• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How not to ride a motorcycle.....

Funny you mention this.
When I was a young lad, attending Cabot HS, there was a punk kid who was in my same class. He had a (insert overly powerful and inappropriate for a 17 year old kid motorcycle here) crotch rocket. One day, as he was showing off, he did a wheelie in the school parking lot then accelerated hard. A truck stopped short in front of him. He rear-ended the truck, slid up on his tank, ruptured both of his testicles, then flew over the bike into the bed of the truck. He survived. Well, mostly.

It was at that point where I actually insisted that I wouldn't ride a motorcycle. It was only after 15 years of seeing others ride responsibly that I changed my mind.

You’re familiar with Bill Foster Rd. At 4PM in the evening there are three guys on sports bikes that fly down this road passing multiple cars at one time and cut back in the lane (cutting off vehicles) just in time to avoid a head on with oncoming traffic. It’s only a matter of time before one of them isn't with us anymore. They are with one of the local clubs.

If "bad luck" is a nice way of saying "stupid", then I agree with you.

He had ample time to decelerate when he saw the car turn. His decision to pass between the car and the curb was where he screwed up. Real bad idea.

Are you looking at the same video? The car never turned - it was driving along the road (this is the UK - we drive on the left :p). Basically, it looks like he was just going round the bend, saw the car, panicked and got fixated on it, didn't think he could make the bend, stood the bike up and so on....

Are you looking at the same video? The car never turned - it was driving along the road (this is the UK - we drive on the left :p). Basically, it looks like he was just going round the bend, saw the car, panicked and got fixated on it, didn't think he could make the bend, stood the bike up and so on....

Talking about two different videos. (My fault I'm afraid, for jacking wozza's post :eek: sorry wozza!)

My Ducati dummy video link was in my original post reply to the topic at hand, where I expressed: Daaayyyuuum! @ the wozza rhubarb exploring UK rider, lol

You’re familiar with Bill Foster Rd. At 4PM in the evening there are three guys on sports bikes that fly down this road passing multiple cars at one time and cut back in the lane (cutting off vehicles) just in time to avoid a head on with oncoming traffic. It’s only a matter of time before one of them isn't with us anymore. They are with one of the local clubs.
Wasn't there a pedestrian killed there recently? Or was that Kerr Station/Campground?

That's insane. I wonder who is more stupid - the guy crashing the Ducati or the guy who let some random dude on the internet borrow his Ducati.

I think the owner is probably less concerned than the majority of viewers, heehee.

If it were me owning a Panigale, it would only occur if I sold major organs, stopped eating, gave up all other worldly possessions, became celibate, qualified for a loan (which I couldn't) etc., etc. :(

I picture the kind of person who actually owns a Panigale, and thinks nothing of lending out said Panigale to a complete stranger for a week or more, as more likely having a Merc SLS AMG GT for sunny day weekend jaunts to the lake cabin, a selection of other exotic Italian, German, and Japanese bikes to ride, an SUV, a CTS, or a new 'Vette, a nice multi-hundred thousand dollar house, blinged out trophy wife, etc.

Stupid probably still applies, but it becomes less relevent to the care/don't care point if you're stinking rich, I guess. lol.

That's insane. I wonder who is more stupid - the guy crashing the Ducati or the guy who let some random dude on the internet borrow his Ducati.

"....I ride like a stupid ***....."

At least he was up front and honest with the guy who he borrowed it from.

I haven't been in the US for 15 years....since before the term "social media" was invented....are all young people as self-absorbed as this guy seems to be?

Last edited:
That one is common. They make lanyards that attach to the lock and the handlebar to help you remember to remove the lock.

Trying to avoid that exact situation with my wife's bike. Lanyard AND red flag.

disclock_zps517b4a44.jpg

Seems to know where the horn is,I still have to look to find it.yep that is why they give u the lanyard with them.on the bright side that is one way to test the lock.it works.

Idiots.... The UK guy simply rode beyond his capability. If the car weren't there, he would have be a really bad line for the next corner.

The Duc guy is got what he deserved though. The van pulled out in front and he had plenty of time and room to slow down or prepare to slow/swerve. He did none of that. Perhaps he just wasn't paying attention? I don't think he had bad luck for crashing. He put himself in a bad situation that increased his risk drastically. He created the "bad luck", like walking under ladders - sooner or later he will have a paint bucket fall on his head.

Could be great advertisement for Alpinestar motorcycle gear. I could just see the slogan now ;

"Alpinestar motorcycle gear.....Even protects crash dummies!"

Don't know what the Duc dude was wearing but lets not try to imagine what either one of them would of looked like had they not had protective gear on:):(.

Unless it's gone to the giant scrap heap in the sky, somewhere on the planet is my buddy's 1982 CB900F front wheel, with a big 'ol Kryptonite U-Lock shaped dent in one of the ComStar spokes.

Rev Rev. clunk! Screech, dump.

lol I still occasionally remind him of that, some 30+ years later. :D

Thanks for sharing iSlander. You know I was thinking about getting myself one of those locks , but now I'm thinking otherwise:rolleyes:.

The problem wasn't the lock. The problem was not having the lanyard over the throttle grip. The whole point of having it there instead of anywhere else on the bike is so that it gets in the way of your hand and you can't possibly fail to notice it. Attaching it anywhere else on the bike than right smack in the middle of one of the grips is meaningless.

Back