• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hasta La Vista!

BttrThnWrk

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd been waiting patiently for EBR to announce their AX model last year, but instead they put off the announcement for this year, and maybe next, too. Sigh.

I'd been looking at the Tiger 800's off and on for several years (even before I got the NC700), but kept putting it off. Finally, I decided maybe I'd go for one of the new 2015's.

Then Yamaha announced the FJ-09 triple sport touring bike for this year. Just got home after trading my NC700 for one. The dealership wouldn't take my Suzuki M50 (2006 model) in trade, too - too many problems with it (besides the fact that they couldn't start it).

Anyway, here's the new Yamaha FJ-09 850cc triple. It's now got all of 2.5 miles on it (the dealership isn't very far away).

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice congrats! Definitely would be what I'd be buying if I didn't want to keep my NC. Yamaha is on a tear. My only criticism is I don't understand why they didn't go ahead and add cruise control to the FJ-09. I understand they are building them for a price point (and you are getting a lot of bike for the asking price). But, it's ride by wire and how hard would it have been to borrow the system used by the Super Ten/FJR 1300? At least offer it as an option if you're going to market the bike as a sport TOURING, ADV styled bike. That said that is the only nit I can find to pick. It's an amazing bike from everything I've read. Congrats again!

I got to drive the FZ-09 at Daytona last year. The bike really is powerful. I do like this year's FJ-09 a lot more with the front windshield. Great looking bike!

Congrats on the new ride.

The dealer that I bought my Nc700 from has called me three times in the past couple of weeks begging me to come down and take a look at the FJ-09. They say I will really like it over the NC. They are also promising a good deal for trade in on my NC.

I might go down and check it out but they will really have to really sell me the bike because I am extremely happy with my NC

Then Yamaha announced the FJ-09 triple sport touring bike for this year. Just got home after trading my NC700 for one.]

I am curious why you decided to leave the "NC700X"? There has been a lot of this going around lately.

I've had my 04' Honda ST1300 for nearly 8 years now. I still love this bike. NaNCy is my second love... :eek:

Congratulations on the new bike. The FJ-09 seems to deliver an awful lot of bike for the money if they fixed the suspension and fueling niggles of the FZ and first ride reviews suggest they have. It's really curious to me why Yamaha is comparing it to the big 1200-1400 class sport tourers when it looks to be the class leader out of the box in the middleweight tall-rounder class but I guess their marketing people have their reasons.

When I was debating buying the Tiger some months ago the idea that I should wait and see if Yamaha might be bringing out an ADV style or fully faired sport tourer version of the FZ triple was one thing I was weighing as well as waiting to see if the noise about Triumph updating the Tiger 800 was true. In the end I did not want to wait and see if one or all of the three came to pass (or not) and the dealer was offering me a good deal on a 2014 Tiger on trade for my NC. I kind of wished that I had waited on Yamaha. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Have fun and give us an insightful owners review when you can.

I am curious why you decided to leave the "NC700X"? There has been a lot of this going around lately.
It's just about that time. Many bikers change bikes regularly. Otherwise you would not see the long list bikes many have had.
I like it. It means there will be more good priced NC's around!

It's just about that time. Many bikers change bikes regularly. Otherwise you would not see the long list bikes many have had.
I like it. It means there will be more good priced NC's around!

It usually takes about 2 to 3 years, but you are right about the syndrome. Sure helps to keep auto and motorcycle dealers in business. Some folks have the same syndrome with the wife, but I seem to have the "if you like it, just keep it" syndrome.

The new FJ looks like my old FZ6 to some extent. Would seriously consider getting one if I hadn't purchased the X less than two years ago. Don't think the mpg is close which is another reason I won't be trading.

Don't think the mpg is close which is another reason I won't be trading.

I've gotten a little spoiled with the NC, and the MPG reports on the triple are that it's pretty darn thirsty for the displacement. Report back after you've run a few tanks through BttrThnWrk. Yamaha has caught the attention of a lot of folks with the FZ bikes and this new FJ, myself included.

trey

The new FJ looks like my old FZ6 to some extent. Would seriously consider getting one if I hadn't purchased the X less than two years ago. Don't think the mpg is close which is another reason I won't be trading.

I've gotten a little spoiled with the NC, and the MPG reports on the triple are that it's pretty darn thirsty for the displacement. Report back after you've run a few tanks through BttrThnWrk. Yamaha has caught the attention of a lot of folks with the FZ bikes and this new FJ, myself included.

trey

The FJ remains to be seen, but Fuelly average for 23 FZ-09s is mid 40s (US MPG), compared to mid 60s for the NC700.

It usually takes about 2 to 3 years, but you are right about the syndrome. Sure helps to keep auto and motorcycle dealers in business. Some folks have the same syndrome with the wife, but I seem to have the "if you like it, just keep it" syndrome.

I have had my Honda truck for 10 years and 315,000 miles and still going strong. Expect to continue similar attitude with my Honda NC700. For me to trade it will have to be worn out and or unreliable. There will always appear to be greener grass across the fence.

I can't say that I miss the mpg of the 700X for its own sake but part of the fun of the X was those rides where I really concentrated for economy and tried to break my own record. I took the Tiger on my mpg loop and rode it exactly like the day I broke 94 mpg on the 700. The Tiger's been averaging 46+ and I was sure I'd get 60's maybe 70 but it only got 53. I was bummed, these triples are thirsty motors even at 50 mph. The ST1300 does better than the Tiger when ridden like that.

On the other hand the Triumph 799cc triples are wonderfully torquey & flexible, smooth as glass, don't mind trundling along at 2500 rpm in 6th yet invite being revved to 10,000 rpm. The exhaust note is symphonic even with the stock pipe. I imagine the FJ-09 is the much the same except it has 20 more hp. I'm thinking it won't get the mileage the Tiger does but one doesn't get one of these bikes with an eye toward setting mpg records. Horses for courses. If only it had a frunk. I miss my frunk!

Back