• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda is rumored to be hot on the trail of turbo motorcycle engines

The trouble with turbo charging a smaller engine is the heat. Hard to get the volume of water needed to cool the engine. The engine just does not last as long.

I already owned a Honda factory manufactured turbo. A 1982 CX500TC.

u6y7y6u8.jpg

The article seems to confuse turbo charging with supercharging. One is worked off the exhaust gas pressure and the other is totally mechanical. All the big four Japanese manufacturers have been down the turbo road . Only Kawasaki came close to getting it right. In the past 50 years or more, to my knowledge, none of them have put a supercharged production bike on the road. BMW did race one in the Isle of Man in 1939 but it was never followed up. It would be interesting to see the outcome of Kawasaki's latest attempt at forced induction which appears to be supercharging. Mercedes have been running "Kompressors" on some of their smaller cars in recent years without much comment from the consumers.

When I read the article I thought the whole supercharger / turbo dual use was because there were two different rumored ideas. One with a turbo and one with a supercharger. I skimmed over it quickly so maybe I misread it.

I have a supercharger on my jeep wrangler. I have seen turbos on jeeps. Two different animals.

Rumor #1 - One of the new Honda turbo engines is said to be derived from the successful architecture of the V4 mill powering the current VFR1200 machine. It will retain the front cylinders, while the turbo charger will occupy the space freed up by removing the rear ones, rumor has it. The new turbo lump would be capable to produce about the same power as the V4, but with only half the displacement.

Rumor #2 - The second engine is rumored to have an 4 in-line architecture, with the cylinders tilted backwards, front intake and the exhaust ports in the rear, and with a compact supercharge mounted close to the crankshaft position. Should we hope to see these prototypes introduced this fall at the 100th EICMA edition? We kind of doubt, but we’re positive it will not be long until they surface, either.

The article seems to confuse turbo charging with supercharging. One is worked off the exhaust gas pressure and the other is totally mechanical. All the big four Japanese manufacturers have been down the turbo road . Only Kawasaki came close to getting it right. In the past 50 years or more, to my knowledge, none of them have put a supercharged production bike on the road. BMW did race one in the Isle of Man in 1939 but it was never followed up. It would be interesting to see the outcome of Kawasaki's latest attempt at forced induction which appears to be supercharging. Mercedes have been running "Kompressors" on some of their smaller cars in recent years without much comment from the consumers.
BMW was quite successful racing supercharged 500, 600, and 750cc machines from 1928 to 1951 but they never did build a road going Kompressor. At various times supercharged BMWs held land speed records and competed and won Grand Prix and International Six Day Trial events..

I can barely reach the ground on my X, I would need step ladders attached to my boots. Looks good though.

I had a 1983 CX650 Turbo......much better bike than the 500.....it was a real rocket.....rode it all over the western states....one of the best bikes I ever owned.....wish I still had it....

Back