• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How much gasoline You have put in when filling your tank?

Dang this gettin' old thing. RustyRider you are right. Actually the commonest figure would probably be about a 30 mile reserve with two bottles-still a cheap solution and really puts the bottles out of the way and out of sight yet still readily accessible.

I'm contemplating getting two of those myself. As I have run out of gas before on the NC with out the red reserve light blinking yet, still had two bars. So even if I do take it to the dealer and have them fix my fuel gauge, I will never trust it again. Better to be prepared than calling my Dad and waking him up at 5am to bring me some gas on the side of the road after getting off of a graveyard shift. :mad:

I was coming home from work on Interstate 5 about a month ago and was less than a mile from my exit when the bike ran out of gas on a downhill. I was coasting along approaching the next hill, thinking about the fun I was going to have pushing the bike up the hill, off at the the ramp, and over the overpass ahead. I decided to try to restart, and it fired up and climbed the hill OK, then ran out again on the downhill to the off-ramp. I coasted to the stop sign on the ramp, and it fired up again and I was able to climb the overpass and coast up to the gas pump at the Arco station at the bottom. 3.7 gallons to fill, and the knowledge that the gas pickup is at the rear of the tank and will get the last drop of fuel on an uphill, but not on a downhill.

I just ordered two of the MSR Fuel bottles from Amazon with free Prime shipping

Where will you put the bottle? Is is safe in the frunk or will you mount it somewhere? If you have to use it, can you free pour into the tank or does it require some nozzle attachment?

Thanks!

I can tell you live in Missouri by the price of fuel and we can't even see the 87 octane price. Although here in Arkansas we aren't to far away.

i usually fill up before the light comes on because i have no idea how far i can go as soon as it starts to blink haha. this thread has helped though. apparently i can go a lot further haha

Now that I am fairly confident that my NC's worst consumption is 27 kms/l (63.5 US mpg), I'll look for gas station when 300 kms (186.4 miles) is displayed on the trip-meter. It's a subsidized gas price in here, so each fill-up costs averaged only around USD 5.0 (USD 1.77/gallon) for Octane 91 gasoline.

Last edited:
My route to work and back is 180 miles every three days. I could chance a fourth day which would put me at 240 a tank but I don't. I just fill up every three days and I never end up seeing a flashing light. Its only when I add in the extra little trips during the week that it throws my system off.

I recently was heading to a meeting downtown and came off the highway to have the engine stall. Out of gas. Luckily I was able to fire it up and with a new gas station on the way, ran until it ran out, then coasted to the pump.

Because on the previous fill up the tank overflowed dramatically, I was very careful and probably stopped a little short of full.

3.83 gallons. 252 miles.

I really don't like the digital fuel gauge. On my Vespa, it is a real gauge where you can see the subtle movements and have confidence that fuel is still in the tank. In at least 500 total fill ups, I have never run out of fuel on that one. And I stretch tanks to the absolute bottom some times. I have put 2.6 gallons into that 2.4 gallon tank.

Bike died and i coasted to gas station. Put in (on centerstand and to the brim as always) 13.65 L ie. 3.6G. A bit disappointed since the volume should be 14.1 L ie 3.72G
(I did not try to restart it, because i could coast.)

I'm curious if anyone has run out, restarted and how many km / miles before completely empty.

Last edited:
Back