• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Here I am.

Challenged

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there everyone. I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing a new motorcycle and I'm leaning heavily towards the NC700X. My main use will be for commuting 60 miles round-trip to and from work. I currently own a CBR250R that I like, but I've done everything imaginable to make it more comfortable and I just don't think it's going to get any better at this point. My main needs in a motorcycle are as follows:

• At least 60 MPG
  • Comfortable at 70 MPH
  • Not take up a massive amount of garage space
  • Smooth engine, very minimal vibration (I'm getting older and just want to be comfortable)

I hoping that the NC700 will fit my requirements, and from what I've read so far, I think it will. This will be my sixth motorcycle in about 12 years, so I'm not a new rider but I really just want this as a commuter so I'm not all that concerned with being able to do 0-60 in 4 seconds or anything of that nature.

I've read the rumors about a NC750 for 2014. Do you guys see any reason to wait a bit before I decide to purchase? Either to get a 750 or to get a better deal on a 700? Along those same lines, I should probably look through the archives and see what you guys have paid for your 700s, I'd obviously like to get as good a deal as I can on one from a dealer.

I find it does all you want . I can cruise at 75 all day or putter around the back roads. The mileage is great and maintenance low. You will want a larger windshield and a few other things. It does have some vibration at higher speeds but not bad.

Hello there everyone. I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing a new motorcycle and I'm leaning heavily towards the NC700X. My main use will be for commuting 60 miles round-trip to and from work. I currently own a CBR250R that I like, but I've done everything imaginable to make it more comfortable and I just don't think it's going to get any better at this point. My main needs in a motorcycle are as follows:

• At least 60 MPG
  • Comfortable at 70 MPH
  • Not take up a massive amount of garage space
  • Smooth engine, very minimal vibration (I'm getting older and just want to be comfortable)

I hoping that the NC700 will fit my requirements, and from what I've read so far, I think it will. This will be my sixth motorcycle in about 12 years, so I'm not a new rider but I really just want this as a commuter so I'm not all that concerned with being able to do 0-60 in 4 seconds or anything of that nature.

I've read the rumors about a NC750 for 2014. Do you guys see any reason to wait a bit before I decide to purchase? Either to get a 750 or to get a better deal on a 700? Along those same lines, I should probably look through the archives and see what you guys have paid for your 700s, I'd obviously like to get as good a deal as I can on one from a dealer.

I bought the NCX for the exact reason your looking at it. I had a CBR100RR. I went to the dealer looking to trade it for something more commuter friendly and better fuel economy. He introduced me to the NCX. He warned me right away that I would see a significant power loss but I would see a huge MPG improvement. I was getting 35 - 39MPG on the CBR. I have only tracked 17 fuel tanks and average 70.4 on the NCX. Just about double the fuel mileage. I drive a combination of back roads and interstate to work. Usually between 55 - 75 MPG for entire trip. Only a couple stops in the route.

Concerning comfort. I have only riden one motorcycle where I was not leaning forward. That is when I was 16. I'm 48 now. I have riden nothing but sport bikes since then. I felt uncomfortable at first but after a couple weeks I prefer the upright postion much more than laying down. A lot less weight and pressureo nthe arms. I have not made any modifications to the seat but many have. It is stiff. I must have enough padding to deal with it. I also commute 60 miles a day round-trip. I have not felt the need to repalce the seat as of yet. I did however buy a larger windscreen as was mentioned above. This has improved the wind turbulents between myself and the screen.

As far as your list goes.

1) I average 70.4
2) I am very comfortable and have only changed the items listed above
3) Its a normal sized bike. Should take much more space than your CBR250
4) I don't notice much vibration. At least no different than anything else I have rode. Very good handling bike.

Your comment about the NC750. I can't really comment on that. I'm stepping down from a lot of power to the NCX. I'm not sure what an extra 50cc is going. Can't be much. And what affect will it have on the MPG's. I'm used to much more than that so to me it is not worth the wait. That has to be something your decided for yourself. The current model has all the power you need to get through traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've already been making my way through the windshield threads, the Madstad seems pretty popular. I can deal with a bit of vibration, if it's the right type, but the high velocity vibes from a thumper engine on the 250 just don't seem to be palatable to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

60mpg: Check.
Comfortable at 70 mph: The bike is comfortable there, I can't make any promises if you'll be comfortable on the bike. for a 30 mile trip I don't find the seat to bad, the windshield could be larger for highway speeds.
Not taking up massive space: Check (mostly, like any bike it'll chew up as much space as you let it.)
Smooth engine: Check, though you might have to wait a few thousand miles for it to really smooth out if you read some of the posts around here.
Minimal vibration: that depends on on the road, plenty of people have enhanced the suspension that comes OEM.

0-60 in 4 second: not quite, numbers I find on the internet (so they must be true!) put the DCT as 5.4 and the standard at 4.9...

I don't think anyone knows what the nc750x will hold... if it's going to be more HP (probably) more torque (probably) better milage (maybe not?)...

Are you looking at the DCT or the standard?

Howdy from Texas, The seat part is the only thing that will give you a problem. However, all manufactures, with few exceptions, put uncomfortable stock seats on their motorcycles. A after market seat is almost a must with any new bike.

I'm planning on the manual, for the lower purchase price. My commute is 90% 55mph with just a small stretch of 65 mph highway, not many cars and only two stop lights. It's really a perfect motorcycle commute and I'd probably be happy sticking with the CBR if only it were more comfortable.

I haven't really looked for after market seats yet, but I'll poke around and see what's available.

As one who also came over from a cb250R, I think you will like the NC700X. I am also an older rider and find the bike to be comfortable around town and on the freeway. I average 69 MPG with a high MPG of 82 a couple times. The extra storage options will come in handy on your commute also.

I rode rice rockets for years and took a pretty long break before getting back into bikes again. Like you i did not want another sports bike but something that was commuter friendly and got good MPG.

I ride my bike to work several times a week (165 mile round trip) and the NCX does great. The stock seat for me absolutely sucked so i bought a Seat Concepts from one of the forum members. What a world of difference, still not the perfect seat i am looking for but a huge improvement over stock.

Depending on the wind i use about 2 - 2.5 gallons of gas on my 165 mile commute.

I added a Honda center stand to mine along with the complete factory Honda luggage set up. I also added a Puig Touring windscreen that was much better than the factory windscreen. My average speeds are about 55-70 mph and the NCX doe fine with plenty of passing power to spare. I went with the DCT for the ABS and the curiosity of having never owned a DCT equipped bike. I was unsure of the DCT at first but absolutely love it now once i kicked the habit of reaching for the non existent clutch and shift lever........lol.

I do have to admit that the CTX looks really nice and would also make a great commuter bike. As for me i love my bike but may trade it in next year for a 14' Harley Ultra Limited if all works out so my wife can accompany me comfortably on some rides. Till then the NCX does exactly what i need it to do and is quite fun to boot :)

Last edited:
Look no further :)
The NC is a great bike. I'm over 60 and have owned quite a few bikes. I traded in a VFR for the NC. I have no regrets!
I commute daily, take 200 mile Saturday rides and 2000+ mile vacations. The bike is great at any posted speed.
I must say that I like a rock hard saddle and the stock seat had to go. I got a Corbin and I love it. Also, have added a windshield and a trunk. I'm 6' and the Honda tall windshield ended up creating bad turbulence and I ended up adding a spoiler above it to solve the problem.

NC first season 10k + miles of smiles!

I bought my 2013 NC700X with a clutch August 1, 2013.

Me. Getting close to 50. Same needs as you. I also like long trips 1000+ miles.

I rolled 5000 miles today.

My thoughts? My favorite bike. Comfortable. Great gas mileage. No issues so far.

I love the bike. Fun to ride. Sport bike? No. Enough power? Sure, plenty. (Unless your 21 and own an R1 lol) Great center of gravity. Easy to ride.

I extended my warranty to 5 years unlimited miles. I will see how good this warranty is lol.

So far I cant think of one thing I really dislike.

Wait for the nc750x? I would think if the 750 does come out it would make the 2012 & 2013 that much more collectable. The extra 50cc? 700 has plenty for me...

My thoughts...

Good luck!

miles.jpgBike.jpg

Look no further :)
The NC is a great bike. I'm over 60 and have owned quite a few bikes. I traded in a VFR for the NC. I have no regrets!
I commute daily, take 200 mile Saturday rides and 2000+ mile vacations. The bike is great at any posted speed.
I must say that I like a rock hard saddle and the stock seat had to go. I got a Corbin and I love it. Also, have added a windshield and a trunk. I'm 6' and the Honda tall windshield ended up creating bad turbulence and I ended up adding a spoiler above it to solve the problem.

NC first season 10k + miles of smiles!

Can we get a picture of this wind shield mod?

The spoiler is a Wunderlich mounted over a stock Honda tall windscreen. Wind Deflector All Items For This Bike | BMW Wunderlich America

This is by no means the only one out there, but it's the one I chose because it was so adjustable,and others are just to wide to fit with the Honda windscreen. Note to mention, the Corbin seat raised me up an 1" +/- and that was enough to make a difference in my case.

The spoiler is a Wunderlich mounted over a stock Honda tall windscreen. Wind Deflector All Items For This Bike | BMW Wunderlich America

This is by no means the only one out there, but it's the one I chose because it was so adjustable,and others are just to wide to fit with the Honda windscreen. Note to mention, the Corbin seat raised me up an 1" +/- and that was enough to make a difference in my case.

I really like this deflector too. It's pricey but I will use it on any bike I own for the rest of my life...which makes it a bargain in my opinion

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Back