• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Home made skid plate for $6.00?

JoeZ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried something like this. Going to a local Walmart and buying a simple bread cutting board and heating it up to mold around the parts of the bottom of your bike to protect certain areas like the oil filter etc. This website shows how this guy did it and thought I'd get some feedback or at least share the page.

$6 Cutting board skid plate KX/RM65 - Mini/Pee-Wee - ThumperTalk

Has anyone tried something like this. Going to a local Walmart and buying a simple bread cutting board and heating it up to mold around the parts of the bottom of your bike to protect certain areas like the oil filter etc. This website shows how this guy did it and thought I'd get some feedback or at least share the page.

$6 Cutting board skid plate KX/RM65 - Mini/Pee-Wee - ThumperTalk

Have you tried it out? I want to put a skid plate on mine but don't really want to spend 300 dollars on it

Have you tried it out? I want to put a skid plate on mine but don't really want to spend 300 dollars on it

i see no pictures on link above,but you need a really big board to make that plate :)
without looking on the bike i think of at least 1'x1'. certainly not walmart stuff,but you can probably find HDPE board this big on ebay. it's same material. it should be flexible\melting around 360F.

Black Marine Board HDPE Polyethylene Plastic Sheet 1/4" x 11" x 12" Textured | eBay

if i was you (or any of those,who willing to try)- i would use a different approach: grab a piece of wonderflex (google it) . and make a good mold. then-fill it with a plaster, separate it. this will give you a shape of the engine or whatever, so you dont have to work with thick and expensive HDPE sheet on the bike itself. all you have to do is to warm the HDPE and put it on the plaster thingy. imo-more steps, more expensive but should be much better quality and much easier. and! you can mass produce it from the mold! they you go! right out of my head. :)

heck..if there is a 50+ people,who would buy it at a reasonable price-i'm willing to try to make one myself :)

Back