• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Harley Davidson Lowside Motorcycle Crash

That's going to cost a few bucks to fix. Shame, too, it was a nice Harley.

That corner is notorious for crashing bikes and cars. There are a couple theories on why so many people go down.

1) poor road design - some had mentioned that it's a slight double apex corner. Plus the 2nd apex corner has less camber. People accelerate too early and either run out of room or run out of clearance
2) hamming it up for the camera - the last tight corner of the whole drive. People want to make the last one count and ham it up for the camera. As the result, people ride/drive beyond their ability.

Car Crashes into Parked Motorcycles on Mulholland - YouTube

Not to mention that the Harley most likely had a lowering kit on it to look COOL! :cool:

Looking at the video over and over it looks like he put his left foot down too hard at one point and it threw him and the bike off balance. Going into that turn so fast did't help him much either.

Last edited:
Yep, he wanted Togo over the railing. Had his eyes on it the whole time. Over reacted, over controlled, and locked the rear. Was not going to fast for the bike. The bike could have made the corner with proper technic.

Yep, he wanted Togo over the railing. Had his eyes on it the whole time. Over reacted, over controlled, and locked the rear. Was not going to fast for the bike. The bike could have made the corner with proper technic.

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

I never tried one of those bikes before but I noticed no real leaning. He
looked straight as a board and leaned himself and the bike instead.
Maybe it's too big and wide to lean much.

I know proper lean makes a huge difference. I've tried it both ways.

i never tried one of those bikes before but i noticed no real leaning. He
looked straight as a board and leaned himself and the bike instead.
Maybe it's too big and wide to lean much.

I know proper lean makes a huge difference. I've tried it both ways.

How can you lean a bike or a body anymore then what he was? Did you not see the sparks flying? Show me and tell me where there is anymore room for leaning!

Last edited:
The only reason why he went down was because of his own stupidity. He came into the turn too quick and he put his foot on the ground too hard causing him to loose control of the bike. Lesson learned? Slow down for the tight turns and keep your feet on the pegs or boards.

he panicked and slam his back brake to hard.
going in to fast and not concentrating on the road but the barrier.

Yup. Took the wrong line and went in way too hot; body position wasn't setup to turn; Target fixed on the barrier and basically went right for it.

The Harley guy's body is all crossed up. If he would have lean his body into the turn, he wouldn't have to lean the bike that much over and run out of clearance. Also, he accelerated out too early and ran right thru the 2nd apex. leaning the bike too far over and lost traction on the rear wheel. Even if he didn't put the foot down, he was doing to low side it anyway.

How can you lean a bike or a body anymore then what he was? Did you not see the sparks flying? Show me and tell me where there is anymore room for leaning!

His body position was horrible. His inside elbow was locked straight. His body was leaning to the outside. He was fighting the bike and pushing it into the road. Maybe "trying" to drag a peg for the cameras, but bit off a little more than he could chew. Had he leaned his body to the inside of the curve (hung off the low side of the bike) , he could have certainly increased ground clearance and possibly made the curve. Classic example of riding way over his abilities. You would be amazed at how much a difference body positioning will make, even on a big heavy bike. In the MSF ARC they call it COB (chin over bar). If you are really pushing things (this is not recommended in the ARC and will draw popo attention), move your inside butt cheek off the saddle and lean toward the street. It will certainly help increase speed through corners without decreasing ground clearance. Watch the super bike races. They are not doing it for looks. It really does help. When ever learning new techniques, always make small adjustments until you get comfortable with the new technique and advance from there.

WGW

Not to critisize anyone (been down myself a few times due to stupidity...), but
I'd say that he did pretty much everything wrong:
1. Lane positioning - he was on the inside of a turn, where as he should have been on the outside (in this case the barrier side)
2. Body positioning
3. Head and eyes positioning
4. Lack of counter steering
5. Fixation
6. Locking the rear wheel

If you pause right at the 0:01 - you'll see that he was doomed... I bet you, he never learned to ride properly.

the reason he low sided was because the rear tire lost traction.

the floorboards on those baggers tilt a little, but are basically solid mounted... once you run out of the inch or two of "peg travel" the bike "teeters" on the solid mounts under the floorboards and lifts the rear wheel off the pavement.....

look at 0:35 when the rear wheel starts to lift and the front wheel turns to the left

it was over as soon as the sparkfest started

What a shame. Trying to be a sport bike on a dressed out Harley is going to cost his a wad.

Back