• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heated gloves or Handguards

ShipofFools

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that we're seeing an actual chill here in Texas, I would like to ride but feel my fingers when I reach my destination. I have a pair of Gerbings heated gloves but they're kind of a pain to use. I don't have the jacket(my core has no problem staying warm) so the cord comes out of the frunk and hangs out all over. I was thinking of switching to Hand guards but wasn't sure how well they worked.

Anyone have experience with the two and which works better?

Opinion opinions.

If your looking only to use the hard guards to break the wind you could buy a set of the cheap Trackside guards. They are only $19 (most of the time) and they do help. They reduce the amount of wind that make contact with the gloves and it does help. If you want hand guards that will actually provide protection in case of a fall you'd want to buy the more expensive version that hook to the bar ends.

I have heated gloves, grips and hand guards so I would use both the gloves and guards since your asking.

I do both, so I am also in the both front. When it is 25 degrees out and you have 50 miles to go, saving that 100 dollars (or whatever it may be) will not be worth it. Not to mention that cold hands are dangerous.

A water proof heated jacket liner keeps you comfortable no matter what the weather. Goes under the jacket, is waterproof, and those warm gloves just plug in. I never even disconnect my gloves from the jacket. They just keep hanging off the jacket, even when I take the jacket off, that way I never have to hook them up again.

I have always had difficulty keeping my hands warm. I've had electric gloves, heated grips, and hand guards in an attempt to keep my fingertips from becoming numb after extended riding in cold weather. Finally got past the appearance of the Hippo Hands and installed some this past week. Went for a ride yesterday, temperature in the 20's and found my hands stayed warmer than they ever had in past situations.

My current set up is Hippo Hands, hand guards, and a good pair of winter gloves. The Hippo Hands do not take long to put on and take off, and I don't have to worry about any electric connections or failures that I have experienced in the past. Just my experience and opinion; works for me.

Whoa... Are those hard wired Gerbings or batteries? I was just about to buy some battery versions.

They are the wired kind.

The reason I never got a heated jacket (besides price) is that I dress in layers when it's cold so my core never gets cold. When I get off my bike, it's usually my hands are numb but I'm not shivering.

I've done silk liners and rubber gloves under my gloves but they don't work too well and impair dexterity. I looked at Barkbusters but 150 dollars is outrageous. Hopefully it won't get too cold this winter but I would like to get a few more riding days in.

Cold arthritic joints are the worst! I have used my hands to make most of my living, consequently, along with bad genes, they are beat up and swollen at the joints.

I am going to look into those Hippo Hands.

One of the advantages of heated gear is we can wear lighter weight gear that still allows dexterity and range of motion in very cold conditions. Layers and thick gloves work but the Michelin Man look isn't safe if we can't turn our heads to check our 6 or hypothermia saps energy and attention. Hand guards will help but heated gloves are much more effective for me.

If it's one or the other, I'll take heated gloves. I didn't have the $ for both when I purchased so I got the Gerbing T5's. No problem switching from the bike to my ATV when I have to plow the snow off my driveway. I may add heated grips one day, but I'm glad I got the gloves first. YMMV..

Back