• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Handguard attachment help - specific off brand

Ricochet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm throwing this out there cause I am pretty sure that I have seen somewhere on here, although I can't find it now, that someone has bought and installed this particular no brand handguard...
7/8" 22mm Hand Brush Guard Handguard For Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki
s-l500.jpg

My question is...how exactly did you go about mounting them? I'm not super stoked about having to remove the bar weights, especially since it seems to be quite the pain on NC for some reason, to make it fit on the throttle side. I may have to though in order to get the end of the guard to reach the bar tube.
Any suggestions and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Ricochet

I'm throwing this out there cause I am pretty sure that I have seen somewhere on here, although I can't find it now, that someone has bought and installed this particular no brand handguard...
7/8" 22mm Hand Brush Guard Handguard For Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki
View attachment 29414

My question is...how exactly did you go about mounting them? I'm not super stoked about having to remove the bar weights, especially since it seems to be quite the pain on NC for some reason, to make it fit on the throttle side. I may have to though in order to get the end of the guard to reach the bar tube.
Any suggestions and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Ricochet

When I put mine on, I used a heat gun (if you don't have one, you can usually get them dirt cheap for like under $20.00 most everywhere) and made a small cone out of tin foil, wrapped around the end of the heat gun nozzle.

The cone is to make sure the heat is directed in a tiny pin point spot just on the screw head itself, of the OEM outer bar end weight. They are held in with a thread locking compound and require a bit of heat to free them up before they easily unscrew. Some are installed with lots of compound, others not very much, so DO NOT OVER HEAT! A few quick seconds at a time, and then try to unscrew the phillips head. They will unscrew dead easy once warm enough. Don't melt anything!!! lol

I installed my Cycle Gear handguards and still used the OEM bar weights. Not knowing the dimensions of these guards you have, I don't know if they would work that way, but I would not automatically assume the weights need to go.

I installed my Cycle Gear handguards and still used the OEM bar weights. Not knowing the dimensions of these guards you have, I don't know if they would work that way, but I would not automatically assume the weights need to go.

Quite so! I kept mine, with a wee bit of simple modding. I really didn't want to give them up.

Same here. I used the OEM bar weights to install a set of Cycra guards on the 2012 and a set of Barkbusters on the 2015. One or the other use a spacer between the end of the grip and the frame of the guard and required longer screws than stock but easily obtained at Ace Hardware.

When I put mine on, I used a heat gun (if you don't have one, you can usually get them dirt cheap for like under $20.00 most everywhere) and made a small cone out of tin foil, wrapped around the end of the heat gun nozzle.
Don't melt anything!!! lol

Got the external weight off (just brute force so nothing melted :)), stopped at that point and didn't take the internal out just to eyeball the fit to see if they needed to go. Once I get back home I'll post a pic but to me it looked like the hg wasn't long enough to attach to the bar without interfering with the brake lines/mc.

Quite so! I kept mine, with a wee bit of simple modding. I really didn't want to give them up.

I don't really want them to go either so am hoping that someone who already had done any mod'ing has a good work around for me or a better solution than I could come up with.

Got the external weight off (just brute force so nothing melted :)), stopped at that point and didn't take the internal out just to eyeball the fit to see if they needed to go. Once I get back home I'll post a pic but to me it looked like the hg wasn't long enough to attach to the bar without interfering with the brake lines/mc.

I don't really want them to go either so am hoping that someone who already had done any mod'ing has a good work around for me or a better solution than I could come up with.

Can't speak for how others did it, but this is what I did:

When you remove the stock exterior weight, you will see it has a D shape protrusion which mates with a D shape on the inside part of the inner weight. My hand guards came with some expanding aluminum cylinder plugs to install inside the handlebars, after removing the OEM inner weighted rods.

I chose to keep my inner weights as well as the exteriors, so I hacksawed off the ends of the supplied aluminum expansion plug pieces, and hand filed a matching D on the inner side, as if it was the outer OEM weight going back on. The only reason to do this, was to space out the hand guard from the end of the bar grip, to be completely sure the throttle barrel wouldn't be interfered with from rotating. (I did both clutch and throttle sides for spacing symmetry.)

Then installed the hand guard, with the stock outer weights on the outside of the guards, instead of the inside.

I should have found longer bar end screws, but am lazy, so instead of buying new screws, I just took the hacksaw and cut off the D flange on the OEM outer weights, so I could reuse the existing screws.

Last edited:
Then installed the hand guard, with the stock outer weights on the outside of the guards, instead of the inside.
That's a brilliant idea! Never crossed my mind. I was thinking weights had to go or hg on the outside of the weights. That is truly otb thinking.
Added benefit of probably NOT screwing up hg as much if bike lays over on the trail.

That's a brilliant idea! Never crossed my mind. I was thinking weights had to go or hg on the outside of the weights. That is truly otb thinking.
Added benefit of probably NOT screwing up hg as much if bike lays over on the trail.

A potential flaw with that method is it's easier to catch on things instead of skim across them though, if you follow.

I figured I'd most likely be flopping over instead of careening off something (lol) so my harebrained scheme was that it would be easier/cheaper to replace a mangled bar end weight in that scenario, than an ebay handguard purchase that only sold in pairs, and took forever to ship, etc. (well, up here to canuckland, the shipping time and costs are something sucky to consider, unfortunately...)

A potential flaw with that method is it's easier to catch on things instead of skim across them though, if you follow.

I figured I'd most likely be flopping over instead of careening off something (lol) so my harebrained scheme was that it would be easier/cheaper to replace a mangled bar end weight in that scenario

I get ya, eh. (sorry couldn't resist). My thought was the same. Not going through a lot of brush so hg mostly for wind deflection and some protection in the event of an "unintended dismount".

Back