• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I Smell Gas (Petrol)

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After returning home from a two hour ride yesterday I detected a gas smell while I was walking the bike around the yard into it's parking space. I had refilled the tank an hour earlier on the ride. The bike was blown over in early August in a violent thunderstorm so I'm wondering if something might have come loose that is only evident after the bike is ridden. I have almost 2000 miles on the bike now.

When you filled the tank, did you 'top it off'? Sometimes you can fill it beyond the level plate and expansion will cause vapors and sometimes liquid to escape. Look under the over-flow tube just forward of the side stand and see if it's dripping. I would think that if "something had come loose" from the bike falling over, it would be evidenced by a leak appearing. You would probably have seen fuel dripping somewhere. Plus if the bike just tipped over (as opposed to crashing) it is unlikely that anything in the fuel system was damaged.

check the fuel cap. Might not be aligned well.
also clean around the cap area, you might of spilled a little

After returning home from a two hour ride yesterday I detected a gas smell while I was walking the bike around the yard into it's parking space.
Same here. My bike also smells like something is burning after riding in the rain.....After riding in the rain I can also see wisps of smoke coming up from somewhere in the vicinity of the radiator...

This is a very weird motorcycle that isn't giving me warm fuzzy feelings...No offense to Fuzzy ;-)

Last edited:
Same here. My bike also smells like something is burning after riding in the rain.....After riding in the rain I can also see wisps of smoke coming up from somewhere in the vicinity of the radiator...

This is a very weird motorcycle that isn't giving me warm fuzzy feelings...

I had the steam coming up on rainy days so I got a Fenda Extenda. I have also smelled something burning after a ride soon after putting the Madstad windshield on. I still love the bike. The seat sucks, the suspension sucks but I still think this bike is a keeper.

I've had the weird smell thing, probably just things heating up as they hit the radiator, double for the steam since the bill hook fairings are in-front of the radiator it makes sense the heated water would escape up into the instrument area.

The previous posts in this thread cover everything I can think of to find the source of fuel vapor. As for the rainy day steam/smoke, it probably isn't the radiator. If you look below the radiator you'll find the catalytic converter. The cat gets a lot hotter than the radiator and any water that hits it will turn to steam pretty quickly.
kpinvt, I wasn't overly thrilled with the stock seat and suspension either. In my case a ride to Sargeant Seats and a set of Race Tech gold valves and fork springs took care of those issues. :)

In addition, you can't believe how hot the oil filter will get. Any water hitting that will steam up immediately. You can pretty much take any motorcycle (and most autos) that are new to you and find things that don't give you "warm, fuzzy feelings". Can things go wrong or be off on your bike? Sure. Same as any other machine.

But it's a Honda.... not exactly known for having a multitude of problems. ENJOY!!!!

The burning smell and the vapour when the bike is hot after rain, were previously discussed on other threads on here. Hot cat+road dirt and rain = smells . Hot engine and rad soaked with water from the road will produce residual steam occasionally on any bike. Both these issues are basically harmless. However a smell of fuel can either be a release of fuel vapour from the tank venting system, or a leaking connection. Obviously the latter will need investigation.

In addition, you can't believe how hot the oil filter will get. Any water hitting that will steam up immediately. You can pretty much take any motorcycle (and most autos) that are new to you and find things that don't give you "warm, fuzzy feelings". Can things go wrong or be off on your bike? Sure. Same as any other machine.

But it's a Honda.... not exactly known for having a multitude of problems. ENJOY!!!!

And a hell of a lot better than BMW's. Just don't tell anyone in my club I just said that.

If the charcoal vapour recovery canister filled up with fuel after a tip over, it sometimes takes really long time to finally evaporate, and this can lead to a pronounced gasoline smell.

Back