• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Interesting stripe on my passenger seat...

dog

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
image.jpg

So what's your best guess on how I did it? Will post the details later today. Hint: cargo was involved....

So what's your best guess on how I did it? Will post the details later today. Hint: cargo was involved....

Tease! :p

I'm all curious now. For me, when I strapped cargo to my F800ST seat, I wrapped webbing straps (later version changed to ratchet straps) under the seat, and then up and over the cargo. This effectively attached the luggage to the seat, not the bike, allowing me to either just remove the cargo, or remove the seat with the luggage undisturbed, to get at stuff under the seat if needed.

Doing this, my method would not have had a strap tight against the seat top like that. I can't figure out how that mark could be put there! :D

Back in the day, many of my Hondas used to have a strap across the seat for passengers to grab onto. I don't know if anyone ever used them! None of mine ever did, and everyone I know with a bike and strap would eventually take it off. This often left a semi-permanent crease/stripe across the seat just like that, depending on how long it took you to remove it.

It looks like a friction burn from a strap to me.

BINGO -- You win! (You're probably way too smart for your own good!)

And now for the rest of the story...

On Tuesday I was going to ride over to a shop to have my new Pirellis mounted at lunchtime.

(That didn't work out either: No ABS Post)

So I go out to the parking lot, pull off my GIVI E55 topbox, and use a lashing strap to secure the two Pirellis to GIVI monokey mount and passenger seat. All seemed well until I lost the tires on the ramp to the freeway. Looked back to see the tires rolling and one of Houston's finest (a cop in a cruiser) passing us all. (I KINDA assumed he would hit his lights and stop so I could gather the tires safely -- no such luck.) Parked the bike up next to the right side barrier and dodged cars to pick up the tires. (They were a little scuffed up, but OK -- wouldn't have believed they would have some mileage on them before even being on the bike.) It was when I was walking back to the bike with the tires that I saw what happened. The free end of the lashing strap holding the tires had got caught in the chain. Didn't think to snap any pics out on the ramp but here's some from home:

1bent_mount-small.jpg2bent_brackets.JPGmissing_paint-small.JPG

Not sure how all that is going to display, but what you should see is how I messed up monokey mount, bent the brackets holding the side-arm, stripped the paint off some of the trim.

Here's a couple of pics showing a sort of "before and after" of the lashing strap (using a different one for the "before" shot.)
unchained_strap-small.jpgchained_strap-small.JPG

I had to cut it out of my rear sprocket on the side of the freeway while waiting on a work buddy to come carry the tires to the guys that were going to change them out.

So what REALLY happened? I got in a hurry and obviously didn't think to either secure the loose end of the strap OR just place it at the top of the load instead down low near the chain: HUMAN ERROR!

Damage doesn't seem to be too bad considering what COULD have happened. GIVI side arm appears to be OK and I think I can get the bent brackets back to their original shape with a vice and baby sledge. Have to live with that damn stripe as a daily reminder of my stupidity though....

Last edited:
I "liked" your post, not because I "liked" what happened to you, but rather that you shared your story. Sounds like it was quite the scene and lessons were learned with no people injury. Somethings are painful to admit, but hopfully you saved someone else from making the same mistake. Again, thanks for sharing.

WGW

Auugh! :eek:

That could have been a right nasty event!

Glad you survived relatively unscathed!

Same as WGW and Turbo, a "like" not for what happened, but you know. :)

Boy that could have been bad, glad to hear your alright and nothing more serious happened. Mental note "dont do that"

How true............more than one guy has crashed when stuff gets tangled in the rear wheel or sprocket.............a surprise rear tire locked skid could be a real hand full.

Last edited:
This thread should be on a Rok Strap testimonial. This oops wouldn't have happened if I was using ROK Straps.

Back