• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installing a good Mirror "RideScan!"

very cool, but what a rip off. this should be a $20 item based on the material being used. there is no new tech about this. is just the only one in the market?

JoeZ, I like the wide angle it affords, but I notice you have it installed what appears to be squarely in your forward line of sight. Doesn't it block your vision? Is this the recommended installation?

No. NOT AT ALL :). If you look at this picture below of me on my bike.... You can see that it's position is at my stomach/chest level. As well, you can lower it if you wanted but I placed it there because it allowed me prime visibility while allowing me to see my video dashcam's screen underneath it. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 150
very cool, but what a rip off. this should be a $20 item based on the material being used. there is no new tech about this. is just the only one in the market?

I agree... It should cost about $20-$30, but like you said... It's the "only" one on the market. And, the inventor made sure to label the top of the item with "PATENTED" But... I should note that part of the high cost factor was something like $20 for the shipping. :-/)

No. NOT AT ALL :). If you look at this picture below of me on my bike.... You can see that it's position is at my stomach/chest level. As well, you can lower it if you wanted but I placed it there because it allowed me prime visibility while allowing me to see my video dashcam's screen underneath it. :)

OK, thanks for the clarification. The side-view picture helps.

its what is in front is what you need to keep your eye on.
the only time you need to look behind is when you are about to overtake another in front
anyway heres a cheaper alternative....
Blind Spot Mirror | eBay

Last edited:
its what is in front is what you need to keep your eye.
the only time you need to look behind is when you are about to overtake another in front
anyway heres a cheaper alternative....
Blind Spot Mirror | eBay

My one serious near collision was exactly what nearly happened to the inventor of the RideScan. Some idiot speeding and approaching from a blind spot. That's why I felt this mirror was worth the money. As well, I also have those cheap alternative mirrors too, as you can see on my original posted pictures. All'n'all This RideScan mirror "will" save lives and the money paid is well worth it for that reason alone.

A friend of mine made himself something just like this quite a few years (5-6) ago for next to nothing.
He used a mirrored faceshield, cut to his preferred dimensions and some double sided tape and Voila!!
To be honest here, it wasn't as clear as a true mirror but then again, who cares.
I don't think it's all that critical that it be mirror clear, only that it lets you know there is something in your blind spots.

I think that's a pretty cool mirror. As far as what some think it should cost, if we only paid for things for our bikes based on the "perceived" value, I don't think anyone would buy half the accessories we do. Ergo, an $80 12V accessory socket from Honda or $800 LED lights from Clearwater. Just two examples. If one believes that this mirror will add an extra element of safety in preserving their life, $70 is a small price to pay IMO.

I think that's a pretty cool mirror. As far as what some think it should cost, if we only paid for things for our bikes based on the "perceived" value, I don't think anyone would buy half the accessories we do. Ergo, an $80 12V accessory socket from Honda or $800 LED lights from Clearwater. Just two examples. If one believes that this mirror will add an extra element of safety in preserving their life, $70 is a small price to pay IMO.

In my experience there are certain categories of goods that command higher prices than their identical counter parts.

Things like rack mountable servers, which back when I was doing IT admin stuff cost about 20-50% more than their IDENTICAL tower system... only difference was two brackets on the case that allowed the machine to be bolted into a rack.
But "rack mountable" is what you want in a professional data center, makes the installs clean, makes maintenance easy, and keeps the wires from becoming a tangled mess... any one buying a rack mountable machine has the money to pay extra, so they charge a lot extra.

Marine grade hardware is a similar thing, just putting the words "Marine grade" on something ups the price substantially... but again, if some one can afford a boat, they can afford to pay more for their hardware, just to know that it is marine grade.

I think motorcycles are the same way... both in that putting a picture of a motorcycle on something dramatically increases the price (go look at oil) but also in that people who own motorcycles generally have expendable income. They can jack up the price, and so long as we'll still pay it they'll keep taking our money.

As for the mirror, it's a neat idea, but I think it would drive me crazy, and my job pays me to make me crazy so parting with $70 to do the same seems like a waste. :)

I also think that not having full visibility around myself on the roads keeps me sharper...
Driving with blind spots mean I need to keep tabs on every thing that enters and exits those spots to know if there is anything there at any given time.
In the car I'm admittedly lazy, mirrors take car of the blind spots, and my brain doesn't have to work as hard to keep track of traffic, if the rear view mirror is block I have to make sure I switch my brain on to track other vehicles still. On the bike I really want to be forced to keep my brain working on whats around me all the time, it's a bit more tiring but it's a good kind of tired.

Back