• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How do you light your frunk/trunk

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Thought it would be a good idea to get examples of how people are lighting up their storage areas. I've seen some great examples in these forums. So, post pics of your light solution so others can benefit from your ideas.

I have a temporary setup for both my frunk and my givi trunk. My frunk solution is an LED light flute LED Light Flute Portable,Silver:Amazon:Home Improvement

e2yqutyn.jpg

For my givi trunk I'm trying to use a Coleman LED cooler light. Coghlan's Cooler Light:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

IMG_20130417_053440.jpg

So far the flute light is working well.

The Coleman cooler light... Is not always coming on automatically when I open the trunk. I only just installed it so I'm hoping it will become more reliable as I try to adjust it.

So, what are your storage lighting ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Not on my radar screen either, but it's something to think about.. An LED headband is something that could be very useful at times anyway. Would be easy to leave one in the (non existent) tool kit recess.

After plugging a flat tire at dusk on the side of the road with no lighting I started carrying a small LED flashlight. Otherwise I have no need yet for fixed storage lighting.

You're supposed to keep those under the seat for checking your fuel tank, not in the frunk with flammable items. What's wrong with you anyway?

On a less serious note, I also always carry two or three chemical light sticks (white) as an "in case all else fails" emergency lighting measure. They are cheap, take up very little space, and you don't have to worry the batteries may have gone dead. Also handy to hang up when camping.

Last edited:
I have a LED light that is controlled by a mercury switch. When I open the not tank, the light switches on automatically.
Not the tank light paint.jpg
Got the idea from Beemerphile, like most of my other mods.

Last edited:
I have a LED light that is controlled by a mercury switch. When I open the not tank, the light switches on automatically.
View attachment 3649
Got the idea from Bemmerphile, like most of my other mods.

Where did you get the light? Is it battery powered or wired?

I'm not so sure I'm going to stick with the cooler light... it's OK, and is working much better now but not very bright compared to this!

Its hard wired. The mercury switch turns the light on when the lid is open, and turns it off when closed.

I highly recommend reading all of Beemerphiles Extreme threads. I bought my light in the boating section at Bass Pro.

The next farkle for today is the luggage compartment light. I think it turned out well. I took the skin off of the luggage compartment lid and mounted a clear LED license plate light in the inside center of the lid. There is not much room between the inside frame and the outside cover, but there is enough to squeeze in a couple of wires and the heads of two screws to hold the light in place. There was not enough room to put the nuts on the back side.

View attachment 960View attachment 961

I drilled through the injection molding gate vestige of the inside frame for the wires to pass into the interior space between the frame and cover. I also drilled for two #6 machine screws to hold the light in place.

View attachment 962

I chose a mercury switch to operate it because I did not want a visible switch in the sealing area of the lid. I could only find two places where the switch would both fit and where it could be mounted at the appropriate angle to operate as I wanted to. This place and the same little cubby on the other side.

View attachment 963

Close-up of the mounted switch...

View attachment 964

Here is the finished product. Total cost, about five Yankee bucks. It turns on and off at a 45 degree lid angle. I wired it to always on power for the best utility. Since it is only a 40 milliamp light, it would take many hours to run the battery down.
View attachment 965

After struggling in near pitch dark to get the key into the ignition, I hooked a tiny keychain light to the bike and house key ring. It dangles safely in the handlebar well as I ride.

Back