• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Iron Butt - Saddlesore 1000 miles in less then 24 hours

The_Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
Weather and other circumstances permitting, I am planning on a 1034 mile ride taking less then 24 hours to complete, and getting a certificate from the Iron Butt Associtation for doing so. I plan on leaving around 11pm Friday (April 26) or perhaps the next day. I'm starting in Phoenix, heading West to San Diego, then North to Las Vegas, and then Southeast back to Phoenix. I'll be traveling light, and will only have my frunk for storage. I'm not interested in only going on the interstate, and my plan ride has other roads besides them. I have pre-scheduled all my stops, and the maximum distance to gas stops is 181 miles (which I think is doable without carrying extra fuel). I'm not sure, if I'll be caring extra fuel, but will have tools, tire repair kit, air compressor, rags, chain lube, and water. I'll be doing the ride with no windscreen. The original windscreen that came with the bike produces to much buffeting around my helmet, and I'm not sure what optional windscreens will work for me. Bike will be completely stock except for the 2 in. Rox handlebar risers and electrical hookup to my android phone, and possible GPS.

I wouldn't be wearing any special equipment, but will be wearing a weave motorcycle jacket with a removable plastic inner liner, jeans, hiking boots, and a full face helmet.

Last edited:
Good luck with that ride! My longest day was 635 miles and included the dragon, which was sooo worth it. I was on a bar bike with no windshield and a potato chip seat. Really make you appreciate that windshield!!!

Have a good time, as you know time management is key to IBA rides. Headwinds can significantly cut into tank range and it helps to know that fuel stops are plentiful. I planned the first ever NC700X SS1000 around 190 to 210 mile gas stops and found the first 500 or so miles I was bucking a stiff wind that caused the low fuel bar to come on at 155 to 165 miles instead of the 180 or 190 I had route-planned for. Fortunately gas was plentiful on my route and I just winged it after throwing the original plan out the figurative window. Like Daboo posted below, the O-ring throttle lock was helpful to rest my right hand from time to time or maybe I had a Go Cruise throttle lock by then.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...on-stop-except-gas-700-mile-trip-8-hours.html

Post#8

Last edited:
A stock NC should have its own category for the iron butt certificate, let's say 100 miles ;)

Good luck !

Weather and other circumstances permitting, I am planning on a 1034 mile ride taking less then 24 hours to complete, and getting a certificate from the Iron Butt Associtation for doing so. I plan on leaving around 11pm Friday (April 26) or perhaps the next day. I'm starting in Phoenix, heading West to San Diego, then North to Las Vegas, and then Southeast back to Phoenix. I'll be traveling light, and will only have my frunk for storage. I'm not interested in only going on the interstate, and my plan ride has other roads besides them. I have pre-scheduled all my stops, and the maximum distance to gas stops is 181 miles (which I think is doable without carrying extra fuel). I'm not sure, if I'll be caring extra fuel, but will have tools, tire repair kit, air compressor, rags, chain lube, and water. I'll be doing the ride with no windscreen. The original windscreen that came with the bike produces to much buffeting around my helmet, and I'm not sure what optional windscreens will work for me. Bike will be completely stock except for the 2 in. Rox handlebar risers and electrical hookup to my android phone, and possible GPS.

I wouldn't be wearing any special equipment, but will be wearing a weave motorcycle jacket with a removable plastic inner liner, jeans, hiking boots, and a full face helmet.

Here's a link to the proposed route I am planning to take. Saddlesore Ride AZ-CA-NV - Google Maps

For a windshield, I would get a Madstad windshield system, I have one on my bike and it works Awesome, but it is more than just a windshield as you remove most of wind the buffeting, all of the vacuum and dirty air circulation behind the oem shield and most of all you SMOOTH out the Air stream, these are Very well thought out and engineered systems.

What You dont get;
1. Is the swirling vacuum of air behind the shield
2. Most buffeting is gone
3. Wind Noise Is Greatly Reduced, I talk to my wife at a normal conversation voice because it is that much quieter, I have heard engine sounds that i had never heard before after i put one of these on, the wind noise is that much quieter.
4. A much smaller Shield acts like a much larger shield as far as protection
5. Worth mentioning again the Air is VERY SMOOTH!!!
6. shield is completely adjustable to the rider, as far as adjustable height, and tilt at bottom and top of the shield.

Madstad offers a 90 day try it, you dont like it return it,

I bought one i did not return it

I have No affiliation for Madstad, they just are great windshield systems

Good luck on the ride! :) It looks like you've done some thinking about this. The GPS is a good idea. The last thing you want is to find you've taken a wrong turn and wasted time trying to find the route again. A small container of gas in a fuel bottle will be good insurance too. I found my gas mileage went down from what I had planned. I ended up stopping a couple times more often than planned. ...another reason to have a GPS.

One other piece of "equipment" that you may wish to look into, is the "Caterpillar 'O' Ring" cruise control. You can actually do the same thing with a thick rubber o-ring from Ace Hardware. It only holds the throttle open, instead of maintaining your speed, but it'll help if you want to take your right hand off the throttle for a minute and move it around some.

Lastly, you may want to check out Weather Underground's Road Trip Planner. Road Trip Planner | Weather Underground Enter the dates and location of your trip and it'll not only plot out your route...but more importantly tell you the forecast along the route at the times you'll be passing through.

It's ironic you posted this today. I was thinking last night of planning a Bun Burner 1500. Once this gets into your blood, it is hard to stop. I love riding twisty roads, the more twisty, the better. But there's something about this that is special too.

Chris

Here's a link to the proposed route I am planning to take. Saddlesore Ride AZ-CA-NV - Google Maps

For a windshield, I would get a Madstad windshield system, I have one on my bike and it works Awesome, but it is more than just a windshield as you remove most of wind the buffeting, all of the vacuum and dirty air circulation behind the oem shield and most of all you SMOOTH out the Air stream, these are Very well thought out and engineered systems.

What You dont get;
1. Is the swirling vacuum of air behind the shield
2. Most buffeting is gone
3. Wind Noise Is Greatly Reduced, I talk to my wife at a normal conversation voice because it is that much quieter, I have heard engine sounds that i had never heard before after i put one of these on, the wind noise is that much quieter.
4. A much smaller Shield acts like a much larger shield as far as protection
5. Worth mentioning again the Air is VERY SMOOTH!!!
6. shield is completely adjustable to the rider, as far as adjustable height, and tilt at bottom and top of the shield.

Madstad offers a 90 day try it, you dont like it return it,

I bought one i did not return it

I have No affiliation for Madstad, they just are great windshield systems

Part of the V Strom air management problem is the distance the shield is from the rider. It's hard to fill that distance with clean air no matter what shield owners install. I have heard that from both a 650 and 1000 owner.

make sure you read the "rules" for the iron butt well. some friends of mind did it, it took a while to get their certificates.
i think you have to have someone "witness" your departure and arrival times.
GPS is a good idea to carry with you, as well as a SPOT.
good luck, have much fun.

You probably won't need the SPOT; this isn't a multi-day trip. The biggest things that come to mind are to get a dated and time stamped fuel receipt when you left ...and when you arrive. The witness is needed too, but it seems like that's isn't as important. If you don't have a time stamp on those two receipts or it is over the 24 hour limit ... you've had a nice long ride for nothing. That's why when I saw some side roads that looked interesting in Idaho, I passed them up. Time management is key. The speed isn't as important when you figure out what your average speed needs to be. But you have to watch your breaks. A nice part about a lot of GPS's is they will tell you your arrival time. I watched that increase as the ride went along after taking some breaks. The GPS can make this trip a lot easier in many ways. :)

I got my wife to be my "witness". So you don't have to get elaborate on finding someone who is unbiased. The gas station receipt is the "unbiased" observer.

It helps if the other gas station receipts are time stamped also, just because it shows your progress across the trip. If you wanted to be unethical, you could get someone to say you did it as the witness, then fill up with gas in your car at the appropriate times (and with the appropriate quantity of gas)...but you'd always know the certificate you got was meaningless.

Chris

Last edited:
I've seen reports from guys who did it here in Japan and learned in the wee hours of the night way off in the boondocks where they roll up the sidewalks at sundown that the fuel stop or store they had planned on using as a source for their receipt was either closed or didn't have indication of location or some other essential info on their receipts. It turned into a mad scramble to collect acceptable evidence.

It couldn't hurt to telephone beforehand the places you plan to use and make sure their receipts contain all you will need.

I've seen reports from guys who did it here in Japan and learned in the wee hours of the night way off in the boondocks where they roll up the sidewalks at sundown that the fuel stop or store they had planned on using as a source for their receipt was either closed or didn't have indication of location or some other essential info on their receipts. It turned into a mad scramble to collect acceptable evidence.

It couldn't hurt to telephone beforehand the places you plan to use and make sure their receipts contain all you will need.
Exactly so. For a SS1000 you really only need a start and finish receipt with accurate times on them plus receipts at the "corners" of the route. There is a log to keep and start/finish witness forms too.

I use Google Street view to look at the station I plan to use and if in doubt call the phone number to verify operation and hours. I almost always buy gas at the same station and the pump prints a good time/date receipt. When I started my this last SS1000 at 3 AM I filled up at that favorite station and the pump did not print a receipt. No problem, I walk over to go inside and the doors were locked. The lights were on but I could not see a clerk nor did one appear for the 10 or 12 minutes I waited. I ended up riding down the road to another station and pumping a few cents worth of gas to get a start time receipt. Something to think about if stations are far apart at the start or finish.

The comments about gas stations being closed when you least expect it hit home to me. I was doing the loop from Snoqualmie Pass to the east side of Washington and then over the North Cascades Highway. I took a little detour over to Okanogan, WA for a gas stop. It was about 3pm. The gas station I planned to use had run out of gas about 15 minutes earlier. There was only one other gas station in town...and this is the largest town for miles.

You'll also want to plan your departure time to miss any rush hour traffic, if you're going through larger cities. Likewise, plan for which direction the sun will be if you can. I left early in the morning and headed east...into the sun. On the way back, I was traveling west...into the sun. Being from Seattle, it didn't occur to me to even consider that. :D

Chris

Thanks for all your comments. I've ordered several items, which came in today to help with the ride. I'm a little bummed that I don't have a windscreen (I removed the stock windscreen that came with the bike), but I think I'll be okay. I'm taking Friday off of work, so I can get a good night's sleep and do any sort of last minute items. I plan on leaving Friday Night at 11pm.

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't planing on turning my SS1000 in this summer, but I may now after reading this thread.

Back