• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda chain Noice and cluster issues

1down rest up

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have a 2015 Honda NC 750X and loving it. I recently noticed when I pull of at speeds below 50kph I hear a sound that I thought was gearbox sound but I also feel it when I engage my clutch and apply no torque on the chain. I suspect the chain catching somewhere because I do not feel the chain slipping a tooth or reduction in power. have anyone experience the same issue before and what did you find?

Also my cluster have a few issues as well it does not display the gear selected, the ave consumption, instant consumption or the amount of petrol left in the tank. The revs also does not display accurately. They have tried to install a cluster from a different nc750 with no difference. Any such problems and resolutions please?

More information is needed.

Is the drive chain slack adjusted to specifications? What is the chain age and condition (does it have tight links)?

Did this certain information simply stop displaying on the dash one day, or did it happen after some service event or damage? Was the new display “they” tried the exact part number specified for your model/year?

Is the transmission a manual or automatic?

Is the motorcycle new to you, or are you a long time owner?

I experienced what you described on my cb1100 at about 35k miles. Problem was worn chain and the drive/wheel sprockets. Replaced all with new oem and clanking noise disappeared.

More information is needed.

Is the drive chain slack adjusted to specifications? What is the chain age and condition (does it have tight links)?

Did this certain information simply stop displaying on the dash one day, or did it happen after some service event or damage? Was the new display “they” tried the exact part number specified for your model/year?

Is the transmission a manual or automatic?

Is the motorcycle new to you, or are you a long time owner?
I bought the bike second from dealer it has about 24000km on the clock now so I am not sure about the age of the chain. I will check for the tight links maybe its time for a new chain and sprocket... the info was already not displaying when I left the bike shop. I am also not sure with what model they replaced the cluster with. It is a manual transmision amd O have owned the bike for just over a year now... attached is my drive sprocket pics

Attachments

• 20230526_123622.jpg
    20230526_123622.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230526_123632.jpg
    20230526_123632.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
I bought the bike second from dealer it has about 24000km on the clock now so I am not sure about the age of the chain. I will check for the tight links maybe its time for a new chain and sprocket... the info was already not displaying when I left the bike shop. I am also not sure with what model they replaced the cluster with. It is a manual transmision amd O have owned the bike for just over a year now... attached is my drive sprocket pics
If I understand correctly, some displayed information (example, the high beam indicator) is hard wired to the instrument by individual wires, while some information is transmitted across a serial link. The display has undergone changes serveral times across the the various model years, and there are sometimes differences between manual and automatic models. Since you acquired the motorcycle with the failed display operation, I am going to guess at some point someone installed a display meant for a different year/model, or there is some incompatibilty between the ECM and the display (what Honda calls a combination meter). Ideally, one would look for the exact part number combination meter meant for your motorcycle, and ensure that the correct one is installed.

Again, is the drive chain slack adjusted to specifications? At 24000 km, I doubt you need new sprockets. The one in the photo looks fine.

I bought the bike second from dealer it has about 24000km on the clock now so I am not sure about the age of the chain. ... attached is my drive sprocket pics
Honda manuals show drawings of worn vs normal teeth. Worn are rather pointy vs rounded. Also chain lubrication schedule will affect longevity of sprockets and chain. I was religious about lubing my chain every day while touring and every 200-300 miles of daily commuting (with Pro Honda Chain Lube with Moly). Was told by service department that my lube schedule made the sprockets & chain last longer than normal… 35k miles is a lot evidently.
Also note I used oem parts as replacements, not after market stuff. Service rep kid tried to get me to use “cheaper/performance” parts but I insisted on oem. When the parts arrived, service called me and said oem was correct choice because the sprockets had rubber dampeners on them which he was not aware of. Not sure how this applies to NC750x … but it is a Honda

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, some displayed information (example, the high beam indicator) is hard wired to the instrument by individual wires, while some information is transmitted across a serial link. The display has undergone changes serveral times across the the various model years, and there are sometimes differences between manual and automatic models. Since you acquired the motorcycle with the failed display operation, I am going to guess at some point someone installed a display meant for a different year/model, or there is some incompatibilty between the ECM and the display (what Honda calls a combination meter). Ideally, one would look for the exact part number combination meter meant for your motorcycle, and ensure that the correct one is installed.

Again, is the drive chain slack adjusted to specifications? At 24000 km, I doubt you need new sprockets. The one in the photo looks fine.
Hi thanks for the advise yesterday I clean the chain and sprayed W20 on it and this morning no noise or feeling of friction when in neutral. Tention is 100% so I suspect it was a tight link somewhere...thanks again I will post results as soon the cluster issue is sorted

Back