• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to prepare bike for Winter storage

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Winter is approaching.
I do not ride in Winter unless it is a very specially sunny day and roads are clean. (I do not have winter tires anyway for this vehicle, so no no).

This is what I do to prep the bike for winter storage, but I do not claim it is the best way, nor in this sequence necessarily.

1. Wash bike thoroughly, dry bike
2. Wax bike (but not the seat please)
3. Clean and oil chain
4. Change oil and oil filter (just before storage)
5. Put bike on mainstand or improvise something to prop up BOTH her tires (prevents flatspotting)
6. Hook up battery tender (or remove battery and hook up battery indoors)
7. For storage OUTSIDE a roofed garage, buy a good cover (with ventilation to prevent moisture building up)
8. Empty all storage spaces (like half-drunk bottle of coca-cola, etc)

Any other ideas boys and girls?
:rolleyes:
~Joe

Either completely fill or completely empty fuel tank.
I always chane oil & filter when I start using the bike agai.
of course this will only apply to crossrunner as I ride the NC all year round

I prepare mine the same as summer riding, I ride the heck out of it!
Anything that will sit all winter gets a oil change, topped off with gas/stable and a battery tender.
The only thing that keeps me off bike come winter time is ice and snow.

Ok, everyone here knows by now that I am a fanatic, but I would add Pri-G fuel stabilizer and fill the tank with ethanol free gas. Sta-bil is better than nothing. Where accessible, I remove the plugs and put a bit of oil in the combustion chambers and then turn the motor over a few times by hand. Not necessary, I know.

Since it is a fuel-injected bike, I am more inclined to fill her up rather than drain her fuel.

I do know in many countries (near sea) the risk of rusty inner-tank is real

And also fuel-mists build up over the winter, this can may even constitute an explosion risk.
Of course I am just exaggerating.
:D

As a lazy guy, I am more inclined to just "dump" the bike in the garage (even if it is a new one), and do nothing in the end. (That is more the realistic thing I would do, instead of the "what I should do" checklist.)
Hmm..lets see, which approach I do in November.
Lets see...
:p

I guess when I said "The only thing that keeps me off bike come winter time is ice and snow." I should have added Gebings quit working also.
10 degree Fahrenheit sucks without being plugged in!

If you do store it outside or even in a shed. securely plug and cover the air intake to the air filter and the exhaust pipe exit too. Mice get into everything. I do this even when it's stored in the garage, which is a part of our house.

I know this is an old thread but it seemed prudent to continue on this one then start a new one.

- Which battery tender model do you guys use?
- What types of fuel stabilizer do you use.

Your local Cycle Gear will carry a standard "Deltran Battery Tender Junior." That is all you need, it will keep the battery charged over indefinite periods of time, automatically turn off when the battery is full and then turn back on again when it's not. It comes with the connector that you need to attach it to your battery, and they're inexpensive.

Thankfully I live in California, so no fuel stabilizer for me.

Try rain freezes and turns to white death.-10 degree sometimes.was 45 today when i went for a ride

sent from my nc700x

How to prepare bike for winter, Arizona style:

1) Make sure tank is full of fuel,
2) Wash bike,
3) Wash & dry riding gear, helmet & liner, etc.
4) Suit up and head out for a ride, just like yesterday!
:D

Back