• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I just want to ride

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
For warning: There is no actual point to this post.

It's freezing rain here on the last small town from Chicago before the endless farm fields begin.. My NC is in storage in the attached garage. I stare at it daily, some times twice a day. I've got 681 miles on it before it was parked for storage.

I've completed the 600 mile service, Fuel stabilizer in the tank, both ends up to prevent flat spots. Battery is on a tender. So sad.

The icing on the cake is my girl just picked up a Honda CBR250R ABS! Such a sweet deal from the local dealer. I've since read anything and everything about this bike. Besides the valves @16k miles instead of 8k for the NC everything else is the same. Making maintenance easy and simple for me. She's wanted a bike for a year now, and we knew winter would be the best deal time.

Her and I plan on doing some traveling on the bikes. I spend my time looking at bag options for my bike. How to store all the stuff we will need. (we don't camp, hotels are nice) The plan we have so far is my bigger bike will be the mule. Carrying all our luggage. I've seen bags and top cases for the little CBR but she is a small new rider. 5' 2'' 101 lbs. For the time being until she learns more riding skill her bike won't have luggage.

I've been juggling between the givi 35L ish + luggage options or the honda 29L stuff. Luggage for 2 might require the largest bags I can find for the NC. The problem is I don't like any of the mounting hardware except for how the honda bags mount. We won't be traveling every weekend, so I don't want unsightly hardware on the bike for 95% of my riding usuage. Oh well guess I have lots of time to decide.

I've spent more time on the 250R forum lately. Her bike needs modifications right away. The bike still has 0 miles on it as the seat is much too tall for her. The lowering will be somewhere in the 2.5 '' range. Again, searching for the best hardware for her bike. Lots of options and I suspect that is what is slowing my purchasing down. I measure twice cut once kind of guy, just a bit anal on stuff too!

We test road the dealers bike way back in the summer. The 250R is simply a blast to ride. So light, smooth running for a single, and the maintenance intervals are fantastic! I wish the NC was shimed like the CBR250R is, no need to remove cams! She loved the bike, and we waited. Waited until the price was right and bought a red and silver one! A friend came along and also bought a bike. Althought we could not persuade her to look at the 300, she chose the 2012 Kawasaki 250R. Carbs, no abs, higher price. Oh well, we did score free delivery of the bikes as we bought two at the same time. That bike too, will be lowered by me, yay!

Fast forward to today. Drisly, ugly out. Cabin fever setting in. I've got Top Gear UK on netflix all day after the 24hrs of Daytona finished. I've got spread sheets on the computer setup for maintenance records and intervals. The book marks of my browser are neatly organized by bike, and by purchase order.

I'm typing this on my iPad as the bluetooth keyboard makes it so easy. And I don't want to fire up the computer any more. Watching the 3 "presenters" race around some track in Virgina (the US episode where they take a SLS, 458 Italia, and a GT3 RS. Damn looks fun!

As a kicker, the weather will reach 64F Tuesday. But will be severe thunderstorms. All I want to do is just ride.

But I guess my hot soup, Top Gear and myself typing this will just have to do.

Last edited:
The 16k valve intervals on the CBR are surprising to me. I have a CRF250L (dual sport with the same engine) and the valve checks on it are initial at 600 miles then 4k and every 4k after that

I wish the NC was shimed like the CBR250R is, no need to remove cams!

Not sure if you are implying that the NC requires cam removal, but the NC700 does not require cam removal and has screw and locknut valve adjustments, which I would prefer to shims anyway.

Greg

For warning: There is no actual point to this post.

It's freezing rain here on the last small town from Chicago before the endless farm fields begin.. My NC is in storage in the attached garage. I stare at it daily, some times twice a day. I've got 681 miles on it before it was parked for storage.

I've completed the 600 mile service, Fuel stabilizer in the tank, both ends up to prevent flat spots. Battery is on a tender. So sad.

The icing on the cake is my girl just picked up a Honda CBR250R ABS! Such a sweet deal from the local dealer. I've since read anything and everything about this bike. Besides the valves @16k miles instead of 8k for the NC everything else is the same. Making maintenance easy and simple for me. She's wanted a bike for a year now, and we knew winter would be the best deal time.

Her and I plan on doing some traveling on the bikes. I spend my time looking at bag options for my bike. How to store all the stuff we will need. (we don't camp, hotels are nice) The plan we have so far is my bigger bike will be the mule. Carrying all our luggage. I've seen bags and top cases for the little CBR but she is a small new rider. 5' 2'' 101 lbs. For the time being until she learns more riding skill her bike won't have luggage.

I've been juggling between the givi 35L ish + luggage options or the honda 29L stuff. Luggage for 2 might require the largest bags I can find for the NC. The problem is I don't like any of the mounting hardware except for how the honda bags mount. We won't be traveling every weekend, so I don't want unsightly hardware on the bike for 95% of my riding usuage. Oh well guess I have lots of time to decide.

I've spent more time on the 250R forum lately. Her bike needs modifications right away. The bike still has 0 miles on it as the seat is much too tall for her. The lowering will be somewhere in the 2.5 '' range. Again, searching for the best hardware for her bike. Lots of options and I suspect that is what is slowing my purchasing down. I measure twice cut once kind of guy, just a bit anal on stuff too!

We test road the dealers bike way back in the summer. The 250R is simply a blast to ride. So light, smooth running for a single, and the maintenance intervals are fantastic! I wish the NC was shimed like the CBR250R is, no need to remove cams! She loved the bike, and we waited. Waited until the price was right and bought a red and silver one! A friend came along and also bought a bike. Althought we could not persuade her to look at the 300, she chose the 2012 Kawasaki 250R. Carbs, no abs, higher price. Oh well, we did score free delivery of the bikes as we bought two at the same time. That bike too, will be lowered by me, yay!

Fast forward to today. Drisly, ugly out. Cabin fever setting in. I've got Top Gear UK on netflix all day after the 24hrs of Daytona finished. I've got spread sheets on the computer setup for maintenance records and intervals. The book marks of my browser are neatly organized by bike, and by purchase order.

I'm typing this on my iPad as the bluetooth keyboard makes it so easy. And I don't want to fire up the computer any more. Watching the 3 "presenters" race around some track in Virgina (the US episode where they take a SLS, 458 Italia, and a GT3 RS. Damn looks fun!

As a kicker, the weather will reach 62F Thursday. But will be severe thunderstorms. All I want to do is just ride.

But I guess my hot soup, Top Gear and myself typing this will just have to do.

Don't feel so bad. I live in sunny warm FL and I also have only 681 miles on the NCX. I am trying to keep the miles down for a better trade in value.

Back