• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I Won't Be Riding For A While

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or working for another week at least. On 02-14 I had one of these procedures done:

Thumb CMC (Basal Joint) Arthroplasty - Thumb Joint Reconstruction - Patient Education | Orthopaedic Associates of Central MD | Orthopedists in Maryland

I had the one where a tendon from the arm is wrapped around the base of the thumb to cushion it. Hunt-and-peck typewriting sucks with your secondary hand. Here's hoping the pain I've had in my right hand over the past couple of years gets better. The pain was lessened greatly last year at this time when I started wearing one of these:

Push MetaGrip(R) | by Push Braces

The brace pushes the bones far enough apart to give the joint relief from constant friction. It's not a cure but it did stop my entire right arm from throbbing painfully.

Riding the bike hasn't been a problem as I don't grip the throttle with my thumb, just with the pads at the base of the fingers. Turning the hard-to-get-to key hurts like hell as does opening the side and top cases, zippers suck too.

The surgeon said 6 weeks until I get the cast off and a couple more months for full recovery.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and kind wishes. The cast came off yesterday. Boy did it stink after three weeks, like a high priced limited edition cheese at some highfalutin food boutique. The cast was made of 3 inch wide strips of self-curing fiberglass laid over a cotton tube cut a little longer that the first layer of glass. Once the first layer starts to set the ends of the cotton tube are pulled over the first layer and then a second layer is laid on. the whole thing was set in about half an hour. The fiberglass is very abrasive and the aftercare instructions say to take a flat file to it to soften the sharp edges. It was so abrasive I thought it would tear the inside of the sleeves of my clothing. Rather than spread fiberglass powder around the house I wrapped the cast in blue exterior painter's tape. The hand is still sore from the surgery but is is very nice to be back to typing with both hands. The office I work in gave me a Microsoft ergo keyboard. The casting tape looks like it could be useful beyond setting bones. Oops, back to work. Cast.jpg

Back