• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

guitar players on here??

Can hold my own at smallish open mic sessions, camp fires. Was NEVER able to make sense of the spots and dots.

I played guitar most of my life also, got fare at it. Got my left hand shattered twice, and so that was the end of my playing. My last guitar was a Martin OM-28V, vary good sounding guitar. cried like a baby when I sold it!!!

I just spent the weekend in Nashville with a couple of motorcycle friends of mine. One night downtown, there was an OLD man playing a homemade guitar made out of a suitcase with a suitcase amp too. He played some incredible blues. I guess it paid off for him. I felt obliged to add to his sack full of cash.

after looking into these 3 stringed cigar box guitars, I've taken a great interest and will buy or make one.
from what I can gather there is no particular tabs or tunes etc.
looking at you tubes it look easy to learn and you can make all your own music.

I've just sold my white bass guitar so money from that will go towards buying bits or complete cb guitar.
looking at converting an old violin into a cb guitar.
I'll let you know how I get on but it will be a little while yet..
got quite a few jobs to get on with inc decorating the main bedroom as well as my work.

[video=youtube_share;wz5wMGovkuQ]http://youtu.be/wz5wMGovkuQ[/video]

this what I find encouraging ..
I have seen many how to play lessons such as "Mel Bay" Resonator Guitar and Blues
videos that were completely false and some were so incorrect that it would be impossible
to get a truly vintage American sound by studying them.
I am going to be "Frank"...
if someone trys explaining Blues music in this way, "it's a G...open E.... or D tuing ....or this
flat and that sharp," you are heading IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.....THAT is NOT Blues
music. If many of the great Bluesmen of last century didn't know a G chord from a Flying
Saucer or space-ship part. Then why on earth do you need to know how to make a
'G chord' on a homemade guitar?....just the simple fact of discussing primitive American
Folk music and then trying to define it in European keys and phrasing and those
boundaries will completely insure you never understand anything. If you are tired of trying
to learn and always frustrated with music theory, Keys, chord arrangements and stuff that
really doesn't have anything to do with Delta Blues, slide guitar and 3 string guitar,

Last edited:
Johnakay, oh man... how do I put it gently....
It does not matter how many strings you have... (plus these box guitar players are using a slide, which is a skill in itself... trust me :))
If one is not musically gifted from birth, to pick up an instrument and make music with it without knowing anything - you, I, and 99.9% of us mortals have to deal with a learning curve....
Unless, you just want someone to show you how to play a particular song, the chords and the beat.... and you will just copy it and practice. If that makes you happy - you just need to find someone to show you, but you will always be handicapped and helpless on your own.
I don't mean to discourage you, really! It is NOT that difficult if properly explained. You would need maybe 5 hours of effective theory training to know what you need to know and be able to hold your own, seriously :)
Good luck whatever you do! :)

One of the best things that helped me advance in my guitar playing and get away from just having someone show me a riff or a song, was to take a year of basic piano and music theory. It was at this point that I began to understand music and how it all fit together. Since I was not very good at playing by ear, understanding the theory behind the music allowed me to learn songs by understanding chord progressions, scales, keys, etc. and how it all comes together to make music.

Playing a musical instrument is something most of us can enjoy for a lifetime if we have the right attitude and approach.

nice tune don't you think.
man of constant sorrow.. enjoy.
[video=youtube_share;WVxflu60qsA]http://youtu.be/WVxflu60qsA[/video]

Back