• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hi-Viz Gear Attracting Attention!

problem with hi-viz, it also not only attract attention on the road.
When i am off bike and has to carry the hi-viz gears into office, you will also get a lot of attention. Trust me ...

I wish that there is, for example, a hi-viz jacket that has built-in cover if i am off bike ... so far has not find any ...

if you wore a hi-vis and a white helmet inc a white motorcycle every body panic a little thinking your a cop.;)
either slowed down or move over.
I've seen that a couple times here.
especially if you got a full fairing on.

what sold me on hi-vis was looking at a highway from far away.
I noticed a motorcycle rider in his hi-vis apparel.
I saw him MILES away.
Ken

An experience similar to yours also convinced me to go the Hi-viz route. I saw some other bikers at almost two miles distant on the road one day and resolved there and then to get one.

Last year I bought an Aerostich light in grey with hi-viz baillistics. I see people seeing me, you can actually see their eyes widen. Pedestrians also take note. And I'm not sure how to explain this, but a woman was walking her dog and the dog stopped, did a double take and had a WTF look on his face as I rode by.:D

Another time I stopped at this burger joint in the sticks and there were about a half dozen H-D's in the lot. I walked in and like in an old western the place fell silent. I looked around and said, "alright, who the hell doesn't fit in here?" We all had a good laugh!

It did take some time to get used to being so obvious, but now I wear that that suit a majority of the time.

problem with hi-viz, it also not only attract attention on the road.
When i am off bike and has to carry the hi-viz gears into office, you will also get a lot of attention. Trust me ...

I wish that there is, for example, a hi-viz jacket that has built-in cover if i am off bike ... so far has not find any ...

My cold weather riding jacket is Black and I wear a hi-vis motorcycle vest over it. It comes off and goes in the frunk when I am off the bike.

I think the hi-viz crowd are usually the more experienced riders. The only exception around here are the Air Force guys where it's in the regs they have to wear it. But then, most of their's are those skimpy, light-weight transportation worker vests. Under that, may be a t-shirt.

Back to the experienced riders. Most of the hi-viz riders here have bikes that will got the distance, have panniers and actually look like they've done the distance. I know when I have my side cases and riding gear on, even the HD guys give "the" wave. Without the aforementioned stuff it's a 50/50 chance.

Now that I'm past my "good wreck" (being one I walked away from), I always have at least my jacket on. Even though it's not technically hi-viz (silver/black), it is around here where most riders have black t-shirts, half helmets and sometimes sandals and shorts on.

Going to our non hi-viz bikes. I have reflective tape all over my bike - especially the back end. Unless you add more running lights, the back end is woefully under lit. The most reflective tape you can get is the SOLAS (safety on land and sea) tape. Right now, I only have the kind the 18 wheelers us. But I have a lot of it!

I've been wearing a Hi-Viz Olympia jacket since day one. I always use my high beams and fork mounted quartz MotoLights to help make me more visible too.
I'm a firm believer in ATGATT ( All The Gear All The Time).
This is my favorite jacket but that is NOT me in the pic.

Attachments

• oly3.jpg
    oly3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 4,080
if you wore a hi-vis and a white helmet inc a white motorcycle every body panic a little thinking your a cop.;)
either slowed down or move over.
I've seen that a couple times here.
especially if you got a full fairing on.
I wear a hi-vis jacket and white helmet. I also have a headlight modulator. Every now and then someone will pull over to let me by thinking I am either a cop or emergency worker.

The headlight modulator also gets a lot of attention helping people to see you. Something moving or changing is more readily seen.

There was a video a few years ago sharing that a motorcycle coming straight at you shows no movement, just slowly getting bigger but weaving side to side will help get seen. I often use my full lane approaching a highway intersection to help be seen by someone entering the highway or someone coming the other way planning to make a turn across my path.

None of this is a guarantee of being seen. People do pull out in front of fire trucks or school busses they didn't see. They items discussed here do improve your odds of being seen and thus reduce the probability of an accident.

Back