• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I thought my radiator was leaking, but is this normal?

Jasonrj

Reaction score
plus.google.com
New NC700X owner here.

30 minute ride in pouring rain, bike was parked out in it maybe 10 minutes. Once I got off the bike in my driveway there was a ton of steam coming up. It looked like water was coming out the top of the radiator, or possibly dripping down on top and running down it. Is that a normal sort of thing?

Video explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux51xPzWf2I&feature=youtu.be

I watched your radiator and I've noticed the same thing. I think it's just water and road crud baking off the header which is just below the radiator and exposed to everything that's kicked up off the front tire. I was concerned about it too, but I only notice it when it's been raining. Hopefully someone else can chime in too.

Well if it were coolant it would have a sweet smell, there would be a green puddle, your reservoir would show a lower level and it would continue to spew after you shut the bike off in a more dramatic way. It appears that it's just rain water that collected somehow and is dripping down. Easy enough to test though. If it still does it when it's dry out (and the bike is dry too) you have a problem.

I recall another post recently where someone else was also concerned about the steam rising after riding in the rain and it turned out to be normal. My money is on it being just a character of the bike when riding in rain.

1. During heavy rainfalls, I also noticed a big steaming problem. (Therefore I don't ride in the rain anymore).
2. It does seem you need to observe the radiator.
3. I don't think it is a real leak. If yes, the green stuff would be in the water. It is probably just water.
If it leaks, it will leak on a sunny day also.

Ride safe, don't worry so much.
I once had a friend who worried so much about his brand new Kawa Zaphire 750, he imagined all sorts of problems and had sleepless nights. Not worth it at all.

Well if it were coolant it would have a sweet smell, there would be a green puddle, your reservoir would show a lower level and it would continue to spew after you shut the bike off in a more dramatic way. It appears that it's just rain water that collected somehow and is dripping down. Easy enough to test though. If it still does it when it's dry out (and the bike is dry too) you have a problem.

I recall another post recently where someone else was also concerned about the steam rising after riding in the rain and it turned out to be normal. My money is on it being just a character of the bike when riding in rain.
There was definitely no sweet smell. It was just like a hot and wet smell like you would expect from plain water.

1. During heavy rainfalls, I also noticed a big steaming problem. (Therefore I don't ride in the rain anymore).
2. It does seem you need to observe the radiator.
3. I don't think it is a real leak. If yes, the green stuff would be in the water. It is probably just water.
If it leaks, it will leak on a sunny day also.

Ride safe, don't worry so much.
I once had a friend who worried so much about his brand new Kawa Zaphire 750, he imagined all sorts of problems and had sleepless nights. Not worth it at all.
I live in Washington and this is my only vehicle so not riding in the rain isn't really an option for me. It's just weird that this is the only time it has happened so far.

I don't worry much but there was a huge cloud of steam coming up from my bike and probably a quart of water dumping out in less than a minute before I got the camera so that was a little unusual and concerning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't think it is anything to worry about. You can ride the bike in the rain. A fender extender may reduce water collecting if this bothers you assuming that is that the water is being thrown above the radiator by the front wheel.

As long as you don't mind the smell it's no big deal. I ride in all weather conditions and this has been happening to me since buying the bike. We talked about it in the other thread someone listed above. Nothing to worry about. Just smelly.

Yep, just odd. It has rained here probably 5 times or so since I got my bike in later 2012. I was riding in 2 of those rains, that I can recall. Happened both times. Bike does _not_ use any coolant nor leak. Same thing would happen on a car if it had no bodywork and if the front wheels were right in front of the engine, radiator, and exhaust.

Fear not. Sleep well. :)

It hasn't rained but a couple more times than that, on the right side of WA (where I lived 30 or so years). ;)

After taking a ride pour some water on it from a spray bottle and the steam will also come from the radiator. It is about 85-105 C degree hot. Just give it a try... or you can also pour just a little water on the exhaust pipe, it will instantly boil.
Get a fender extender and that will solve so many problems - just like no more dirt on the spark plug covers, radiator and the cat.converter. And those little rocks and debris from the road will not hit the radiator anymore!

I just commented on your video on YouTube but I'll paste the same comment here. Basically saying the same thing everyone else is. In this case, I don't think you have a problem with the radiator.

"I don't believe it's a leak in your radiator. Just after a ride, there would be too much pressure in the radiator for water to just drip/pour out. Instead, it would shoot out steam from the high pressure. Also, the coolant is green and has a sweet, very distinct smell. You would see a green puddle and smell the coolant if the radiator was leaking. It doesn't seem you have much to worry about. More than likely, water pooled up somewhere just above the radiator and dripped down on top of it. I have the exact same bike and have never experienced that, but I've also never ridden in pouring rain. Just keep an eye on it the next few rides. If there is a problem and your radiator is leaking, the temp light will come on on the dash and the coolant reservoir will be empty."

I ride my FJR1300 and the NC700 in the rain all the time here in the Seattle/Tacoma area and both are steaming and stinking after a ride in the rain. As long as the coolant level isn't going down, you're good to go.

fender extender..... they work wonders for my Burgman. Just looking at the angle (in your video) of road/tire/fender, I'd syayou're just slinging more water than normal. You said it was a downpour!

Back