• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking For Opinions: Touring Mods

Late on the GPS conversation but……. I find that Scenic iOS app is fantastic. It has downloaded maps that update quite regularly. A fun feature is the round trip function. Tell it what direction you want to explore, tell about how far you want to ride, then tell it what type ride you want. I have found a bunch of cool roads in an area that I thought I knew every pig trail around. I have an inexpensive Alliexpress gps gadget mounted above my speedometer that is linked to my phone which is now safely in my pocket, (which is another thing I recently learned why!)
I just looked the Scenic app. Seems like users really enjoy it. Thanks for the tip!

A mod that I'd also like to add is a camera. I'd prefer one that is easy to transfer from bike to bike. I was wondering if anyone has used a camera on their bike that they are either happy or disappointed with.

A mod that I'd also like to add is a camera. I'd prefer one that is easy to transfer from bike to bike. I was wondering if anyone has used a camera on their bike that they are either happy or disappointed with.
I was looking for a cheap, portable option and landed on the Akaso EK7000. It works okay. It gets the job done. I'm not happy with the battery life or size of the sd card, but it is more than enough for my commutes. The waterproof case that can be had for it does not allow for access to any of the ports for charging or microphone. It also rattles quite a bit in the case. There are other mounting options that allows access to the ports and the camera allows for recording while charging and continuous recording (overwriting when the card is full).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCurt1981/videos to see the quality.

I would give it a two stars out of five, but I am in no hurry to replace it while it works. If looking for something with GoPro or Insta360 quality, look elsewhere.

For a camera, seriously look at the Insta360 x3. I have a DJI Osmo action that I use on my bikes. I WAS going to buy the Insta360 this off season, but I just HAD to buy my 24 NC750.... and now I'm outfitting it, so the camera has dropped down on the "must have" list. There are a crapload of youtube revies on the Insta360. The are a few reasons why I want that camera though. 1- The wind filtering works quite well. My Osmo action (version 1) wind filtering is pretty much nonexistant. I've had to jerry rig a volume knob and exterior mike to it to reduce the wind noise to tolerable. Unfortunately, it also eliminates the engine sound. 2. The "invisible stick" mounting system. It makes the mount disappear in the frame. 3, and Biggest reason that I want one.. 360ish (it's not REALLY 360 as stitching has to occur between camera lenses) view. Mount on the front, and it see's 98% of everything around you. Using the software, you can decide what you are seeing frame by frame. You can have it looking at you, or your buddy next to you, behind you, or in front. Very nice feature. I also think that it would be an outstanding "dash cam" in case of an incident because it covers almost all areas. It will also function without the battery by being plugged into a USB for power. So, in theory, with a big enough SD card, you can record an entires day ride by having it plugged in without having to worry about your battery dieing or having to change batteries every half hour or so. So, to me thats a big selling point...its an action cam and dash cam in one package. Also, food for thought to anyone looking at it or any other action camera.... get it at Best Buy (you'll pay more) and buy the Geek Squad accident protection....drop it, crash it, rock strike on the fragile lens (I'm not pleased with the non replaceable lenses) and take it to Best Buy and hand it to them... fixed (probably not) or replaced (most likely). Doing it this way, you'll likely pay a little more, but you won't be out the money if/when something happens. My Osmo action has replaceable lenses, and I keep an extra on hand when I ride...how in the hell small rocks beat the small odds of hitting the lens on the camera I'll never know, but it does happen.

Last edited:
I use a dedicated Garmin GPS. It’s waterproof, and the maps are always loaded. It has no dependence on cellular or wi-fi signals. Works well with motorcycling gloves.
I might have to look into this

For a camera, seriously look at the Insta360 x3. I have a DJI Osmo action that I use on my bikes. I WAS going to buy the Insta360 this off season, but I just HAD to buy my 24 NC750.... and now I'm outfitting it, so the camera has dropped down on the "must have" list. There are a crapload of youtube revies on the Insta360. The are a few reasons why I want that camera though. 1- The wind filtering works quite well. My Osmo action (version 1) wind filtering is pretty much nonexistant. I've had to jerry rig a volume knob and exterior mike to it to reduce the wind noise to tolerable. Unfortunately, it also eliminates the engine sound. 2. The "invisible stick" mounting system. It makes the mount disappear in the frame. 3, and Biggest reason that I want one.. 360ish (it's not REALLY 360 as stitching has to occur between camera lenses) view. Mount on the front, and it see's 98% of everything around you. Using the software, you can decide what you are seeing frame by frame. You can have it looking at you, or your buddy next to you, behind you, or in front. Very nice feature. I also think that it would be an outstanding "dash cam" in case of an incident because it covers almost all areas. It will also function without the battery by being plugged into a USB for power. So, in theory, with a big enough SD card, you can record an entires day ride by having it plugged in without having to worry about your battery dieing or having to change batteries every half hour or so. So, to me thats a big selling point...its an action cam and dash cam in one package. Also, food for thought to anyone looking at it or any other action camera.... get it at Best Buy (you'll pay more) and buy the Geek Squad accident protection....drop it, crash it, rock strike on the fragile lens (I'm not pleased with the non replaceable lenses) and take it to Best Buy and hand it to them... fixed (probably not) or replaced (most likely). Doing it this way, you'll likely pay a little more, but you won't be out the money if/when something happens. My Osmo action has replaceable lenses, and I keep an extra on hand when I ride...how in the hell small rocks beat the small odds of hitting the lens on the camera I'll never know, but it does happen.
Turns out Costco has the Insta 360 X3 on sale right now. It is a pretty versatile little device based on what I've read. I am going to Alaska, flying there, for a couple of weeks in June and I think this might be nice on the hikes there too.

Based on your OP I would concentrate on the "sit here and twist that" features of your bike. Seat, bars, pegs and wind management and it sounds like you have those covered or at least considering changes to them.

Traveling long distances means long periods of time in the saddle. Get comfortable and distance comes easier. Ferret mentioned TPMS and some way to work around the lack of cruise control. Those are important to me as are tools to adjust the chain, tire plugging tools and an air compressor. I generally don't carry tools to do major roadside repairs but I keep up a good roadside assistance plan through BMWMOA. A 4000 mile trip is a series of 500 mile trips and those are easier to plan for.
Hey Dave, can you please elaborate on the BMWMOA? Should we assume that you own a BMW and are therefore able to get membership benefits when traveling on any bike or just a BMW?

Hey Dave, can you please elaborate on the BMWMOA? Should we assume that you own a BMW and are therefore able to get membership benefits when traveling on any bike or just a BMW?
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. You don't have to own a BMW to join or maintain membership. Their Roadside assistance covers up to three motorcycles of any brand. Benefits include 100 miles of towing to any destination, road hazard tire protection, retail & travel discounts, Owners News magazine, etc.. I kept my membership during years when I didn't even own a BMW.

BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. You don't have to own a BMW to join or maintain membership. Their Roadside assistance covers up to three motorcycles of any brand. Benefits include 100 miles of towing to any destination, road hazard tire protection, retail & travel discounts, Owners News magazine, etc.. I kept my membership during years when I didn't even own a BMW.
Thanks for this. Those packages are pretty attractive. The tires alone could help those who are puncture prone.

I agree that the Altrider is the best engineered product. Pity about its heavy price tag ! (ouch)
Iron Skill products are good value and unpretentious but you'd need to cut out a little piece of the undertray to fit them.
JPCycles is also good value and appears to be well made, although its too blingy/Harley for our Hondas in my view
Ohh! Thank you for pointing that out. I thought they were referring to the fitment of the skid plate in combination with these pegs.

I did my Newfoundland trip on the NC and it did the job nicely. I would consider you add a way to bring along extra gasoline, as was already mentioned. I carry a one gallon RotopaX.

I suggest heated hand grips. For a cold morning in Canada, or to deal with temperature changes at elevations out west, just push the buttons and your hands are warmed. No need to pack extra gear or heated gear just for those moments you need a little heat.

Some things like throttle control devices are individual preferences. I have never had a problem holding the throttle all day.

I started my 6000 mile Newfoundland trip with a new chain and new tires. (Set the previous chain aside for later use). As the chain was new, it required very little attention. The only thing that failed on the long trip was the right rear wheel bearing, although it made it home. You may want to make sure that bearing is reasonably fresh, as others have also had it fail.
What locations did you consider for the mounting of the Rotopax? Where did you end up mounting it in the end?

What locations did you consider for the mounting of the Rotopax? Where did you end up mounting it in the end?
My 1 gallon RotoPax gasoline mounts to Dale’s rack, then a dry bag sits on top of the RotopaX on long trips. I couldn’t think of any other possible locations that would work. I also can and sometimes do carry 30 ounces of gasoline in an MSR bottle inside a tractor tool/document tube mounted inboard of the side case rack.

On my CRF 250, I carry an MSR bottle inside a padded Pelican case mounted as a top case on a rear rack.

My 1 gallon RotoPax gasoline mounts to Dale’s rack, then a dry bag sits on top of the RotopaX on long trips. I couldn’t think of any other possible locations that would work. I also can and sometimes do carry 30 ounces of gasoline in an MSR bottle inside a tractor tool/document tube mounted inboard of the side case rack.

On my CRF 250, I carry an MSR bottle inside a padded Pelican case mounted as a top case on a rear rack.
Thank you! I appreciate the additional options to consider.

Back