• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

help cannot open seat to gas bike at station now

newride

Reaction score
Visit site
Long story short, had to break front fake tank key for storage area to get my keys. Now near empty and since lock is screwed up cannot insert key to flip back seat up to gas up. Do ii call a flat bed?

If you take the side ducts off and the remove the fasteners for the center cover you can lift one or the other side of the center cover and access the cable that snakes around the side of the frunk and goes to the seat latch. The side ducts are body color plastic on either side of the handlebars and the center cover has the frunk/seat latch lock in the center of it.

And the story continues...
Lessons learned thus far in reverse order
- have your password app on all phone devices
- know your new extra phone's android cell number, it is a pain to know what menu options to find it
- bring apple 5 charger, don't use small screen cell phones for help issues...if iPhone 5. It is too smart yet fun at the same time. Course this from one that locked his keys so take that comment for what it is worth
- nexus 4 better size screen, iPad mini better yet...at home with charger cord...of course
- Honda is stupid, aprilla smart. Maybe I typed that right. On mana gt 850 u have to put key in ignition Then turn to power then press button to pop trunk. Plus you put key in lock behind sit to pop rear seat to access gas cap.
- hum, maybe nexus 5 screen will be better yet lol
- auto save your password for this site, pain to reset it
- Honda for...never mind said that already
- dealer in ga dumber for not logging key code. U all know your key code and keep it in your wallet right?
- Honda mother ship of no help, per dealer. If dealer did not log key code mother ship can do nothing to help customer
- always have tow service, can u say join ama. Luckily I did and more so for taking the tow service number and code with me
- if u did what I did and locked keys in trunk then took screw driver to said key hole to force open trunk don't think your home free cause several hours later that ever smaller dim light in your head will go off at the gas station saying your screwed
- riding slow on Honda will take u far. When i called and they said free tow for 36 miles that deem light realized...hell I need to ride this thing to empty to get closer to beverly hills fl. Had left Daytona Beach
- mileage was 178 on trip meter when low fuel flash went off.
- one can ride 50 more miles...well I could. Ride about 45mph at 3,100 rmp. It is of course fuzzys fault for me thinking if it was the automatic model it would be picking the best gear itself. It was not so that my dimmly lite light head had to give it a try
- got spare key....in trunk? Bad idea.
- got wallet? Get spare flat key made and put it in it
- Honda was cheap when they designed trunk and gas cap access design. Wait, did I just type cheap as in not customer focused... Why yes I did and yes Honda motorcycle was. Great bike otherwise
- new Indian was a nice demo ride, lost gloves there....one if those days it seems
- need to get out and ride more often now that the heater setting in Florida will lessen. Though was a good 85 yesterday.
- bars too wide for my liking on the base Indian. Engine strong, finish in blue color sweet. Red less so in my eyes. Don't know about their design plans going forward, as if. Starting by being true to the old engine layout was great marketing and though probably wrong on my part but do that many people from the forties remember that engine layout and more to my point are they the ones Indian is hoping will buy the new bike? Guess I just wonder if they are now to be locked into that new engine design set. Harley did the vrod and never moved it over to their regular bikes so it lives as their own subset of bike offerings. Can Indian elect to make other models with
engine layouts that would be different from the new Indian bike engine?
Can, should they, make a water cooled engine. With bigger engines I cannot help but feel water cooling is a required design element...read it is hot in Florida a lot of the year and other places. Indian was warm behind left air cover and right side rear jug and I was wearing older BMW riding Pants.
- can Indian now be allowed to make a water cooled v twin engine from the new one they just came out with...was that considered in the design layout for future use..time will tell
- rock solid at low speed...5 mph and held line even in u turn
- $70 cost to do your own oil change. Guessing Harley chargers a bit more with oils in different places
- figure likewise as hot though want to ride the new water cooled harely limited
- waiting for a water cooled base BMW twin though that new one coming out, retro model looks very tempting

OK, that is all I got. A bit off topic there about Indian. Will need to Check out nexus 5 when released and give this one to great niece for Christmas.
Ride safe all, got a nice set of BMW boots at BMW bike shop
- need to check out that app for posting to this site.
- will start to take off what I can to get to tank cable...wish me luck
- my thanks to everyone for the assist on my post
- yes, I did make it to beverly hills with 224 or so trip miles for that fill up
- two 16oz icehouse and pizza later and all was good with a story to tell then bed
- will have tow service take bike to dealer if I cannot get to cable today.
- will ask dealer in tocca to offer free replacement lock since they did not record key code. I will have to pay to get it installed else they to do it myself

Last edited:
I keep my honda key on one of these when the key is NOT in the ignition, and around my belt loop.

385864963_463.jpg

That way I don't lock it in the frunk, and know right where it is.

And 70 dollars to do your own oil change? What the heck are you putting on it / in it to get to 70 bucks?

Last edited:
Long story short, had to break front fake tank key for storage area to get my keys. Now near empty and since lock is screwed up cannot insert key to flip back seat up to gas up. Do ii call a flat bed?

this was a very good post, though I'm sorry it caused you so much trouble!
I've put the code key in my wallet, and I'm thinking of keeping a spare just in case.

The root cause of the problem is the bike's key. It could ignite a chain reaction to other problems. :)

i do the same thing as neoreloaded does: hook it on belt's loop.

Next thing, i need to have a flat spare key in my wallet.

I fail to find this post trustworthy. When I open the trunk or back seat the
key sits in the lock. No need to remove it. I have even accidentally left it in
the lock while parked.

When the key does come out it goes directly into my pocket. How one would
lock the keys inside the trunk is beyond me.

If your referring to the frunk, it is easy. I have done it too. Have you ever accidentally thrown your car keys in the trash? Maybe not but I can think of a couple times in my life where I had picked up some trash and had my keys in that same hand. When I went to toss the stuff I picked up, I instantly realized the keys just went with it. I did the same thing with my bike keys. I opened the frunk and the began to put stuff in the frunk. While laying that stuff down I dropped the bike keys too. Then I shut the frunk only to realize seconds later my key was in there.

. . . When I open the trunk or back seat the
key sits in the lock. No need to remove it. I have even accidentally left it in
the lock while parked.

Agree with Blackrider

Key in pocket.
Key goes in frunk lock.
Frunk opened; items removed from and/or inserted in frunk.
Frunk closed.
Key removed from frunk lock and either goes back to pocket or directly to ignition switch.

Rule: Key is never removed from frunk lock while frunk is open.

Greg

Last edited:
I can see any easy way to accidentally lock your key in the trunk.
Riding with a jacket on, open frunk to get something out, put the key in the jacket pocket.... you start putting something in the rear cases or taking something out of them while leaving your Frunk open or mess with your phone, taking a call. Then you decide it's too warm for a jacket, toss it in the frunk (still standing open) and close it... oops!
If you don't immediately close the trunk after taking the key out, it's a risk.. the longer it stays open the bigger the risk you might toss your jacket in there that you have your keys in.

People who are careless with their keys might do well to attach to them a decorative key fob.....so large it won't fit in the frunk.

I can see any easy way to accidentally lock your key in the trunk.
Riding with a jacket on, open frunk to get something out, put the key in the jacket pocket.... you start putting something in the rear cases or taking something out of them while leaving your Frunk open or mess with your phone, taking a call. Then you decide it's too warm for a jacket, toss it in the frunk (still standing open) and close it... oops!
If you don't immediately close the trunk after taking the key out, it's a risk.. the longer it stays open the bigger the risk you might toss your jacket in there that you have your keys in.

This is what I am guilty of everyday. When I leave from work I get out to the bike and immediately open the frunk then I take the key out and open my trunk. I have several things do put in both areas. If memory serves me, the key is stuck in the truck lock while it is I the unlock position so I'm safe while the trunk is open and I leave the key there. I throw my safety glass and corporate cell in the frunk and grab my helmet and jacket out of the trunk. Once I have everything out of the trunk I close and lock it. The key goes straight to the ignition but the frunk is still open because I need to hook my cell phone charger into the 12V outlet and plug in my phone. Once I do that I close the frunk. This is how I do things every single day. I guess I am putting myself at risk by having both open at the same time but I do it to streamline all my actions. I like to get everything open at once and get all my business down quickly so I can get on the road home.

I fail to find this post trustworthy.

I would not call the OP this.

People who are careless

I would agree with this. I was careless on one occasion and locked my key in the frunk. It won't happen again in my case but accidents happen. I feel bad for the OP because his mistake caused him to have to damage his bike intentionally.

20130712_171910-M.jpg

Nuff said...

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus a belt and suspenders approach a hidden full function key hidden on the bike someplace...............or like others said wallet or inside jacket pocket sorta works too

Just wanted to add that this seems like a failure on Honda's part. I know I put the spare Frunk opener up as a fix, but truth is that Honda should have done something like Givi where you can't lock the trunk without having the key in the slot (or in the ignition to push a button as mentioned above). Sorry you had this issue...

Back