• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help with LED light wiring

skeedaddle

Reaction score
Visit site
Installing some LED lights on my crash bars. I have the Skene LQ-175 controller, so no need for a relay. Just need switched power and the high beam circuit. I know there are probably numerous threads on this, but can anyone post up some links? At work...so computer time is short. I need to know where to pick up these two wires? If the Honda accessory wiring harness is the way to go please advise, but I would rather just install a fuse from the battery for 12v power and tap the switched power and high beam for the Skene controller. Thanks

You pretty much answered it. Honda accessory harness is the neat, clean way to go. If not, tap off the battery with a fused line, and tap off the high beam wire for the signal.

You pretty much answered it. Honda accessory harness is the neat, clean way to go. If not, tap off the battery with a fused line, and tap off the high beam wire for the signal.

Thanks...I just hate to give my lousy Honda dealer any more money for the wiring harness. Would you just tap the high beam wire behind the headlight?

Installing some LED lights on my crash bars. I have the Skene LQ-175 controller, so no need for a relay. Just need switched power and the high beam circuit. I know there are probably numerous threads on this, but can anyone post up some links? At work...so computer time is short. I need to know where to pick up these two wires? If the Honda accessory wiring harness is the way to go please advise, but I would rather just install a fuse from the battery for 12v power and tap the switched power and high beam for the Skene controller. Thanks

You should be able to find what you need in this Tread, http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage...ry-wiring-power-aux-led-lights-do-i-need.html

Thanks...I just hate to give my lousy Honda dealer any more money for the wiring harness. Would you just tap the high beam wire behind the headlight?

Sure, you can use a Posi-Tap on the high beam wire right behind the headlight connector. That's what I used on my wife's NCX but I tapped into the low beam wire to energize the relay I installed. Posi-Taps are a super easy way to tap into a wire and make a very minimal penetration. I would not suggest using a scotch-lok or "vampire" tap as they can cause wire damage.

Soooo... what's the advantage of using a sub-harness, etc ....VS.......just running power from the battery and having a on/off switch ??

I was just going to do the latter !!??:confused:

Soooo... what's the advantage of using a sub-harness, etc ....VS.......just running power from the battery and having a on/off switch ??

I think the biggest advantage is having a switched power source so you don't inadvertently leave the aux lights on and drain your battery. Your way will work of course. Don't forget to install an in-line fuse.

Using a sub-harness or directly wiring the LEDs directly to the battery with a simply toggle switch.

Well, the advantages are as followed:

• Has it's own dedicated circuit with circuit protection, such as a fuse.
• Use of a relay controlled by the ignition switch.
• Will not drain the battery when the ignition is turned "OFF".

Using the Honda sub-harness (08A71-MGS-D30) and the relay installation kit (08A70-MGS-D30) would be your best bet. As everything that you will need to connect to the bike's wiring harness will be easily accessible. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 287
I simply tapped the low beam headlight. 2 LEDs each has 18W( 6*3W LEDs) power consumption with inline fuse.
The light circuit has an 15A fuse, which is equal to 180W.
Low beam is 55W, rear pos light is 5W, HI+LO is 105W and add-on 2*18 is not more than 150.
So I never use the flash, that results 55+5+2*18=96W,that is 8A.

But correct me, If I'm wrong !!
This was my idea, installed it yesterday and it works.
One of the previous LED's damaged and had to be replaced. Those were only 2*10W.
Will take photos in a few days

Holy cow !!!!! What an event today !!! Trying to find switches, etc so I mount up my lights !!! Went to a few automotive supply stores/bike shops/Princesses Auto for mounts and other odds and ends !!!

My best advice is buy the Honda relay and harness it is clean and works well, only one other point to be made, if you are going to take off all the plastics add all the accessories, now borrow or mortgage your home but do it once I have the Honda grips and led fog lights which were a load of work, I am now in the process of adding the 12v socket and well I am not looking forward to removing covers yet again.

Back