• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Here is one that will get your attention

Scary? Yes, but what can we learn from it. Is it safer to stay waaay to the right in instances like this one? Did he leave enough room between himself and the car stopped in the middle of the road? Obviously the outcome for the rider was yes to both, but should WE pay attention to stuff like this. I would say, he was a very lucky rider.

I actually just a friend and riding buddy get rear ended by a car two weeks ago. He was in traffic and everyone slammed on there brakes including him but not the guy behind him. Threw him onto the car in front of him and left a dent where his head hit. Helmet saved him from some major head trama for sure. He had some bruises and a headache but that was about it. As for the bike.....well, lets just say she didnt make it.......

The people on the bikes did the smart thing to pull to the shoulder, IF, the state law requires a motorist to pull over for a funeral procession. If not, this accident could have been avoided. I know the little truck was ultimately responsible for the accident. All it took was an instant of inattentiveness to not notice traffic in front of him was stopped. I'm of the opinion though, that overly cautious drivers can sometimes 'cause' accidents. Glad the bikers were on the shoulder in this instance.

I am new rider only 3900miles on my ncx, and I cannot be thankful enough for lessons like this. My riding habits have just be changed and I have a new reason to check my mirrors. Thankfully it appears no one was killed for us to learn from this.

My riding habits have just be changed and I have a new reason to check my mirrors.

While idling at a stop sign or traffic light, pump the brake if you see a motorist approaching from behind. That flashing light may get their attention better than the traffic signal. And keep it in gear so you're ready to roll in case they're approaching too fast for comfort. And always have an exit strategy. We have a lot to consider while on our bikes!

We'll never know what is going through this guys head....

[video=youtube;dNFaAqS2f18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dNFaAqS2f18[/video]

Blind corner. Too fast. Wide exit on corner over road edge line. Very lucky no one was seriously hurt.
If you watch the whole scene, the rider clearly had good visibility (the inside of the corner is wide open and viewers have parking and standing room), reasonable speed, and some lean angle left. This is an excellent example of target fixation. Rider comes through curve well to the inside with lots of room to the shoulder. Rider sees the bikes, panics, gets on the brakes a bit, stands the motorcycle up, and fixates on the target. It looks as if the rider is aiming right for the bicycles, instead of the escape route in left half of the lane (where he was in the first place).

Video is also a good pitch for wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle, although this is not how you'd expect to need it.

Yes, target fixation.

Last edited:
We'll never know what is going through this guys head....

same as any one else in this situation bleep!!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
While idling at a stop sign or traffic light, pump the brake if you see a motorist approaching from behind. That flashing light may get their attention better than the traffic signal. And keep it in gear so you're ready to roll in case they're approaching too fast for comfort. And always have an exit strategy. We have a lot to consider while on our bikes!

In addition to that very wise advice....

Keep a little distance between yourself and the car in front so you have room to quickly cut over and get out from behind him if it looks like the guy approaching from the rear may see the car but doesn't see you. Don't stop dead center behind the car in front of you at night, as your single brake light may be mistaken as the "third eye" brake light that all cars now have (and your bike or body may very well be blocking the car's actual third brake light).

My wife got rear ended on her Goldwing about 15 years ago.I have preached to her for 26 years to
" ALWAYS WATCH YOUR MIRRORS"
Well that day she was and when she saw that the guy wasn't going to stop she let off the brake and released the clutch ( bike was in gear sitting still ) and the bike moved forward just a split second before impact.The guy was doing about 25-30mph and fled the scene and my wife ONLY suffered a blown out right knee cap,but I believe that if she had not seen him and didn't take action to lessen the impact it would have been far worse!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back