• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Weirdness

This doubtless has been commented on before, but being a new guy I thought I'd throw in my .02.

I couldn't figure out why I kept hitting the horn button instead of the turn signal. Doesn't really seem like the two of them are that close together. Then I started checking my other bikes. ST1300 - turn signal on top and horn on bottom. ST1100 - turn signal on top and horn on bottom. 1978 Yamaha RD400 - turn signal on top and horn on bottom. 1971 Yamaha R5 - turn signal on top and horn on bottom. NC700X - horn on top and turn signal on bottom. Now why would Honda go against at least 44 years of Japanese industry standardization? Is it just to drive home the point that our bikes are different? I don't know. But I do know that I find myself sneaking a peek to make sure I am targeting the correct button. I can't wait until the next idiot cage driver around here cuts me off in traffic so in the heat of battle I can flash my turn signal at him in anger. I'm sure that will get his attention!

At any rate, I am learning lesson number 2: Look before you beep!

My advise to everyone having this issue is to get used to resting your left thumb on the top of the turn signal switch. Ones thumb can rest on top of the turn signal arm quite easily. Use it as an index to the find the horn button.

2014-nc700x-gal-3-fs.jpg

After you have examined the above image of the DCT Switch assembly, the location of the horn button should make a little bit more sense.

Regarding the horn itself. The OEM Unit is more of a "Buzzer" than a horn. I recommend replacing it immediately with a PIAA Sport Horn.

361-974_A.jpg

It is really loud and is a plug and play installation. I have them installed on both Nancy and Sparky...

Last edited:
... in this age of distracted drivers a short beep can remind a drifting driver I'm in the lane next to them or get a texting driver going after a light turns green.
I one thousand percent agree. I have many times stopped someone from changing lanes into me or stop from pulling out in front of me by tooting a horn loud enough for them to hear. How about the pedestrian about to step in front of you?

A horn is a safety device!

A horn that cannot be heard is useless. The Honda stock horn borders on useless!

Loud blinkers save lives.

stick a pair of bouncing jubblies on the front, that'll get every body's attention that's for sure and you won't need a HORN!!.

Christina%20Model%20-%20See-through%20Shirt.gif

Last edited:
stick a pair of bouncing jubblies on the front, that'll get every body's attention that's for sure and you won't need a HORN!!.

Christina%20Model%20-%20See-through%20Shirt.gif

After you have examined the above image of the DCT Switch assembly, the location of the horn button should make a little bit more sense. QUOTE]

Brillot2000 has it right ^^^^^^^^^ think this is the real reason for the change........
It's a compromise on the available space and the amount any one button is normally used .

Last edited:
..she is married according to the net...
Married to my (useless) left foot.
You don't have to answer to me. It's is not about that...
It seem to me you don't get it... but it's not my problem.
I'm gonna simple remove my question...

Back