• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

IMS - Chicago, Feb 10-12

I'm going, but am prepared to be disappointed. Over the years I haven't seen any bikes that made my socks roll up and down. Now, if Honda would come out with a CB700 retro with DCT and ABS with lots of chrome ----- dream on.

I may go to the one in Cleveland in 3 weeks with my best buddies from Bloomington (Indiana). One of them wants to check out the Rebel 500...

I guess Dallas is the closest one to me, still a pretty good drive and a little brisk to ride there.
Still, it might be fun.

I'd like to go to one of these shows sometime, if they'd just have one in K.C.
I'm not sure which would be closer Chicago, Dallas or Minneapolis, any of those would be bit of a drive especially if the weather is bad.

The Dallas show is January 13 - 15, 2017. The show in Dallas last year was the first time I set on an Africa Twin. I was really surprised that I could set flat footed on the AT.
After trying to walk the Dallas show last year, I knew I had to get my kness replaced if I was to continue riding. So, I have had both my kness replaced now, but it still is a few months before I will be able to walk the distance of a motorcycle show. Sure wish I could go!!!!

3-4 years ago, they had one in Indianapolis Indiana. Unfortunately, there was a poor showing (low ticket sales) and it has not returned :(

3-4 years ago, they had one in Indianapolis Indiana. Unfortunately, there was a poor showing (low ticket sales) and it has not returned :(

I went to that one in Indianapolis, and enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't return there.

I may go to the one in Cleveland in 3 weeks with my best buddies from Bloomington (Indiana). One of them wants to check out the Rebel 500...

I'll probably go to the Cleveland show again this year, though I swear every year I won't go back. it seems to get smaller each year and mostly "lifestyle" garbage for sale. Having said that, in the dead of winter a 4 hour road trip to do anything M/C related is needed. And I have had the good fortune to find something that I "need" every year!

DC this weekend...

So what did you think about the DC show? I was there Sunday and must admit I found it lacking in what I really wanted to do there. I wanted to be able to sit on a Versys 650 back to back with the NC700X but Honda was not there and the local dealer didn't bring any bikes. Sales guy from local Kawi dealership who I'd talked with before was there supporting his brands and he spotted me and we chatted a bit about the bikes but he doesn't carry Honda. Otherwise show was full of wonderful motorcycles that I'd have if money and time were no object but as for what I'm looking for now it just didn't give me the opportunity.
There was a whole lot of touch pads at every booth wanting your info so that they can flood you with marketing calls etc but for the most part the overall make up of the show just reinforced that I'm not the typical motorcycle rider they market to anymore. There were some good presentations about maintenance and and track riding schools but otherwise the best for me was a round the world trip by Glen Heggstad that was featured on Nat'l Geo channel.

There is a motorcycle/powersports trade show called AIM-Expo which has been in Orlando for the past 5+ years. Before that it was called the Motorcycle Dealer News show and started in Cincy then moved to Indy for a few years before making the trek to Orlando.

This year, AIM-Expo will be in Columbus, OH and is truly a mega-show with probably has 4-times the floor/display space of the Progressive shows that travel the country. The first two days are for industry people only then they open it for the general public on Saturday and Sunday. When I was in the biz, I went about every other year. Because it's mainly for people in the trade, you'll shop tools & fixtures, computer parts systems, etc.

The dates are Sept 21-24, with 23-24 for the general public and with it not being in the winter, most of you can ride to Columbus!

ps. the last time I went to the Progressive show in Cleveland, too many of the vendors were selling crap not related to motorcycling: sunglasses, snake oil, basement sealers, etc. :-(

Last edited:
I'll be going to the Dallas show this weekend. Though it does look like Honda won't be there. Still looking forward to taking a day for myself.

I may head down to the Dallas show. It will be ok to ride today, but then a few nasty days.

Two more days til the IMS - Chicago. I've printed my tickets. Wife and Jr are excited. Interesting since she claims to be terrified of motorcycles and stuff.
Hey Dirtflier, thanks for the info about the AIM. If I can get the time off in September I may drive the family out to Columbus get a hotel and make a weekend of it. Road trip!!!

I didn't make it to the one in Cleveland (had to work) but 2 of my riding buddies did and they stated in was a waste of time. Smaller than it has in the past. Honda did have a booth set up though in Cleveland and had the Rebel 500 but one of the buddies (who rides the Rebel 250) didn't like it, stated she was more cramped sitting on the 500 than her 250, she didn't like the forward controls either. Hopefully more dealers in Chicago will be present.

Back