• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from a rider shivering in the polar vortex

elizilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, my name is Katherine and I am shivering here in SE Michigan, USA. I just ordered a new NC700X DCT. I don't have it yet; the dealer has to get it from a warehouse and with all this snow I don't know when I can pick it up anyway. It will be a red 2013 model.

Currently my other bikes are a Yamaha Super Ténéré and a Ural Tourist. Past bikes include a BMW K75 sidecar outfit, Honda NT700V, Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Honda VFR750, Yamaha TDM850. I've motorcycle toured through most of North America and some of Europe and I hope to continue doing this. I don't want to get too deep into this here, but I am having some health issues and the biggest issue is shifting; my left foot is troublesome. And while my balance is fine, heavy bikes are more struggle than they used to be. After putting 15K on the Super10 in 2012, I put only a couple hundred miles on it in 2013. Instead I installed a tank shifter on the Ural and rode that around locally. I didn't go anywhere interesting.

Sidecars are great fun, but I want to get back on two wheels. So I have ordered this more manageable Honda with the dual clutch.

I do all my own work on the bikes and I adore farkling up a new bike, so if I can figure out how to get the new Honda home to my garage, I will start installing some accessories while I wait for the winter to end. First on my list is a chain oiler. I have one that worked great on the VFR, and I'll clean it up and put it on the new Honda. Heated grips, comm system, and the stock headlight looks like the typical terrible Honda headlight design, so maybe some LED driving lights. Hyperlites LED aux brake lights. Usually I put a Givi rack on every bike, and use the cases I already have, but I think I'll wait and see how I do with just the fake tank storage, before I add the high-up weight of three Givis.

I look forward to reading of everyone's experiences with these bikes!

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Katherine and I am shivering here in SE Michigan, USA. I just ordered a new NC700X DCT. I don't have it yet; the dealer has to get it from a warehouse and with all this snow I don't know when I can pick it up anyway. It will be a red 2013 model.

Currently my other bikes are a Yamaha Super Ténéré and a Ural Tourist. Past bikes include a BMW K75 sidecar outfit, Honda NT700V, Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Honda VFR750, Yamaha TDM850. I've motorcycle toured through most of North America and some of Europe and I hope to continue doing this. I don't want to get too deep into this here, but I am having some health issues and the biggest issue is shifting; my left foot is troublesome. And while my balance is fine, heavy bikes are more struggle than they used to be. After putting 15K on the Super10 in 2012, I put only a couple hundred miles on it in 2013. Instead I installed a tank shifter on the Ural and rode that around locally. I didn't go anywhere interesting.

Sidecars are great fun, but I want to get back on two wheels. So I have ordered this more manageable Honda with the dual clutch.

I do all my own work on the bikes and I adore farkling up a new bike, so if I can figure out how to get the new Honda home to my garage, I will start installing some accessories while I wait for the winter to end. First on my list is a chain oiler. I have one that worked great on the VFR, and I'll clean it up and put it on the new Honda. Heated grips, comm system, and the stock headlight looks like the typical terrible Honda headlight design, so maybe some LED driving lights. Hyperlites LED aux brake lights. Usually I put a Givi rack on every bike, and use the cases I already have, but I think I'll wait and see how I do with just the fake tank storage, before I add the high-up weight of three Givis.

I look forward to reading of everyone's experiences with these bikes!

9.jpgWelcome from Texas. Like you I also can not stop touring, and I have this need for something different on every trip. If I can be of any help, send me a private message and I will do my best to help. The automatic transmission should solve the shifting problem.

smileygoldtooth.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Arkansas. Nice list of bikes. For the most part I've never road anyting that did not start with CBR and I sometimes wish I had not limited my exposure like that. I read your list of proposed farkles and one thing stood out to me. We have a lot of conversation that repeat themselves. Heated grips, comm systems, and panniers are talked about a lot. One thing that does not get brought up often is the headlight. At least not in my 10 months of being on this forum. There have been discussion though. I pulled a few for you in case you'd like to read them.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/4295-nc-headlights.html

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1842-nc700x-hid-bi-xenon-headlight-conversion.html

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/584-extreme-farkling-headlight-edition.html

Welcome to the forum and almost NC700 ownership!

I ride a FJR1300 primarily, but also have a beautiful red 2013 NC700X DCT sitting in the garage that's my wife's primary bike. Like you, she got it due to pain in her left ankle. She's actually laid up right now for about 6 weeks after having surgery on her ankle, but she's anxious to get back on the bike. In the mean time I'm putting some miles on it so it doesn't feel neglected. ;) Although I miss the "rip your arms off" acceleration of my FJR, the NC is a hoot to ride otherwise.

Hey Katherine, welcome to the forum. Katherine is my oldest daughter's name as well. That's an impressive list of bikes. I, like Harald also ride an FJR and bought the NC700X DCT for my wife. She doesn't have any physical issues with her left ankle, she just couldn't get the whole clutch and shifting thing down. Ironically though after getting the NCX in the fall she dropped it on herself and broke her right ankle which laid her up for six weeks as the end of the riding season here came into full swing. So we too are anxious to get out and about on the bikes once again. I also think the NCX is fun to ride and have been very impressed with it so far. I am the chief farkler here but have been teaching my wife the ropes and will be showing her how to change the oil and filters as soon as it's ready for the first service. Have already installed quite a few goodies on it. Good luck with the new bike and I hope you can get it soon.

Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome. I can see this forum has lots of info; it will take a while to digest!

Welcome from Oregon. As someone relatively new to riding I don't have the technical knowledge many others on this Forum have. All I can say is I enjoy riding my NC.

Welcome from SW Missouri. It looks like you know what your wanting. I like my Advmonster M-60 LEDs, They light up the road very well and they are inexpensive.
Model 60 LED off road flood light - ADVmonster
I have a controller than I can dim them down to nothing but just use them with the high beams so I don't blind oncoming traffic.
I had full intentions of getting a HID projector, but have learned a LED head light lamp may be for sale in the near future. (After rider testing)
This is the place to look for the LED head light. I learned of this on the ADVrider site.
Helmet Lights & Handlebar Mounts for Night Riding Accessories - motorcross, motorbikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, quads, ATV, mountain bikes & bicycles - Cyclops Adventure Sports - Lighting Your Adventure - Lighting for Sport
This is the LED headlight and information http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23351513#post23351513
DSC_1862.jpg

Hope you enjoy our site!

Last edited:
We had the Ural out on New Years Day in near white-out conditions. First ride of the year! My boyfriend and I and one of the neighbors all piled in/on, went out to the truck stop for breakfast, and then we went fishtailing around the unplowed backstreets of the town, whooping and hollering. It was a lot of fun!

Back