• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'm curious to know...

Woody

Reaction score
Visit site
How many of you own (and ride) more than one bike? I'm only two months into this biking lark and still have a lot to learn about how to master my NC750, yet biker friends are already asking my when I intend to upgrade. I know a lot of it is just banter, but it does get me thinking about how common it is to own and ride two or more bikes? If you do, what is the reason, and what do you have? The guy who busts my balls the most about this owns a Streetfighter and a Fireblade, yet he can't really explain why he feels the need to have two bikes. Maybe you guys can articulate a little better on this.

Thanks.

Woody

Different bikes can do different types of riding better than other types. It's a way to broaden the riding experience. Wood workers, metal workers, doctors, etc., have different tools for different jobs. Motorcycle enthusiasts are no different. I have a heavy sport touring bike and a lighter more nimble bike plus a small scooter.

My father in law also has an ST1300, along with a VFR 1200 and a BMW R1200RT, all of which seem to a newbie like me to be very similar bikes. He's had the VFR since the DCT was introduced back in 2010, and for some reason wants to sell me the much newer Beemer. I was always taught to beware of family members who want to sell you something, so I'm happily sticking with my NC for the time being.

I have 2 bike; the NC is the one I ride more with and the other one is a Honda NX250 for the trail. If I could, I'd buy another one... Cafe Racer style for the sunday morning ride but the wife would kill me and I couldn't ride no more !

I like having two bikes, I've owned a small bike (Honda CBR250) and a larger bike (NC700x or more recently a Versys 650 LT) for a few years. My CBR is just sooo fun and it is so easy to drive. By that I mean it's effortless to make the bike go where I want to, I can turn very sharp, etc. But the larger bike is what I use for adventures (road trips).

But after I was in an accident with my NC700x (now replaced with the Versys) I'm going to sell the smaller bike and just focus on having one safe bike. By that I mean install a louder horn, add additional lights, reflective tape, a dash cam, etc. I don't want to go through all that with two bikes so I'm selling the CBR.

2B, A friend of mine got the BMW R nine -t and it is certainly a stylish looking bike. Another guy I know rides a Triumph Thruxton, which appeals to me mostly because I'm a transplanted Brit, and I feel obliged to own a Triumph at some point. Either way, these retro bikes are certainly all the rage at the moment. Unfortunately, it sounds like my wife has been comparing notes with yours.

Last edited:
The count fluctuates over time, but we currently have 7 motorcycles and scooters ranging from 49cc to 1832cc, and ranging from pure dirt to full dress touring. They're different tools for different jobs. The vast majority are purchased used from private sales, so the cash outlay is minimal.

Last edited:
I don't need more than one fork and one knife at the dinner table

I've ridden others, but I have two that are both fuel efficient, low maintenance as far as that is possible with motorcycles, and sufficiently different in feel and capabilities that I don't feel I've been too redundant. I can only ride one at a time, and I never fail to enjoy either one, so I won't be adding to the count. In fact I'd have one less if the marketplace would fill the niche in between the two satisfactorily with something that could do freeway speeds with some reserve on tap, had a good subframe for attaching racks/luggage, was still fuel efficient and low maintenance, and had decent clearance and suspension for off-road and still relatively light.

But I'm not losing sleep over having two machines to farkle and maintain until that day comes. In fact it gives me a spare if needed. I love 'em both and my heart is always filled to the brim, Jim.

Also have two mid-priced bikes, one with studded tires on it, the other with mid-width hybrid tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 with motors, and 3 with me as the motor. The two motorized I bought, the three where I am the motor, I built myself.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I've owned a bunch of different ones over the years and had as many as five squeezed in the garage at one time. Just down to the NC now. Each bike scratches a different itch. No one bike ever seems to "do it all". (But I keep looking!! And buying!)

Variety is the spice of life. :cool:

I have had 2 bikes at a time a couple of different times. I always felt I wasn't riding one of them enough. :rolleyes:
That said I completely agree with the sentiments expressed about how different bikes are suited for rides and make them more enjoyable.

Oh jeez, it did say "bikes", didn't it. Well if you count both engine and people powered, now we're up to 12 at my house!

I have two very different bikes that give me very different rides. The Zero is almost feels like it isn't a motorcycle at all. The silence is amazing - when I come to a stop there is nothing - no noise, no vibration, nothing. After two years of ownership I am still not used to it. After riding the Zero I actually enjoy the sound and vibration of the NC. But the Zero is so much quicker than the NC there is almost no comparison. It goes from 30-70 mph in under 3 seconds and is a thrill ride. From stoplight to stoplight it is just about unbeatable and you can pin it without attracting unwanted attention. The Zero is the perfect urban warrior. The NC is far better on the freeway - bigger, heavier, more planted and of course it has no range limitations so it is my long distance bike. I really enjoy having two distinctly different motorcycles that feel so unlike one another.

It also helps to have two bikes when one breaks down. My Zero was recently in the shop for a month to replace the charger. No problem, NC to the rescue. I would have gone into withdrawal without a second motorcycle.

Oh jeez, it did say "bikes", didn't it. Well if you count both engine and people powered, now we're up to 12 at my house!
When you put it that way, I'm already up to three, including one e-bike. I guess I've been bitten by the bug more than I realised.

How many bikes do I have? With and without motors? Can't say I ever learned to count that high, as it exceeds the number of toes and fingers on my body.

At the end of 2014, I bought my '13 NC700XD from a friend in MI. Prior to that I only had the NT700V that I bought in Dec '09. Good thing about having two bikes is that you always have one to ride while you're working on the other. Bad thing about having two bikes is that it takes more floor space in the garage.

I also have two bicycles, one modern and one new, and two vintage bikes, one is display only while the other is a runner...if I ever get off my behind to fix a few things! :)

Three with motors here.
One we hardly ever ride anymore (1992 Honda Shadow 1100).
Always had to have a large cruiser on hand for weekending with my wife.
The other two are the 2013 Honda NC700X and a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx.
Those two are so similar.
Since riding the two ADV style bikes the cruiser sits.
The handling on these are so different.
The cruiser style and feel is my least favorite (from a life long guy who would only have a cruiser!)
But when it comes to two up riding the cruiser is most comfortable for my wife.

With all that said, it is nice to have several bikes.
Needed?
Not really.
But each bike handles so differently.
And like I stated earlier, the passenger on the cruiser is most comfortable.
I may have gotten rid of the Shadow a while ago but it was the bike I had when my wife and I were first seeing each other and she is attached to it.

The only other two I would consider at this point is a Triumph Bonneville and/or a Kawaski Nomad.

Woody - No matter what happens I recommend you hold onto the NC.
It is a great gas mileage machine and can take you so many places.
Unless life dictates you trade it in or get rid of it, try to retain it for the economy and fun it brings you.
You can make it more comfortable, useful, and fun with a little farkle here and a little farkle there.
But even stock it is a great machine.

God bless!!

Michael

I have a NC700x and a 1985 BMW R80 RT converted to a naked bike. The idea here is to have a bike that starts EVERYDAY and will go ANYWHERE...and...a very cool old bike that will start most days and will go most anywhere (without maintenance)

I've three right now, but the 650 nighthawk needs to go. It is never ridden. I have a 71 Honda SL 350 K1. Nastalgia bike. I rode one in High School. I want a 250 dual sport, not hard core, TW 200 or XT250. Something easy and light. Really don't need one b/c there is no dirt nearby to ride. I've considered a trials bike. There is a group nearby with regular competitions. Would love to find an old, inexpensive one....one with a seat. I'm old and get tired.

Back