• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking For Opinions: Touring Mods

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am seeking opinions on this so there really is no right or wrong.

I want to go on two longer rides in the next three years; one to Canada and the other out west to a place to be named later. I was planning on buying a bike that would also be an all rounder but with a little more power, better weather protection, and something really fun to ride around on the weekends. Commuting is unimportant as I have the C400GT for my errands and I work from home. The trips would be all pavement, at least that is the intention.

Here's the thing. I just don’t want to buy a new, or used, bike. Though I can afford any bike I want, I really don’t want to fork out the dough. Plus, I see myself going all in on maxi scooters after the trips. So it just doesn’t make sense. A new or used bike is not going to happen no matter what right now. I was this close to purchasing a new F850GS over the weekend (if anyone is looking for one there is a smoking hot deal right now here in SW Florida at Gulfcoast BMW) and just walked away from it.

So if I do these trips it will be on the NC. I have done a few mods; some I like some I don’t. I would get a more comfortable seat than the Seat Concepts. I would replace the Puig touring screen I have on there now (it is not right for me). I have luggage, handlebar risers and also lowered footpegs, rebuilt the front and rear suspension, auxiliary lights (I would change these or add a dimmer), BarkBusters, Lowered footpegs, power outlets, and Givi crash bars.

If this were you taking this bike on a 4K and a 6 -7 K mile trip what additional mods would you make to the NC to take on these longer trips? Tires, maintenance, etc, will all be done. I have a 2018 DCT.

Gas is not an issue in the east, but out west it can be. Find at least a 1 gal fuel container ( that will give you an additional 50 miles anyway) you can either mount outside, or can hide inside.
A GPS can come in handy.
A throttle control of some kind to give the hand a rest.
A TPMS is not a bad idea
(I assume you will have a tire repair kit.)
Chain lube and tools to adjust it
AAA membership, 2 credit cards, and some cash
List of Honda dealerships in the states you will be traveling thru

I have not done a long trip but I'm not so sure I'd want a ton of tools. Some chain lube and a tape measure. More than that I think any shop should be able to handle a chain adjustment. Free advice from the internet :)

I have not done a long trip but I'm not so sure I'd want a ton of tools. Some chain lube and a tape measure. More than that I think any shop should be able to handle a chain adjustment. Free advice from the internet :)
I'm have a Polish heritage; "free" is a religion to us, almost as much as Catholicism! Thank you!

Gas is not an issue in the east, but out west it can be. Find at least a 1 gal fuel container ( that will give you an additional 50 miles anyway) you can either mount outside, or can hide inside.
A GPS can come in handy.
A throttle control of some kind to give the hand a rest.
A TPMS is not a bad idea
(I assume you will have a tire repair kit.)
Chain lube and tools to adjust it
AAA membership, 2 credit cards, and some cash
List of Honda dealerships in the states you will be traveling thru
These are great suggestions! Maybe an automatic chain oiler would be a good idea. I do have a full tool kit for the bike that, funnily enough considering my post above, that I got for free from Revzilla. The tire kit is a great suggestion and I do have one.

Based on your OP I would concentrate on the "sit here and twist that" features of your bike. Seat, bars, pegs and wind management and it sounds like you have those covered or at least considering changes to them.

Traveling long distances means long periods of time in the saddle. Get comfortable and distance comes easier. Ferret mentioned TPMS and some way to work around the lack of cruise control. Those are important to me as are tools to adjust the chain, tire plugging tools and an air compressor. I generally don't carry tools to do major roadside repairs but I keep up a good roadside assistance plan through BMWMOA. A 4000 mile trip is a series of 500 mile trips and those are easier to plan for.

Highway pegs, extra gas, and a cell phone. Center stand is great for mid-ride chain adjustments, so those wrenches too (13, 14, and crescent?). Madstad is great for wind protection and less wind noise. (Call ahead and take a ride to the Madstad factory for a discount).

Otherwise I'd just go not expecting a breakdown on a 2018 Honda.

I did my Newfoundland trip on the NC and it did the job nicely. I would consider you add a way to bring along extra gasoline, as was already mentioned. I carry a one gallon RotopaX.

I suggest heated hand grips. For a cold morning in Canada, or to deal with temperature changes at elevations out west, just push the buttons and your hands are warmed. No need to pack extra gear or heated gear just for those moments you need a little heat.

Some things like throttle control devices are individual preferences. I have never had a problem holding the throttle all day.

I started my 6000 mile Newfoundland trip with a new chain and new tires. (Set the previous chain aside for later use). As the chain was new, it required very little attention. The only thing that failed on the long trip was the right rear wheel bearing, although it made it home. You may want to make sure that bearing is reasonably fresh, as others have also had it fail.

Some food for thought.
What's most important, going on the ride or going on your bike on the ride?
If the ride is the key point and you can afford anything you want, consider renting. No sunk cost, get a roadside assistance plan, and walk away afterwards into your future maxi scooter lifestyle.

If going on your bike is key, the three biggest mods directly related to the trip have already been mentioned. Get the madstad now and find the good adjustments. Research and get the best seat you can (and an airhawk just in case), and a throttle control.
If you are like me, you are daydreaming about the trip and have an idea about your route. That should tell you if there are long legs that exceed your bike fuel range. If there are, get the extra fuel container.
IMO, You have a lot of money in your bike now to make looking for a different one (that you will still have to mod for the trip) worth it.
In any event, good luck with the decision! Share pictures!

Based on your OP I would concentrate on the "sit here and twist that" features of your bike. Seat, bars, pegs and wind management and it sounds like you have those covered or at least considering changes to them.

Traveling long distances means long periods of time in the saddle. Get comfortable and distance comes easier. Ferret mentioned TPMS and some way to work around the lack of cruise control. Those are important to me as are tools to adjust the chain, tire plugging tools and an air compressor. I generally don't carry tools to do major roadside repairs but I keep up a good roadside assistance plan through BMWMOA. A 4000 mile trip is a series of 500 mile trips and those are easier to plan for.
Thanks Dave!!

Some food for thought.
What's most important, going on the ride or going on your bike on the ride?
If the ride is the key point and you can afford anything you want, consider renting. No sunk cost, get a roadside assistance plan, and walk away afterwards into your future maxi scooter lifestyle.

If going on your bike is key, the three biggest mods directly related to the trip have already been mentioned. Get the madstad now and find the good adjustments. Research and get the best seat you can (and an airhawk just in case), and a throttle control.
If you are like me, you are daydreaming about the trip and have an idea about your route. That should tell you if there are long legs that exceed your bike fuel range. If there are, get the extra fuel container.
IMO, You have a lot of money in your bike now to make looking for a different one (that you will still have to mod for the trip) worth it.
In any event, good luck with the decision! Share pictures!
That is an interesting point on renting. I don’t think I would want to do that though. Riding my bike with my mods is the challenge/experience I am going for. Thank you for taking the time DT!

I did my Newfoundland trip on the NC and it did the job nicely. I would consider you add a way to bring along extra gasoline, as was already mentioned. I carry a one gallon RotopaX.

I suggest heated hand grips. For a cold morning in Canada, or to deal with temperature changes at elevations out west, just push the buttons and your hands are warmed. No need to pack extra gear or heated gear just for those moments you need a little heat.

Some things like throttle control devices are individual preferences. I have never had a problem holding the throttle all day.

I started my 6000 mile Newfoundland trip with a new chain and new tires. (Set the previous chain aside for later use). As the chain was new, it required very little attention. The only thing that failed on the long trip was the right rear wheel bearing, although it made it home. You may want to make sure that bearing is reasonably fresh, as others have also had it fail.
My chains and sprockets are new so that box is checked (not sure if you recall I was the dufus who put the sprocket on backwards). I saw a recent post of yours on the bearings, at least I think it was recently posted. Went right out to check. They’re cheap enough, I might as well replace them.

I have heated grips on the BMW scooter. I also had them on the VFR. I had never used them before a couple of weeks ago and it was really welcome.

The extra fuel is something I had not thought of before these posts today.

Highway pegs, extra gas, and a cell phone. Center stand is great for mid-ride chain adjustments, so those wrenches too (13, 14, and crescent?). Madstad is great for wind protection and less wind noise. (Call ahead and take a ride to the Madstad factory for a discount).

I’ll see what others have used for the highway pegs here on the forum. Any suggestions are welcome. I’ll order what works this weekend.

Ordering the Corbin seat too.

Thank you Eric!

Any recommendations on the TPMS would be welcome. Thank you Dave. Obviously, you’re welcome to join on either trip!

DId a little research on highway pegs used by others here. I like the Altrider the best

I'm have a Polish heritage; "free" is a religion to us, almost as much as Catholicism! Thank you!
My mother was Polish. Walking past a shop window one day there were postcards with things for sale. Her eye was immediately drawn to the one that said FREE. It was for kittens. A heart of gold, she would have given you her last breath.

My mother was Polish. Walking past a shop window one day there were postcards with things for sale. Her eye was immediately drawn to the one that said FREE. It was for kittens. A heart of gold, she would have given you her last breath.
Your mom sounds like a lovely woman. Yes; we are also a very giving culture, proudly.

DId a little research on highway pegs used by others here. I like the Altrider the best

I agree that the Altrider is the best engineered product. Pity about its heavy price tag ! (ouch)
Iron Skill products are good value and unpretentious but you'd need to cut out a little piece of the undertray to fit them.
JPCycles is also good value and appears to be well made, although its too blingy/Harley for our Hondas in my view

Sounds like your bike is setup well.
Carry a light weight pair of gloves and a mid weight pair of gloves for those cool evenings.
A cloth insulated cooler lined with Reflectrix to carry lunches.
Side stand "foot pad" for soft ground.
Water bottle, min 24 oz.
Rain Suit.
Baseball hat
Sun screen
Windex wipes to clean face shield and wind screen.
Strips of blue painters tape on the inside of the frunk lid. Put them across the top of your face shield as a sun shield/visor when heading east in the morning.
GPS for sure, even here near Philadelphia I can easily get caught between cell signals for up to an hour once I'm off highway.
Tools I carry; metric Allen wrench set, 2-14 mm wrenches to tighten down the mirrors that seem to always come loose. Leatherman, a large-ish pocket knife.,2 rock straps long enough to reach around your side cases and hold them close, a flash light, air pressure gauge and tire inflator. Jump pack that has USB ports, mine has a work light built into it.

I carry camping gear in a black roll top bag on the back seat. It acts as a back rest. It helps with the longer days.
Have fun on your trips

Can't help you much. A year after I bought my 2013, I rode 3000 miles in one week, including an iron butt 1054 miles in 17 hours, my bike was all stock, even the seat (I may have had a topbox). I stayed east of the Mississippi River, so gas stations every 10 miles or so. I now have a taller screen, a cee-baily( no longer makes motorcycle windshields), a honeycomb style cover on my seat, and kuryaken highway pegs. Up to covid, I rode it the Smokies 2 times a year (about a thousand miles in 3-4 days). I do carry a few tools (mainly for chain adjustment if needed), some chain lube, spare key and my credit card.

Back