• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hands Keep Falling Asleep/Tingling

VTHokieAg

Reaction score
Visit site
The NC is my first bike and I currently have 1,200 trouble-free miles on it. The only problem I have is my hands (mainly throttle hand) keeps falling asleep/gets a tingling sensation. I've tried gripping barely hard enough to keep the throttle turned, I've tried gripping with my last 2 fingers and straightening out my others, etc. The ergonomics feel fine such as length away from bars, etc. I was wondering if there were any products you recommend or something else I should try.

Thanks

Look up "Grip Puppies" - foam covers over the existing grips. You may also need risers. Many here use "Rox" 2" risers with great results.
Your riding position maybe placing too much weight on your wrists, therefore the risers.
Do a search here and you'll find quite a bit of info on both :)

Last edited:
I have noticed the same thing on my last couple of rides. I think it has to do with my thinner summer gloves, so the grip puppies may be just the thing. Or maybe just a new pair of summer gloves with better padding on the palms. I don't think the risers would help other than just maybe moving the pressure point on the throttle hand. I sit more upright on the NC than on my Seca II. I definitely have more weight/pressure on my hands on that bike but never had this problem. I really like the riding position on the NC so I would rather not mess with that too much.

Is it falling asleep due to vibrations on the bar or something else?

If it's vibrations on the bar, I would be surprised because there is barely if no vibrations on the bar. However if you really want to minimize vibrations you can use a product carlled Bar Snake and put the snake (or liquid) in the handlebars. I heard you can also use shotgun pellets too.

Are you sure you're not gripping on the bars too tight?

You can also get cruise control throttle locks

I have a cheap $11 throttlemeister that slips over the throttle tube and that kind of helps for me.

I hate to bring it up, but maybe get checked out for possible carpel tunnel?

I have had the same problems for years. The solution is not a simple one as several things are involved. I tried everything with respect to the grips, risers, heavier bar end weights, even ROX anti vibration risers. Some things helped, but you need to attack the core problem as well. It appears to have something to do with the nerve that runs from the neck down the shoulder to the wrist to the carpal tunnel. I have come to a watchful peace with my symptoms by doing several things.

1) Look online and find exercises that address carpal tunnel syndrome. These exercises apparently are designed to lengthen or otherwise relieve the nerve that causes the numbness in the thumb and first two fingers. This will address the core of the problem. I have been doing this for the past few months, not necessarily religiously, but at least pretty regularly. There has definitely been an improvement.

2) Increase the diameter of your grip. Grip Puppies are great for this.

3) Be aware of your jacket and note any constrictions around the arm, particularly at the joints - elbow and shoulder. This constriction can also cause numbness.

4) Add a throttle lock or cruise control. This will give you a chance to relax your grip. I had a cramp buster on my Moto Guzzi, but I am not a big fan. I just added the Koako speed control to my NC700 and it is a much improved (and more expensive - $124) solution.

I hope something in the forgoing will be of help to you.

Great suggestions GT! I think I may try doing some exercises. I had carpal tunnel surgery years ago (nature of my job) and it helped, but very hard for me to get strength back after the surgery. Could not ride for about 2 months after the surgery. The exercise might be the ticket for my other hand that seems to be having a problem too.

When I started riding again after a ten year break I had similar sensations. I got a rubber squeeze ball and everyday did three or four sets of 25 to 30 repetitions squeezing the ball alternating hands. I worked out like this for maybe a couple of months. I work out of a car all day so I just left the ball in the car. Either this conditioning helped me or just logging enough seat time did it but tingling or going to sleep went away.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll start with the easier things and work my way up until I find a solution.

I think I am definitely going to put on grip puppies. What size fits the NC if you remember?

I saw Bemerphile post about the angle you have your hands on the bars once having an impact on your hands falling asleep. I don't know where that post is now though.

I know if your hands are angled wrong they can cause this to happen... I just remember how they are supposed to be angled. I would assume straight on with no bend (right to left) but I am not sure. Maybe someone will chime in on this who knows.

smileyconfused.jpg

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll start with the easier things and work my way up until I find a solution.

I think I am definitely going to put on grip puppies. What size fits the NC if you remember?

I think they come in universal size. You'll need to cut them length wise a bit, especially on the throttle side. Otherwise the throttle will not be snapping back as it should when released

Beemer mentioned the positioning of the hands, wrist and arms. Specifically targeting the Unlar nerve. Here is an informational link. Ulnar nerve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've had the same problem, tried grip puppies, but they created a new problem, so I've removed them. Adjusting the bars helped some. It's going to be a combo of things.

Good luck in your search, try the cheap/free options first.

VTH. I’m a retired chiropractor who saw dozens of carpal tunnel syndrome during my time in practice. At 26 yoa you’re kind of young to be having these symptoms solely from riding your bike. I’d see a doctor for an exam. You might be having some other stuff going on. Have you ever had a severe whiplash or other neck injury? Is there history of arthritis or diabetes n your family? Get it checked out to be safe.

I'm thinking along the lines of NJ_Dan. I changed to lighter summer gloves recently and while I'm not getting tingling, my hands do get fatigued rather quickly. Will look for a better quality summer gloves (my current ones are Wal-Mart cheapies I got to take the motorcycle class last summer), and will also look for grip puppies.

I saw Bemerphile post about the angle you have your hands on the bars once having an impact on your hands falling asleep. I don't know where that post is now though.

I know if your hands are angled wrong they can cause this to happen... I just remember how they are supposed to be angled. I would assume straight on with no bend (right to left) but I am not sure. Maybe someone will chime in on this who knows.

View attachment 6500

This was the previous thread on the subject.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/985-what-s-your-opinion-3.html

I'd suspect riding position resulting in stress on the wrists as the most likely culprit - the handlebar vibrations are very minor.

This was the previous thread on the subject.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/985-what-s-your-opinion-3.html

I'd suspect riding position resulting in stress on the wrists as the most likely culprit - the handlebar vibrations are very minor.

Yes! this is the exact thread I was referring to. Thanks for finding this Chris smileythumbsup.jpg

Posts 18 and 21 are the ones you need to read to understand what Bemerphile was saying.

I had been trying to remember what he said myself recently when my hands fell asleep on a ride so I am glad to see this.

smileyshades.jpg

When I started riding again after a ten year break I had similar sensations. I got a rubber squeeze ball and everyday did three or four sets of 25 to 30 repetitions squeezing the ball alternating hands. I worked out like this for maybe a couple of months. I work out of a car all day so I just left the ball in the car. Either this conditioning helped me or just logging enough seat time did it but tingling or going to sleep went away.

I have heard that is a good exercise. I will try that. If nothing else, maybe it will be a stress relief when I'm not on the bike.

Another thing....this is so silly many of you will laugh but when I started riding again is that when I was entering or riding challenging (for me) conditions I would involuntarily tense up and tightly grip the bars and gas tank. This causes all sorts of problems ranging from learning finer control of the motorcycle to physical issues of pain or numbness. To relax I flap my arms like the funky chicken and laugh internally at myself while repeating in my mind "relax and feel the front wheel" as in relaxing so I can receive feedback from the contact patch down there under the front tire. To flap my arms I would not let go of the bars this action is just moving my elbows up and down a few times but it always relaxes me mentally and relaxes tensed muscles. This always works and I still do it today when my sphincter starts pinching some seat covering.

The OP mentioned this is his first bike and I can remember how much mental and physical energy it took to just ride the bike and at the same time sort out traffic, braking, cornering challenges. Eventually most of the mental and physical action programs we use to do these things are automated and stored in the lower subconscious of our brain so this energy use can be focused on other upper brain activities but until we are really and truly at ease riding we can involuntarily tense up. I am fond of saying that hand grips should be termed hand rests because no good comes from tightly gripping the bars. So if you riding behind me and see the funky chicken going on you know what I am doing.

Back