are simple.
I learn new songs from the Youtube.

I currently have:
1. Cheap Washburn electric guitar with cheapo Amp / I have the ZOOM G5 as passthrough device board
2. Takamine Acoustic (Sunburst one from Bruce Springsteen signature limited), just bought this year for my birthday (January).
3. Yamaha cheap acoustic >10 years old. Still works great!
4. A loaned bass from a friend (to practise running majors for some songs)

Guitar playing is one of the most admired music skills one can have .....for life.
:D

PS: You need to answer your own question about using the amp for acoustic. Usually the frequency will not match but it may "make do".
Anyway guitar amps (basic models) are quite cheap now. You can also download AmpKit (apps) to simulate amps on the iPad etc.

Last edited:
That cigar box tune is awesome! I couldn't turn it off.:cool:

I've pissed about with guitars for about 25 years now I guess.

Mainly acoustic rhythm stuff, never really progressed very far other than that, but I've always enjoyed what I play.

And that I think is the most important thing, I wouldn't play if I didn't enjoy it.

My Dad played the acoustic too, that's where my inspiration came from, consequently, my 13 year old son also plays guitar.

My son has been playing a few years now, I started him off with a few chords and a few tunes but now he has private lessons at his school, he takes his grade 1 later this year on the electric, his teacher teaches him stuff like Cream, Deep purple, Hendrix and the like, all cool stuff.

We also have a bass guitar, keyboard, harmonica and a drum kit. Oh yeah I almost forgot, my son has grade 2 in violin as well. (I'm so proud of him:eek:)

Anyway, sorry for waffling on.

Here's my advice, learn the tunes you like and then enjoy the tunes that you play.:)

Back