• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heck yeah I got the 22,000 mile coolant leak!!

mtbmike

Reaction score
Visit site
Well guys it seems right around the 20,000 mile mark on these bikes the water pump goes kaput its pukeing. Dam never had a water pump fail on any motorcycle that I have owned seems this could be the only week spot of the bike.

I've got 36k miles on my NC700X no leaks, I think water pump is one of the weakest points on the bike but only getting 22k is pretty bad. Hopefully it's just the gasket

Most likely at 22k original coolant ??........but.......

First question.........was the coolant changed ? Maybe at the valve check ? If yes.......was the proper coolant used ?

Wrong coolant will trash the water pump seal..............

Last edited:
I've not heard that this is a weak item on the NC700X but what do I know?
It's the only mechanical part I've heard multiple people (multiple being 3 or 4) say was leaking with fairly low miles. It is worth noting no one has had a actual water pump failure that caused any over heating problems just leaking, and at least two fixed it by just changing the gasket on one of the ones I was reading about, the bearing actually was starting to fail and was leaking through the weep hole

Like the timing chain tensioner problem but even more rare. sucks when it's yours but very uncommon

The BIG question is, what type of coolant was used? Was it Honda branded coolant, other brand silicate free coolant, or other brand coolant containing silicates?

Honda coolant always I will keep a eye out on it the level looks ok might have jumped the gun I adjusted the valves about a week ago and might have got sloppy and spilt some coolant over there when I removed the radiator and didn't notice it. Funny thing is like I said that was a week ago and it was a little wet like a fresh leak but like I said level is fine and after I cleaned it up went for a 20 mile ride no leaks I ordered seals just in case so I have them on hand I should hit close to 30,000 miles this year on my NC.

Funny you mention the tensioner I had a funny noise coming from the right side of the engine I suspected it was coming from the tensioner that's why I check the valves right valves were a little on the wide gap side so I snugged them up a bit and noise is gone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Take a deep breath............its not contagious.

And 3 or 4 does not make an epidemic..........

Last edited:
Yep your right it was never intended to sound like I was loosing breath or sleep over it it's 10 dollars in seals no Biggy bike is great and I intend to take it to 100,000 miles. I still don't know how coolant got there oh well. Some of these things are real though and it's good to react like the tensioner problem I have been burned on this once before with my 98 superhawk the tensioner gave up the ghost and I lost the valves it jumped time because the tensioner became weak I ignored the subtle warning signs v twin with micro carbon fiber parts and it was hard to hear anything with that engine I coughed it up to engine character. Well I had to rebuild the motor because of it. I too said that won't happen to me and it did. Maybe my breathe should have been a little shorter in that case. It only cost me about 300 bucks because I did it all my self but that could have been over 1000 dollars worth of damage paying someone easily. That was a rare problem with the superhawks ans certainly not the norm as well but it didn't matter in my case it happened to me so whether it was 3 or 4 documented cases does matter and my eyes are opened and you have my attention.

Last edited:
Well after a long ride smelled coolant saw the water pump is leaking and is junk coolant leaking out of the weep hole 172.00 bucks nice!!

I'm at 30k and no waterpump leak yet, but I do anticipate it will happen shortly.

Most people are aware, but for those who aren't: Remember, don't merely replace the "gasket" when the waterpump starts to weep. It's designed to weep when it starts to FAIL to let you know to replace it, not to replace the gasket.

I'm at 30k and no waterpump leak yet, but I do anticipate it will happen shortly.

Most people are aware, but for those who aren't: Remember, don't merely replace the "gasket" when the waterpump starts to weep. It's designed to weep when it starts to FAIL to let you know to replace it, not to replace the gasket.
why do you anticipate it will happen spell shortly?

why do you anticipate it will happen spell shortly?

I seem to go through them around this time on most bikes I've owned. I'm mostly tongue-in-cheek when I say I'm expecting it to come along, but I wouldn't be shocked and honestly, at 30k miles, I wouldn't be too upset with it either.

My KTM has a replacement interval of 10k miles, and you have to remove the clutch to get to the waterpump shaft seal. LOL.

Some KTMs are made in India not Japanese quality and construction by any means, others are made in Europe, a better proposition. The water pump issue is not an across the board complaint otherwise Honda would do something about it.

I seem to go through them around this time on most bikes I've owned. I'm mostly tongue-in-cheek when I say I'm expecting it to come along, but I wouldn't be shocked and honestly, at 30k miles, I wouldn't be too upset with it either.

My KTM has a replacement interval of 10k miles, and you have to remove the clutch to get to the waterpump shaft seal. LOL.
I agree if I got 30k I could live with that but I'm at 37 with no problems and there are people with 60 plus that haven't had anything but fluid and filter changes

I agree if I got 30k I could live with that but I'm at 37 with no problems and there are people with 60 plus that haven't had anything but fluid and filter changes

Well let's hope that runs true for me :)

.... and to the above, my KTM was made in Austria.

coolant leaking

My bike has 22000 miles no leak yet...be sure to use motorcycle specific coolant when you change it .....auto coolant contains " silica " for scrubbing system clean...which causes premature wear on coolant pump ceramic seals ...I learned from a old Goldwing experience...used regular automotive coolant...had to replace leaky coolant pump shortly thereafter.

Back