• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anyone seen this ADV Rider thread on potential NC700x mods?

LM15

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I came across this thread on the ADV Rider forum concerning an English firm, Rally-Raid, that has taken the Honda CB500X and is/will be producing items that will turn it into a more adventure bike, which they designate the CB-X 500 Adventure. The US debut will be at the Overland Expo in May.

On page 36 of the thread post 531 there is a detailed account of a planned cross USA ride this spring, a small portion is below:

"But suffice to say, I'll be starting on the west coast in San Francisco, and heading down through Death Valley to the Overland Expo in Arizona 15-17th May. From there I'll be going to Moab for a few days, before heading east through the Colorado Rockies, and attempting a 1000 mile Iron-Butt Challenge on my way to the east coast... I'll then turn round and head back via some classic highways - the Blue Ride Parkway and Deals Gap/Cherohala Skyway, before picking up the TAT (Trans-Am Trail) in it's entirety all the way back to Oregon!"

Also in the thread it is mentioned that the NC700/750 will be in their future plans for an Adventure Kit.

The cross USA trip would be a good way to meet this fellow and see first hand his produce.

I've messaged with them. No firm commitment on taking on the NC yet but we’ve had several NC owners ask on the thread about them taking on the NC which I think has them thinking about it. I think the bikes share the same rims so the spoke wheels will probably work with no modification to them. I also think the forks are the same so the forks mods will probably transfer with no issues. They had to make a new top triple tree that is lower by an inch to gain clearance for the 19” wheel. Wouldn’t surprise me if it crossed over with no modification. They had to make new dog bones on the rear to clear the longer travel shock. Figure those would need modifying to fit the NC. I’m hoping to catch them on the TAT when they come through Arkansas.

Link: Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - ADVrider

Thanks for the link. The 500 is already a nice little bike and I must admit its lightness appeals to me. However the NC stays, and I am currently considering replacement of the shock, especially after the very positive affects of doing so on another of my bikes.

I set on the 500 for the first time at the Honda tent at the Daytona 200. I was impressed. Fits us short folks a lot better.

Yeah +1 on how the bike fits me as well. Upon seating myself the first thing I noticed was the comfortable seat. My second reaction was WTF,(What-The-Frunk!), gas tank is in that place. Have been thinking of a 2nd bike and this might be the one. One could go the miles on a tank of gas.

I've messaged with them. No firm commitment on taking on the NC yet but we’ve had several NC owners ask on the thread about them taking on the NC which I think has them thinking about it. I think the bikes share the same rims so the spoke wheels will probably work with no modification to them. I also think the forks are the same so the forks mods will probably transfer with no issues. They had to make a new top triple tree that is lower by an inch to gain clearance for the 19” wheel. Wouldn’t surprise me if it crossed over with no modification. They had to make new dog bones on the rear to clear the longer travel shock. Figure those would need modifying to fit the NC. I’m hoping to catch them on the TAT when they come through Arkansas.

Link: Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - ADVrider

Can't wait to see further info on this ...my NC700x is half way there with being set-up for "gravel travel" !!! Hope its reasonable priced as I will need new tires by seasons end (fall) and would love to afford this !!!

Bad news:

Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - Page 48 - ADVrider

Post# 712 lays out the reasons they won't be offering the same kind of modification package for the NC700X as the one for the CB500X. Ah well, one less thing to be jonesing for.

Prices copied from post# 699:

The LEVEL 3 kit is what we consider the ‘full’ Adventure conversion to the CB500X - that is a fully integrated package of long-travel and uprated/adjustable suspension, together with a replacement heavy-duty spoked wheel-set offering a 17” rear and 19” diameter front wheel - improving suspension performance, increasing ground clearance and allowing a wider range of dual-sport and all-terrain tyres to be fitted. The SRP of the full Adventure kit is £1999.00 GBP / $2499.00 USD

The LEVEL 2 kit is essentially the long-travel suspension kit, that incorporates exactly the same components as the full Adventure kit, less the spoked wheels and dedicated 19” front fender. Retaining the OEM cast aluminium wheels means this option is primarily for those riders who spend the majority of their time on-road, but would appreciate more ground clearance afforded by the longer travel and better quality suspension. It is also an option for those with budget constraints, as the Adventure spoked wheel-set and 19”*front fender can always be purchased separately once the long-travel suspension has been fitted. The SRP of the LEVEL 2 long-travel suspension kit is £1450.00 GBP / $1799.00 USD

The LEVEL 1 kit upgrades the standard travel suspension with higher quality and adjustable components front and rear. This is the ideal option for those who do not wish to raise the seat height at all. These components are also suitable upgrades for the CB500F and CBR500R models. The LEVEL 1 upgraded standard suspension package is £795.00 GBP / $995.00 USD.*

In addition there is the option to upgrade the LEVEL 1 rear shock to a fully adjustable unit with remote reservoir and high/low speed damping (the same technical specification as our long-travel Adventure shock, just in standard ride-height) the complete LEVEL 1b package is then £995.00 GBP / $1250.00 USD.

I have both bikes sitting in my garage. I like both and if the rally kit was what would make your riding experience better. You would not be giving up much. The 500 is very close in horse power and is forty pounds lighter. I prefer the 700 but I wouldn't have a bad day on the 500.

Looks like there's still a glimmer of hope on Rally Raid creating a similar kit for the NC750X:

Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - Page 74 - ADVrider

Post #1100

4th of July, and the British are back...............with 4 Level 3 Adventure Kits arrived at Giant Loop HQ for the first 4 Honda CB500X owners who put their deposits down at the start of Jenny's TAT trip.
The next 7 kits are being built for delivery 3/4 weeks, and thereafter we hope to get things really moving.
After Jenny's trouble-free first outing to prove our design & development we are now full-on into ramping up production.
I will be flying out to Australia in 10 days to do a 4,500km Hay River Crossing in the NT to push our testing, then once I return we hope to get a new NC750X to try our kit on........watch this space :)

This thread Rally Raid Products CB500X. It is only 75 pages.:D

Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - Page 75 - ADVrider

The CB500 and NC700/750 are similar in a lot of ways so we are hoping they can adopt some of their suspensions upgrades to work on the NC. Specifically the 19" front wheel. Originally they said no because the CB and NC wheels are different but now they have come back said they will be getting a NC soon to look at the possibilities.

I spoke to Jenny from Rally Raid at Overland Expo this year extensively about this and showed her my bikes explaining my setup and its limitations. She informed me that the best they were expecting was to get a 750 and see what parts could fit. A full setup like done for the CB500x was not in the picture, no 19inch wheel, it just required too much engineering and too much $$$. The forks are actually different between the bikes (though they don't look it). However they will test fit and sell any parts that fit on the 750x, time frame unknown, but we could see shocks and springs etc..

Back