• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC700X for me?

brock29609

Reaction score
Visit site
LOVE my BMW R1200R, which is a 1200cc naked roadster boxer twin. The power, handling, braking, riding posture, comfort... all superb!

However, as I'm nearing 50 the full blast of mostly clean wind to my face gets old after 200-mile days, and I'm concerned about my long-term hearing even though I wear plugs. There just isn't a good windshield option for my BMW.

So, is the NC700X a bike I should strongly consider? I'm OK with a drop in power since I probably should slow down anyway, as long as the engine isn't buzzy.

I mostly tour on multi-day trips, always 1-up. I rarely hit the highway for more than a 30-minute stretch since I live near the mountains. I stick to mostly spirited riding on twisty roads.

I see that luggage space is not a prob with this model, but I am rather demanding when it comes to suspension and seats (willing to pay for upgrades). And as stated, I'm need relatively quiet wind from aftermarket options. Full-fairing bikes won't work because it's just too hot down here (used to have a R1200RT). I need some cooling wind.

I'm 5'9" w/ 32" inseam, 165 lbs.

So, is the NC700X my bike? None available locally to test ride right now. I'm worried it's too practical and not exciting enough. Also considering a 2015+ Versys 650.

Last edited:
I'll probably get contradicted by a few people, but that is the point of a forum discussion with differing opinions. I don't believe these bikes should be thought of as touring bikes. The NC is a great city/commuter bike and for riding up to a couple of hours at a time. Many people use the NC as a long(er) distance bike but they also spend a lot of money to make it a tourer. If you are willing to invest the effort and expense into an NC, you can likely make it great for your needs. But I think the same thing can be said about almost any bike - but enough into it and you can make any bike anything you want.

Wind and seat comfort are discussed non-stop on this forum and if you are looking at long distances you will need to consider upgrading those - although, at 5'9 you likely will have much better luck than some of us taller riders.

If you can find a used model that has already been upgraded (luggage, seat, windshield, etc) you probably will be very happy. You might have to deal with seat and wind issues, but that is a very personal configuration choice.

Note as well that a widely recommended windshield around here is the MadStad. They have one for your bike: R1200R (2011 - 2014) – MadStad Engineering

Since you like power, protection from the wind, and seat comfort, the stock NC700X has three strikes already.

It can work for you, but you WILL need an aftermarket windshield, you will need to spend at least $800 on suspension, you will probably need to try 5 seats because aftermarket seat builders have a hard time getting it right, and even though you say you don't need the power, there is no guarantee you will be satisfied. The power will be 40-50% of what you have with the 1200.

The NC was built with fuel economy as a top priority. You did not mention that on your checklist. The economy is excellent if it's ridden right. If you flog it and drive the mileage down, the range becomes a big issue because the tank holds only 3.7 gallons.

Find a way to test ride an NC700X, but I'd say in your case the Versys might also be worth checking out.

I do love my NCs (I have two), but they are not for everyone.

Last edited:
I'm worried it's too practical and not exciting enough. Also considering a 2015+ Versys 650.

You'll probably be happier with the Versys :(
According to Motorcycle Consumer News the Versys to NC specs are 57.5 hp vs 47.5 hp, 40.76ft/lbs vs 42.57ft/lbs, 0-60 in 4.17 vs 5.7, 1/4 mile 12.66 secs to 14.17 with trap speeds of 100.62 vs 88.41.

Last edited:
I failed to mention that I did test ride a CTX700 a couple years ago and found the power satisfactory, once I got used to the short shifting. Is the power similar?

The big thing I didn't like about the CTX was the lack of lean angle. Pegs dragged too easily. Pegs were too far forward too.

Any model I buy will require aftermarket suspension, seats and windshields, so not concerned about that.

Last edited:
I failed to mention that I did test ride a CTX700 a couple years ago and found the power satisfactory, once I got used to the short shifting. Is the power similar?

Any model I buy will require aftermarket suspension, seats and windshields, so not concerned about that.

The CTX700 has the same engine and transmission as the NC700X. Power output is the same.

In that case it's well worth while to at least test ride one- Search Tempest (a Craigslist aggregator) has 2-3 within 200 miles of you.

Last edited:
The CTX700 has the same engine and transmission as the NC700X. Power output is the same.

I have the NC700, my wife has the CTX700. Yes, power is the same, but the NC is much more fun to ride. (for me that is. my wife prefers her CTX)
When riding together, speed and acceleration is nearly the same. Our shift points are nicely matched. Makes for a pleasant ride for each of us.

Did you also check out the Versys 1000? Very nice touring bike from the factory.
The NC can do what you want, but you have to spend 2000 to get there.
Also try an Africa Twin.

Ditto what many others have already said. If you are OK with the CTX output then the NCX is still an option as long as you're good with dropping decent $ on a Madstad screen, an RDL seat (although there are also other cheaper options that may suffice), and the suspension upgrade. That being said I wouldn't rule out the VFR1200X either if you're good with the additional weight and seat height. Similar engine size to what you have now, still has DCT option (winner in my and many others book, YMMV though!), and a larger tank than the NC.

That being said I wouldn't rule out the VFR1200X either if you're good with the additional weight and seat height.
This is probably my next bike. I love the NC for its commuter friendliness but after four years I'm still missing the power I had with my CBR. I plan to keep the NC but seriously considering buying a VFR1200X.

This is probably my next bike. I love the NC for its commuter friendliness but after four years I'm still missing the power I had with my CBR. I plan to keep the NC but seriously considering buying a VFR1200X.

Yea.. I think I may get a second bike in a year or so. I was looking at the VFR1200X but MAN the price is high. I think I can accomplish the same thing with a Super Tenere. It seems like all the "have money and actually want a BMW but will dip my toe in first" guys buy a Super Tenere, Farkel them to the hilt... then dump them with >15K miles for 1/2 price. You can get a very clean farkled S10 for $7K or less! I'm saving now.

I'll still keep the NC for daily commuting and around town travels.. but I think I'd like a few extra ponies for long trips through mountains.

I did a 6 day, 1700 mile trip a couple of weeks ago through Georgia, Tennessee & Alabama. I'm 5'-7" and just under 165 lbs. I spent a considerable amount of time with mods to make the bike better for long distances. I settled on a Sargent seat with an additional 1/2" layer of firm, closed cell foam, and it works fine for 400+ mile days. I'm using a Puig windshield. I tried a Madstad and it's sitting in a box in my attic. I prefer to lean forward on a bike and the Madstat blocked so much air I would get a sharp pain between my shoulder blades from holding my head up. The Madstad is also so big that it has a noticeable detrimental effect on the bike's already not so perky high speed performance. The bike is perfectly happy to do 75-80 all day long with very little vibration. A tingle comes in past 80. A helmet with good aerodynamics makes a big difference in how much your head gets buffeted around. (I got a Shoie RF 1200 and it made a big difference.)
The biggest issue I have with the lack of zip with the bike is on two lane, twisty roads with lots of elevation changes: the amount of distance needed to make a safe pass of slow moving vehicles is often longer than most straight sections. The bike handles fine once it has a set of decent sport bike tires. I find the suspension to be good here in the South where there is little to no snow & ice that breeds potholes. In places with crappy roads, the ride can probably be harsh. The front end is a little under damped, but that can probably be addressed with a change of fork oil.
Depending on how future trips go, I think I may be looking at something like the Yamaha FJ-09 next year.

A helmet with good aerodynamics makes a big difference in how much your head gets buffeted around. (I got a Shoie RF 1200 and it made a big difference.)

This is spot on. I also have a Shoie RF 1200 and it made a huge difference. I love that helmet!

I also have the Puig wind screen with an added lip on the top. I'm 5'10" and the extra 3 " of lip and the wind rushing under the lip and over it push the wind right over my helmet... nice set up.

I probably wouldn't want to ride more than 500 miles a day on the NC with whatever seat fix. But then, I probably wouldn't want to ride more on any other bike either. I like to stop and take photos, maybe do a little bit of exploring on foot, check out other stuff along the way. Not a candidate for iron butt awards ; }

I used a seat concepts saddle last summer and did anaverage of 425 miles per day for 16 days
No complaints....although I'm saving up for a Russell.

Brock:

Would keeping the R1200R and picking up a second bike be an option?

This way you can keep your power and the fun of the BMW for times that bike would work and take out the NC/Versys for the times that bike would be best.

Many people have multiple bikes in the garage.

Would that be an option?

Just a thought!

God bless!!

Michael

I just purchased my NC700X a few weeks back and really love the machine.

I am your height plus an inch and same inseam but 230 lb's don't tell my wife.

I like small shields and find that at 70mph and down it is fine.

I'm designing a shorter than stock mean looking shield as I plan to make this just my commute bike.

This is a low revving machine and not buzzy or tinny at all.

I test rode the new Kawasaki Z900 and Yamaha XSR and found that at age 56 I didn't need to begin getting speeding tickets
and I did not plan to track a bike.

I've ridden 20 unique bikes over 11 years and logged 100,000 miles in most of the United States.

From cruisers to sport bikes to heavy and low machines to light weight bikes that are flickable.

I love this bike but I also ride a KLR650 2016 that is set up for adventure riding.

My over all plan is to ride the KLR in the dirt and mud and the NC for commuting.

Now is a great time to buy a 2014,15, 16 that is new and on the floor with huge discounts.

I just bought my 2013 for $5,500.00 out the door. Nice.

Back