• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Should I get my bike inspected after low-speed crash?

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
I was recently in a relatively low-speed crash last week (we had just made a turn so maybe 15-20mph) that involved an impact with a car. Basically, she turned right into a parking lot from the left-hand lane but was doing so while turning right onto the road from another road, so essentially took the turn like a semi-truck even though she was in a mini-cooper. I had come up beside her while she was in the middle of this thinking she was just fading out into the left-hand lane (it was a 4-lane road) like people do when they are turning right but want in the left lane of the road they are turning on to. She came across the front of me at an angle so I didn't really hit her directly but more at an angle that resulted in me glancing/riding down the front part of her car and then falling over onto my left side once I cleared the front of it. The bike slid enough to scratch up the plastics and Barkbuster, but nothing seems bent (maybe the handlebars, but it is hard to tell). Unfortunately, I landed on my left shoulder and did not slide which resulted in me breaking my collarbone. So while the damage looks cosmetic and the bike looks rideable, I am unable to really tell because I can't actually ride it to see if anything feels off.

Her insurance company sent me the estimate for the damages today. Normally, if I could ride the bike I would make a judgment call on if it felt OK and if so, just pocket the money because the scratches aren't that bad. However, since I can't ride it I am debating on having them tow it to a shop to get fixed and ensure nothing is more seriously wrong with it. Given that the speed wasn't that high and it wasn't really a direct/high impact I'm not sure if it is going to be worth the hassle of getting it to a shop and back though.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you heal well and quickly.

If it were me, I'd have them tow it and fix it, unless you're desperate for some cash.

Only you can answer the hassle question. I will say that I'm not really aware of any dealership service departments that are really qualified for collision repairs. By that I mean they don't repair anything, just replace any parts that show damage. So if the frame is damaged, then they replace the frame. If the swingarm is damaged, they replace that. Some will do plastic repairs to fairings, but most will just replace the whole panel. The question is, will they have someone who can actually recognize and quantify the damages accurately, and has the insurance adjuster correctly accounted for everything. Keep in mind that her insurance adjuster is working for her insurance company, not you.
If it was me, I'd get my own estimate from another dealership if at all possible. For that, it's gonna need a ride to them. Then I'd tell the insurance adjuster to write me check for the higher amount, go buy the parts myself and have a project. This is on the assumption that you have the time/tools/equipment/inclination to do it yourself. On the other hand, riding weather is coming soon here in MT and I've realized that I like riding more than wrenching. :)

Only you can answer the hassle question. I will say that I'm not really aware of any dealership service departments that are really qualified for collision repairs. By that I mean they don't repair anything, just replace any parts that show damage. So if the frame is damaged, then they replace the frame. If the swingarm is damaged, they replace that. Some will do plastic repairs to fairings, but most will just replace the whole panel. The question is, will they have someone who can actually recognize and quantify the damages accurately, and has the insurance adjuster correctly accounted for everything. Keep in mind that her insurance adjuster is working for her insurance company, not you.
If it was me, I'd get my own estimate from another dealership if at all possible. For that, it's gonna need a ride to them. Then I'd tell the insurance adjuster to write me check for the higher amount, go buy the parts myself and have a project. This is on the assumption that you have the time/tools/equipment/inclination to do it yourself. On the other hand, riding weather is coming soon here in MT and I've realized that I like riding more than wrenching. :)
I have the tools and inclination to work on it, just don't currently have a place to work on it (a.k.a a garage). I'm not about working on things in the elements anymore if I can help it.

The thing for me is what you touched on, which is I go through the hassle of taking it to a repair shop and they just do a visual inspection and replace whatever they see is dinged up, but not actually check the hard parts beyond a quick visual inspection.

I have time so I will probably just wait a few more weeks until I am healed enough to at least take it around the block and see if anything feels off.

I don't know what law is in VA, but here in Alabama I would contact an attorney. Find one that won't charge anything for a consultation and go from there.

I don't know what law is in VA, but here in Alabama I would contact an attorney. Find one that won't charge anything for a consultation and go from there.
Plenty of lawyers on billboards and TV ads in Alabama. From what I've seen, an inordinate number.

I was recently in a relatively low-speed crash last week (we had just made a turn so maybe 15-20mph) that involved an impact with a car. Basically, she turned right into a parking lot from the left-hand lane but was doing so while turning right onto the road from another road, so essentially took the turn like a semi-truck even though she was in a mini-cooper. I had come up beside her while she was in the middle of this thinking she was just fading out into the left-hand lane (it was a 4-lane road) like people do when they are turning right but want in the left lane of the road they are turning on to. She came across the front of me at an angle so I didn't really hit her directly but more at an angle that resulted in me glancing/riding down the front part of her car and then falling over onto my left side once I cleared the front of it. The bike slid enough to scratch up the plastics and Barkbuster, but nothing seems bent (maybe the handlebars, but it is hard to tell). Unfortunately, I landed on my left shoulder and did not slide which resulted in me breaking my collarbone. So while the damage looks cosmetic and the bike looks rideable, I am unable to really tell because I can't actually ride it to see if anything feels off.

Her insurance company sent me the estimate for the damages today. Normally, if I could ride the bike I would make a judgment call on if it felt OK and if so, just pocket the money because the scratches aren't that bad. However, since I can't ride it I am debating on having them tow it to a shop to get fixed and ensure nothing is more seriously wrong with it. Given that the speed wasn't that high and it wasn't really a direct/high impact I'm not sure if it is going to be worth the hassle of getting it to a shop and back though.
If your state has public adjusters who certify claims on motorcycles, that might be your best bet. If you know an accident attorney, they can recommend one. If not, some states have registries citing the adjuster’s competencies. Honestly, if you have Morgan and Morgan in your state, they are an excellent firm when it comes to accidents. Actually they have a good rep overall. Since you have injuries they’ll take the case.

Back